Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Albatros D V vs SPAD VII - Air combat video

After setting up my new ATI Catalyst Control Center (new version is out for download now),

I installed the also new version of FRAPS and thought I give it a try and make a video.

Sorry for the jaggies - I still have to find out, why they happen. Enjoy anyway!

That was fun. Make another after you get the jaggies fixed. What was the tune and was that a Pfalz?

My craft was an Albatros D V (early version, with the hunchback head rest).

The tune I did not name, as it always gets kicked out by the YouTube guys.

It is "Strange Procession" from Michael Brook's album "Rockpaperscissors".

Danke, funny how if you give credit for the music it's like asking for it to be removed. Now I kind of liked the tune and would not have heard it otherwise now I would know what to shop for. Oh well...

Oh and being so wise from age I see now your thread says DV vs SPAD VII. Thank you for your patience.

Edited by Rickitycrate

Great video Olham,

As i understand the jaggies issue you have are related to the TrackIR.

Have you INCREASED the PRIORITY of the TracKIR?

After running TrackIR 1. press control, alt & del

2. Go to task manager

3. set TrackIR priority to ABOVENORMAL

This should help.

Cheers

Morris

Thank you, Morris - that would be phantastic; will try!

Watched the vid Olham, nice long range shooting! Wish I checked six as often as you did/do; was that just for us? :grin: Have you tried to use TIR and head shifting to the left/right to line up the iron sights? I find it a lot of fun to actually get more physical in the cockpit, hunch over, lean forward, squint one eye, line up the bead and groove, and get that target in the ring... It seems to improve my accuracy quite a bit and I waste less rounds.

As far as setting priority for TIR, and this was mentioned in another thread (which I'm pretty sure you partook of, but heck, what thread does Olham not partake of? :grin: ) do not set priority for any process beyond "above normal" no matter how tempting "real time" sounds for something like TIR (which when you think of it is what you'd want to be as real time as it gets). Embarrassed to say I made that mistake but was set straight...

Edited by Bandy

Good video. At times I have worse jaggies that yours. Lovethe music.

Thank you all!

Bandy, I don't use the gunsights ever. I have developed a feeling for were the bullets will go.

But apart from that, you're right; I also like to move in the cockpit. I lift my bum from the chair

to look over the top wing; I lean out left and right; and in the Albatros D V, I have to bend over

to look past the "hunchback" (headrest).

I found, that the TrackIR 5 software gave me good opportunities for setting things up.

I have far less failures now, were the picture is freezing.

Oh, and yes: I check my six as often as that; I'm flying without TAC, and then it's a 'must'.

Jammer, although it's sorry for you, but I'm (almost) glad you have jaggies too.

I had begun to think, my system was already out of date again.

In case you haven't known already: Morris' advice about the TrackIR setting was very helpful

(thanks agin, Morris!); I have far less jaggies now.

Edited by Olham

Who was the killjoy giving it 1 star? Don't let it bother you Olham. I used to host about 20 movies and got all kinds of stars, some fair, some harsh. Trick is good or bad, don't take it personally. Gave it a ***** to redress the balance anyway. (Hasn't shown up yet, but it will...).

Takes a lot of work to put a video together, but some folks are just plain mean.

BTW, regarding Youtube, I found that anything less than 3 minutes long got about 5 times the traffic as something lasting 8 or 9 minutes. It's nothing to do with the film content, but 8 or 9 minutes takes a long time to load. Keep it to 4 or 5 minutes and watch your hit rate rise steadily.

Edited by Flyby PC

Yeah, thanks Flyby, will try a shorter one, more edited.

Am only just beginning to learn to handle the stuff; and outside views are tricky to fly.

It still isn't easy, but padlock view onto your own wingmen and zoom in. If you time it right you'll get them engaging the enemy, and taking damage or causing it. The knack is keeping yourself close enough to see the action clearly. On padlock view, you don't stop flying but you're blind. I found it helped to slow yourself to stall speed and jump into auto pilot.

Only problem with autopilot is that with your own external view your prop stops turning. (Or did - I read there'd been some modifications to the propellors...), but on external view you can toggle autopilot on and off.

To record a whole mission in one take is very difficult, but refly it a few times doing similar things but from different angles, and splice it all together.

I remember once I took off in a He111, got fast enough to make sure the wingmen following me didn't abort theit take off, then slammed on the brakes and veered off to the side. I snapped onto next wingman padlock view, and got footage of a He111 making a perfect take off, but in a unique flyby mode. It was a flyby in the real sense, he flew past my viewpoint as if I was standing at the end of the runway, - don't use the flyby viewing option. I'm reasonably sure anybody familiar with CFS3 would wonder how the F do you get that view? Easy. You are standing at the end of the runway, - in your own He111 with red hot brakes.

Great idea, will try something like that, Flyby!

Nice one Olham, looks like your about ready to give MP a go.....Salute.gif

Bandy, I don't use the gunsights ever. I have developed a feeling for were the bullets will go....

"Feeling"??? But you use the "hit notifications"!?! or whatever they're called in game. I find that strangely incompatible with the edict of immersion you espouse.

Honestly, not trying to start a fight...

Bandy, I never use them in Campaign. I switched them on for the video,

because I know, what quality comes out in YouTube. This way, it could at least

be seen by the blue lines, that I hit the guy. It was intended to demonstrate

TrackIR to those, who don't use it yet; plus showing some deflection shooting.

Especially for "Krauts vs Crumpets" Full Did Campaign, everything must be switched of.

Red Dog, I'm absolutely not in the least mood for MP yet - I am very, very winter-tired

and much prefer to fly my own little business, just when and how I feel like.

It only makes sense, when I really want to do it. So please, be patient; I will

contact you then, for the "fine-tuning".

Edited by Olham