Sign in to follow this  
zagnut

Memphis Belle C.o. Passed Away

Col. Robert Morgan, commander of the famed Memphis Belle B-17 bomber that flew combat missions over Europe during World War II, died late Saturday of complications from a fall, his wife said. He was 85.

It's a crying ass shame that the majority of our vets are passing at such a fast rate. I was lucky to have met Col. Morgan, and he was a very sweet man. We only got to talk for a couple minutes, and it wasn't about WW2 or air combat, but more like, "How have you been?", "Where are you from?". It made me feel good as a person. I didn't feel like I was speaking to an untouchable human that only exists in the history books. In the last 10 or so years, the vets that I've had the honor to speak to about their experience or just BS'ing have all been the exact same way. Beautiful people who have been thru alot, only to give up a new life for their children after the war. I think I'd be a little more selfish <_< . If anyone has an opportunity to talk with a veteran, please do so. Even if it just BS. They are some of the best people around to talk to. As for Col. Morgan, I'm sorry to his family for their loss and will remember them in my prayers. If anyone wants to read the story here's the link: http://go.fark.com/cgi/fark/go.pl?IDLink=9...ation-headlines

Edited by zagnut

I grew up reading about these guys. Manys an hour spent at the library or home or school reading about Ploesti, or Swienfurt, or Midway, Coral Sea, Guadalcanal, or the Marianas turkey shoot. Being a vet, I naturally appreciate all of us, but that generation of vets are and always will be my heros. I wish there was a way to write his family and give our condolences as a group here at Biohaz.

Right on Pilot, I feel the exact same way that you do. When kids were reading about Larry Bird and Mike Tyson, I was reading about Chuck Yeager and Francis Gabreski.