Sign in to follow this  
Jammer28

Two short videos

Good to see some more Jammer28 - excellent - the piano tune goes well. Must be oldish has the orange boom on crash still. We killed it thank goodness.

I like the second one, Jammer, which is like a trailer to the sim.

It brings out again the great quality of Matt Milne's score - it fits so perfectly well,

that after hearing it again and again over one year now, I have yet never got tired of it.

Edited by Olham

Just an observation Jammer, but your format is distorted. It looks like you are recording in widescreen format, but saving it as 4:3 tv ratio. The full image looks compressed or squeezed in. I'm not being critical. The reason I know this is because I used to do it too, - until somebody told me what I was doing wrong.

If you want some advice, I'd recommend Virtualdub. It's a free download, and quite a powerful video editing program. Check it out. You'll see in the menu bar you can load filters. Do this, and check out 'null transform'. You can use this to crop off the edges to fit a narrower resolution without distorting the image. The hard bit is getting it right because there isn't an automatic utility to get the proportions correct, so it can take some practice.

The good news is once you've got the hang of it, you have a massive amount of freedom to compose what you see on screen. If the action is a little off centre, too high or low, you can fix it. CFS3 has a habit of nailing your airctaft to the middle of the screen, and it's nice to play about with it I find.

Be warned, virtualdub isn't the most user friendly prog you'll come across, but persevere, it's not too bad once you get used to it, and has a lot of neat stuff....

Nice videos Jammer!

I'd never thought to use the Beethoven's Mondschein sonata in this way. Good.

Good to see some more Jammer28 - excellent - the piano tune goes well. Must be oldish has the orange boom on crash still.  We killed it thank goodness.

Yea, these were older video files leftover from other projects. At first I missed the “orange boom” but then realized the Hollywood-isheffect was out of place. Thanks for killing it.

Just an observation Jammer, but your format is distorted. It looks like you are recording in widescreen format, but saving it as 4:3 tv ratio. The full image looks compressed or squeezed in. I'm not being critical. The reason I know this is because I used to do it too, - until somebody told me what I was doing wrong.

If you want some advice, I'd recommend Virtualdub. It's a free download, and quite a powerful video editing program. Check it out. You'll see in the menu bar you can load filters. Do this, and check out 'null transform'. You can use this to crop off the edges to fit a narrower resolution without distorting the image. The hard bit is getting it right because there isn't an automatic utility to get the proportions correct, so it can take some practice.

The good news is once you've got the hang of it, you have a massive amount of freedom to compose what you see on screen. If the action is a little off centre, too high or low, you can fix it. CFS3 has a habit of nailing your airctaft to the middle of the screen, and it's nice to play about with it I find.

Be warned, virtualdub isn't the most user friendly prog you'll come across, but persevere, it's not too bad once you get used to it, and has a lot of neat stuff....

I checked and you are correct, I encoded at 4:3 tv ratio. I use ProShow and my only other option is 16:9 widescreen which, for some reason,makes is squished and really distorted. I recently replaced my 21” CRT monitor with a 23” LCD. These older clips were recorded using the CRT, but encoded on the LCD. Don’t know if it makes a difference. The Frank Luke video I did was recorded,edited and encoded using the LCD. It was saved in the same 4:3 ratio. If you don’t mind, Flyby PC, take a look at that one and tell me if it looks distorted also. Here is the link again:

http://simtube.com/v...-HellFrank-Luke

I will take a look at Virtualdub. Thank you for suggesting it.

Jammer, if you have not linked them ar Sim HQ may I go ahead and do that?

Rickitycrate, you are more than welcome to link any of my videos to Sim HQ any time you want.

Yep, that looks great Jammer. You've a good eye for a good image.

I only mentioned it because once upon a time I had acres of footage recorded in widescreen, but couldn't crop the sides to make it fit the 4:3 ratio which Youtube wanted at the time. I had loads of really good captures, but dumped the lot because I thought I couldn't use it.

Then I found Virtualdub....

Here's a couple of screenies - The right hand image is your output, and you can fix it's proportions to whatever you like. The other image is the null transform cropping option.

Like I say, Virtualdub takes some getting used to, but I bet you'll love it.

post-45899-126686439765.jpg

post-45899-12668644639061.jpg