Sign in to follow this  
Dave

ROF So Far

I got ZERO flying time with it this weekend. The wife made plans for me for most of the weekend. I also had an F-101 Voodoo massive update to get done for a friend and that took up the free time I had.

Patch is out.

Change list 1.010 - 1.011:

NEW/IMPROVED FEATURES:

1. MAIN: Offline General Game Mode added.

2. MAIN: Quick Mission Game Sub-Mode added.

3. MAIN: Fokker D.VIIF fighter added.

4. MAIN: "Hat In The Ring" Campaign added.

5. MAIN: Dynamic Windsocks added to Fly Now missions, Quick Missions and Fast Co-op missions.

6. MAIN: Over-G graphics and sound effects added.

7. MAIN: New Wounding graphics and sound effects added.

8. MAIN: 3rd party skin approving system for MODS OFF game mode added.

9. GRAPHICS: Gamma-correction control added to Settings.exe.

10. GRAPHICS: New optional Bloom post-effect added.

11. GRAPHICS: Optional HDR post-effect added.

12. GRAPHICS: New Rain Drops post-effect added.

13. GRAPHICS: Planes and Vehicles visibility range increased for views with narrow FOV.

14. MULTIPLAYER: System chat messages added (Player connected, Player exited, Player banned, Player kicked, Player pilot killed, Player A shot down Player B).

15. VIEW: "Allow spectators" option completed. Now if it's off, then any user is only able to look from his cockpit or friendly camera operator.

16. PLANE: Mixture and Radiator controlling keys are smoothed.

17. PLANE AI: Planes AI settings are now specified not in code but in config files, so now tuning them is easier for modders.

18. GUI: New design of the Main Menu added.

19. GUI: Mission Options dialog redesigned.

20. GUI: Mission Options presets added.

21. GUI: Logoff function on Main Screen.

22. GUI: Flight Recording settings moved to Options screen.

23. GUI: New design of Hangar Plane Settings window added.

24. GUI: Career screen redesigned.

25. GUI: In-game flight map and chat position, size, opacity now storing.

26. GUI: MG convergence setting storing added.

27. GUI: Chat is accessible from all Pre-Mission screens in Cooperative game mode.

28. GUI: Ships and Trains map icons added.

FIXES/BALANCING:

1. MAIN: Sound-stutters/delays and Sound-related stuttering under Windows 7 was significantly reduced.

2. GRAPHICS: Night reflections on chrome surfaces fixed.

3. GRAPHICS: Moon phase inversion fixed.

4. INPUT: Curves storing bug fixed.

5. INPUT: Mouse sensitivity and mouse Y invert options fixed.

6. VIEW: Camera controls (zoom) stuck fixed.

7. VIEW: Camera should no more "look to nowhere" when deactivated planes are presented in mission.

8. VIEW: Camera operators were fixed - now it can be dynamically deactivated and activated from mission. Selection of camera operator by F12 and LCtrl-F12 now corresponds to coalition(ie. Allies or Central Powers) of the Camera operator. This should greatly help mission modders.

9. PLANE: In case of "start in air", key-controlled Mixture and Radiator no longer drops down on first touch.

10. PLANE: MG Belts movement now visible when firing (not only when reloading).

11. PLANE AI: Fokker Dr.I often ground-crashing in low-level air combat fixed.

12. PLANE AI: Sopwith Camels often ground-crashing when attacking landed plane fixed.

13. PLANE AI: Sopwith Camels oscillation when attacking landed plane fixed.

14. VEHICLES: Ground units should no longer fire in place where deactivated object was located.

15. VEHICLES: Game crashing when ship receives a waypoint which is located beyond the complex and long river system fixed. Such a complex situation is still not supported by ship's pathfinder, but CTD is fixed.

16. CAREER: Career should now be correctly finishing if squadron plane time of service is over in 1917.

17. STATISTICS: Aerostats should be correctly counted in the post-mission statistics now.

18. STATISTICS: Client's wounding, which was caused by collision, now is shown in post-mission statistics.

19. STATISTICS: Autopilot now not blocking profile statistics.

20. STATISTICS: Plane kill event now happens in the start of plane engine fire. So kill-stealing in this case is now restricted.

21. DSERVER: System logs added.

22. DSERVER: Added missions rotation limit parameter (ShutdownLoads=...), it is temporary solution against DServer crashing after 16..19 like on COCOS server.

Still getting the odd annoying rof.exe error and the loading times are a bit of a pain but otherwise RoF is starting to show its promise big time now in my not so humble opinion.

Mind you, as good as it is getting to be, it wont stop me playing OFF.

Mind you, as good as it is getting to be, it wont stop me playing OFF.

I'm with you.:good:

bad news for me. I just updated my RoF this morning and now can no longer start the game! it crashes to desktop within about 5 seconds, right around the point you should see the neoqb logo. damn......nobody on the RoF forums seems to know why. very disappointed.

If your have a dualcore setup like I have, you will notice that every update is causing more and more CPU-load. This game is due the last update now only playable for quadcore users, dualcore users can now only play limited and at low settings, so there is no argument to leave your old game and get RoF at the store, because of the low graphic settings this RoF game looks like your old WW1 combatsim, that your playing now. So dualcore users, why leaving your good old, bugfree and stable WW1 fly sim? 

Did some communication to Neoqb, asking why not using check-boxes to disable some CPU load processes like fluid dynamics or complex FM/DM, but no interest to this point. Wait until Olegs BoB will be published, then they will be forced to act here.  

But if you are a WW1 flysimmer, have a big quadcore like the i7-920, a decent Vcard then get this game.     

Well, if somebody gifts me about a grand to go out and buy a similar rig, then I'll possibly consider ROF.

Until then, OFF functions rather well on my mediocre dual core system, and has a full dynamic campaign, so that'll do me nicely.

The one thing that makes this update worth it, is the quick mission builder. Not only does it have a super slinky GUI - it is so incredibly easy to set up (a first from neoqb) and no need for any of their lacking or poorly translated documentation. Also in QMB the load times are much shorter than in campaign, mission or flynow. If you just fancy a quick ww1 themed skirmish then this mode is for you. Personally until they sort out a good campaign mode, this is the only mode I can see myself playing any time soon.

Also they have removed the online all the time DRM. For campaigns you will still need to connect to the master server for them to update your stats. From my offline only play it is nice to know that my every flight is no longer being monitored by neoqb.

Graphics wise, the new HDR options got turned off pretty damn quickly by myself, though the new rain effect is pretty impressive. Colours seem deeper now, and not as vibrant as before, but I like it - more of a gritty feel.

That's all I have tested so far. However Nvidia users beware - a lot of players with nvidia cards have reported that the shimmering is back with a vengence.

Although I really love WWI aviation, I was hesitant to buy Rise of Flight for reasons most people are probably aware of. However, I decided to buy it a couple of weeks ago and I have been really enjoying it. If it weren't for the latest patch, I probably wouldn't have bought the game, but I'm glad that the developers are looking to update the game for free.

ROF single player seems to suffer from the "same old" mission syndrome. Fly around for 30 minutes till you get to the front, then see the enemy planes right where they should be, never a surprise anywhere along the route, never an attack on your drome. The multiplayer is just as boring since the dromes are so far apart.

I dont find the AI very skilled, certainly nowhere near the AI implemented in IL2, gee, in fact everything in IL2 is done better.

If your have a dualcore setup like I have, you will notice that every update is causing more and more CPU-load. This game is due the last update now only playable for quadcore users, dualcore users can now only play limited and at low settings, so there is no argument to leave your old game and get RoF at the store, because of the low graphic settings this RoF game looks like your old WW1 combatsim, that your playing now. So dualcore users, why leaving your good old, bugfree and stable WW1 fly sim?

Did some communication to Neoqb, asking why not using check-boxes to disable some CPU load processes like fluid dynamics or complex FM/DM, but no interest to this point. Wait until Olegs BoB will be published, then they will be forced to act here.

But if you are a WW1 flysimmer, have a big quadcore like the i7-920, a decent Vcard then get this game.

I have a dual core XP machine. Graphics maxed out. Runs smooth in both SP and MP.

My understanding is that the dual core issue is primarily due to changes in the threading code in Win7 obviously with a programming slant toward 4-core rather than 2-core. Neoqb contacted M$ without luck. So, if M$ don't come to the party, the party moves to 4-core, but only with Win7.

There is a lot of mis-information and generalisations being bandied about.

I still like OFF but lol.

I have a dual core XP machine. Graphics maxed out. Runs smooth in both SP and MP.

So, if M$ don't come to the party, the party moves to 4-core, but only with Win7.

If RoF is a party, it's a Kiddies one, with few guests....crap food, and warm beer!

....crap food, and warm beer!

Memories :rolleyes: Yes I lived in England in 1980/81. I thought Nine Below Zero were pretty good but those new romantic ponces were hard to take. I had a wonderful time regardless :drinks: