Sign in to follow this  
Redvilst

A sim? That thing I have in my mobile?

Wotcha pilots!

At the moment I have both feet planted firmly in the mud while I look up at you guys in the sky thinking "That looks neat. I wonder if I could do that?"

The last time I sat in front of a PC with a joystick attached it was to shoot at Darth Vader from an X-wing in the early 90's. I have never been tempted back to anything remotely resembling a combat flight sim, or a non-combat sim for that matter, until I read about OFF.

My interest is First World War aviation (and WW1 in general - one book published by Pen & Sword "Die Hard, Aby!"), and I am researching the requirments to set up my PC specifically for OFF.

Is there anybody out there who can recommend a joystick that most resembles the feel and functionality of a WW1 stringbag please? Also, do people use rudder controls or rely on keyboard functions for that? I have read about the Track IR system, which looks good, but I am very ignorant about what's out there in terms of flight sim hardware. A lot of the information I've found so far assumes a good deal of experience and so even the acronyms fly over my head.

I am sure these are questions that have been answered before, so I would appreciate any links to the answers.

Thanks guys.

David.

Hello sir and welcome to CombatAce. You can get your OFF fix here for sure. I recommend CH sticks with the rudder pedals for your simming equipment. You can click on the CH banner in my signature.

Hello sir and welcome to CombatAce. You can get your OFF fix here for sure. I recommend CH sticks with the rudder pedals for your simming equipment. You can click on the CH banner in my signature.

Thank you. Just the heads-up I needed. I've been to the site (via your signature link) and found UK outlets. Might be a while before I can smuggle the required hardware past ground control (Mrs Redvilst) but at least I know where to start. drinks.gif

Greetings...

Well I play it with a Saitek Cyborg and it works fine for me... But my plan is to go down the exact road your on... Once I have my new Bike and New PC...

Just my two bits, but I usually find that a cheap, rummage-sale or consignment-store joystick is good value until you can get your hands on something serious. You don't get the features and details of a top-'o-the-line stick, but it still leads to hours of flight sim fun. I've gone through four or five $2 garage-sale joysticks since I bough Strike Fighters, and they always did the job.