Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Wings of Prey half price on Steam

I was very much looking forward to Silent Hunter 5. Then I learned of Ubiscum's new DRM (have to be online and connected to their server 100% of the time even to play offline) and I no longer intend to purchase it.

Am I cutting off my own nose? No, not a bit of it. Companies that pull this kind of crap WILL learn, the hard way, that their criminal and fraudulent behaviour will not be tolerated.

This is what I've been getting after a few minutes in every online session I've tried so far:

crash.jpg

I have zero problems in any other online games I play.

Yep...Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see YU-Play shut down, and all it's employees hanged in Public!...they are real wankers

Yep...Nothing would give me greater pleasure than to see YU-Play shut down, and all it's employees hanged in Public!...they are real wankers

Hear hear.

Steady on guys, some balance is due. Siggi rather than posting here, ask in the Yuplay official forum, they seem responsive in there. If you change hardware it will (like Vista etc) sometimes cause a problem. You can deactivate the game with a simple exe, run before changing anything, and then reactive afterwards and you lose NO activations. You can also ask nicely in there with the details and they have said they'll listen very sympathically and give you more if needed.

Changing a modem should not of course cause a problem, but if it's something you enabled/changed in the BIOS sometimes the BIOS actually writes to the signature on the MBR of your hard drive. Thus if they used that to detect a new PC/hardware it could fail.

We all have bad experiences with all sorts of games.It does not mean everyone has the same experience. For me it worked fine and Dogfights over Kent in sim mode are great fun -super visuals too. They are improving all the time, and listening to people. For me it was well worth it. Just my 2c.

The issue with textures could well be a new one that appeared, never heard of it previously so give them a chance to fix it?

I turned down two of the graphics settings one notch from max and managed to get about half an hour of online play before the game crashed again. Looks to me like a classic memory-leak. Still had to run the gauntlet of freezes, hang-ups and the activation-window popping up again, which wouldn't accept my password, necessitating me having to change it on their site. All of this kind of bollocks every single time I try to play online. After four or five major patches.

But yes, apart from the lag and warp from a number of players (some of their a/c literally vanishing from in front of my gun-sight) the play was very enjoyable. But with the overheasd of effort right now just to get into a game it's not worth a light.

Sure for you that's the case, I had no issues offline or online, although I prefer offline and more sim mode. Also I only activated once etc. So everyone's mileage may vary is all I am saying. They are also adding more sim like options (have added lots of customisation already) so no doubt will get better.

Sure for you that's the case, I had no issues offline or online, although I prefer offline and more sim mode. Also I only activated once etc. So everyone's mileage may vary is all I am saying. They are also adding more sim like options (have added lots of customisation already) so no doubt will get better.

From how the game performs now, after four/five major patches, it makes me feel a little queasy to try and imagine how it must have been on day one. Over 2gb of patches and it still performs like a sick dog, for me and a considerable number of others by all accounts. That, naturally, doesn't inspire me with much confidence for the game's future. They (the devs) appear to be a particularly inept bunch. I mean, who enforces a mission termination in a game? Who does that? Who has that kind of twisted mentality, devoid of any semblance of even just plain common sense, never mind intelligent design?

I'm with Pol.

The game is not so bad, Siggi. I didn't have any issues so far, and I've it almost since day 1.

I didn't try MP because I'm more SP player nowadays.

They will improve the game I'm pretty sure.

I'm with Pol.

The game is not so bad, Siggi. I didn't have any issues so far, and I've it almost since day 1.

I didn't try MP because I'm more SP player nowadays.

They will improve the game I'm pretty sure.

I agree, I tried the demo and had no problems, bought the 1/2 price sale version on Yuplay a few days ago and it seems to be working fine, though haven't played a lot yet, and I also don't play on line. I didn't like the very long download time and the weird "seeding" message that seemed to go on forever at the end of the download.. don't know what that was all about. I entered by paid access code and the game started up with no problems that I can see. I've been very impressed that it looks so good with my not very fancy system. It may not be high FM quality, but the graphics and effects are mind blowing and well worth playing, IMHO.

I still don't like the idea of a dl game with nothing tangable and the on line requirement. Rise of Flight I heard is going to drop the always on line requirement, they have had lots of complaints too. It's understandable though, when you realize all the rip offs that have been making it almost impossible for game companies to exist in todays gaming industry, where developing a game is like making a movie, getting into millions of dollars of investment.

I feel your pain Siggi. I hate this DRM stuff too. Unfortunately pirating ain't ever going away (God bless their black hearts) so I expect this kind of DRM to flourish. Hopefully there will be some sort of less intrusive compromise in the future. Who knows a form of DRM may even be applied to P4 {shudder} ?

So I reckon we're stuck with it unless we can round up all the danged pirates and herd them into a corral for behavioural reassignment.

Sorry chaps, but the forced mission-termination design decision is the hook upon which all other considerations must be based in my opinion. And there's proof in the pudding of that with all the other issues the game has.

Maybe in a years time they'll have brought the game up to par, but I didn't pay my money now to have a game I could consider playable in a years time. But no biggie, I've been stung for worse by games in the past. I already managed to screw a £30 refund out of Steam for HoI3 (though it did take the intervention of PI's CEO, Fred Wester). I'll see how I get on with this particular POS. Meantime there are other games worthy of the name to play (OFF and DH mostly). :)

Sigi: Hope you get it worked out, I understand your well deserved anger over the whole thing.

The mission termination seems to vary - in Sim mode I think it usually offers you to carry on. Has for me anyway.

Anyway as I say I am not doubting it's not right for you Siggi, but for others it's great fun so people should read all the ins and outs, try the demo and make their minds up. The devs ARE listening, and bringing out features people asked for, so good to me.

The mission termination seems to vary - in Sim mode I think it usually offers you to carry on. Has for me anyway.

Anyway as I say I am not doubting it's not right for you Siggi, but for others it's great fun so people should read all the ins and outs, try the demo and make their minds up. The devs ARE listening, and bringing out features people asked for, so good to me.

I'm with you Pol, I like WOP and the activations thing is a non-issue to me. I applaud the devs for their efforts and really enjoy just hopping in for a quick fight. Add to that the stunning visuals and smooth as silk framerates and I hope this is around a long time.

I enjoy it for the Blast...and it's fun online too

Have it, love it, runs fine maxed out.

I'm starting to wonder if there's something busted in my relatively brand-new video-card. First blue triangles on OFF out of nowhere, now crashes in WoP. Wouldn't explain the network issues though. :dntknw:

I'm starting to wonder if there's something busted in my relatively brand-new video-card. First blue triangles on OFF out of nowhere, now crashes in WoP. Wouldn't explain the network issues though. :dntknw:

Have to say Siggi.. I smell a Rat somewhere m8 :blink:

Everything checks out, at least with the limited diagnostics available to me. And other games play fine. This WoP loaded DX11 for some reason though. My card can't make use of more than DX10, but my research indicates it's not an issue, the card just ignores any DX11 stuff that might be in the game.

Maybe it's my RAM on it's way out, I've been having suspicions over it for quite a while. The system certainly didn't like having 4gb installed (back to 2gb now).

Yeah it could be pushing something a bit further than some other sims, there are some free memory checkers around maybe worth a look.

Use memtest96. It's a great memory tester.

What is your graphic card? 1GB?

And the Video temp? And what about your PSU?

EDIT: I remember you were having problems with your nvidia drivers. Why not install an old driver?

Use Drive Sweeper to clean the leftovers before installing a new one.

And what about direct x? Do you have the last version?

Edited by Von Paulus

Siggi:

How big is your power supply and what is the new card you got?

Reason I'm asking, I have a Antec TruePower Trio 650w three rail PS and was using it with a Nvidia 8800GTS card with no problems. I recently bought a over clocked, highly rated Gigabyte GTX 260 896MB card and when playing heavy GPU requirement games I suddenly was having severe distortions after several muintes and then fatal blue screen crashes. I ended up contacting tech at Antec and they told me that for the 260GTX series cards like this one need a minimum 500w card with 36 amps. They suggested a quad rail card with 25 amps on the 12v3 and 12v4 rails, or a single rail PSU with 40 amps. You can't just go by PSU voltage ratings.

I ended up sending the card back to NewEgg for a full refund, not feeling ready to shell out money for a new PSU as well as the card.. will up grade down the line later.

Just a thought..

Everything checks out, at least with the limited diagnostics available to me. And other games play fine. This WoP loaded DX11 for some reason though. My card can't make use of more than DX10, but my research indicates it's not an issue, the card just ignores any DX11 stuff that might be in the game.

Maybe it's my RAM on it's way out, I've been having suspicions over it for quite a while. The system certainly didn't like having 4gb installed (back to 2gb now).

I've only tried the demo and on the second run, I had a "memory dump"! The last time I had a sysmem dump and reboot was when I was running W98SE_B5!!!!!

I tried backing down my memory timings from 4-3-4-9-2T to 444_12 and everything finally cleared up on 555_15(8gb PC-6400).

I bought RoF because it's WW1 (1/2 price though) and I enjoy their planes much more so then the ones I fly in FS2004 and FSX. I won't be buying WoP, even if the DRM is dropped.

plug_nickel (Al)

Edited by almccoyjr