Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OMG..I don't believe I just watched this!

probably the most amazing piece of aerial footage I have ever seen!....incredible!

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

Though reading the comments...it *May* be fake?...what do you guys think?

• Dislike 1

That came out a good few months ago and is totally fake. If you look at stills where you can see the broken wing-root you can see it's badly mis-placed. Not to mention the actual movements of the plane as it both falls and lands.

The landing definitely looks fake, plus the parts where the camera goes blury etc and just the general feel of it tbh.

Yeah..on further inspection, one would think it would corkscrew totally out of control at the loss of a wing....very clever though

Amazing piece of flying, or amazing fake. Either way it's ... erm ... amazing.yikes.gif

Interesting investigation, just shows you with some good observation skills what you can see

It's a good photoshop fake... One of the guys here at the office ripped it apart dont ask me the technical stuff as this guy makes an Ubergeek look normal...

The only knowledge I have of a plane losing its wing and successfully recovering to base was an Israeli F-15, I know of a few where they have lost parts of the wings and made it back...

The aerodynamic issues there are out as well as the plane doesn't have a lifting type body and has lost the wing at the root and it also spins out the wrong way...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Here's another one with questionable reality but very convincing if it is fake (i.e. CGI as opposed to a reinactment):

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Interesting investigation, just shows you with some good observation skills what you can see

As I said, the wing-root is in the wrong position (too far forward). Which makes it a bad fake, not a good one.

Here's another one with questionable reality but very convincing if it is fake (i.e. CGI as opposed to a reinactment)

I doubt it but are you questioning whether the film is real war footage? No, AFAICT it was taken with a modern camera on a gyroscopic mount.

Is it CGI or real footage/reinactment? Looks like real aircraft, and quite well executed, except for the fact that the 1st Spitfire isn't really trying to get away... unless he was a total goober for a pilot, i.e. Natural Selection.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Bandy

Definitely not fake, but just as unbelievable....if not more. Salute.gif

Sorry guys, you'll need to go to YT to see it. (Embedding declined). -It's worth it though.

Edited by Flyby PC

I doubt it but are you questioning whether the film is real war footage? No, AFAICT it was taken with a modern camera on a gyroscopic mount.

Is it CGI or real footage/reinactment? Looks like real aircraft, and quite well executed, except for the fact that the 1st Spitfire isn't really trying to get away... unless he was a total goober for a pilot, i.e. Natural Selection.

Just my opinion.

I was questioning if it was a normal reinactment with real planes, or if it was CGI, it seemed to be quite "extreme" for a normal reinactment as they don't normaly push them that hard, unless it just looked like that because of the camera angle, tried seeing if the 109 had a Merlin engine like the Spanish ones they used in the Battle of Britain film, but it's hard to tell from behind.

I wouldn't have believed it was real war footage if only because (hopefully) no real Spitfire or combat Pilot in general would be stupid (or brave, depending on your point of view) enough to dive right infront of the guns of an enemy fighter so that he could kill the lead one, when he could have just gone for the back one, especially as it would have been 2 vs 1 at that point. Whereas it's clearly just done for dramatic effect so that they could film it.

I was questioning if it was a normal reinactment with real planes, or if it was CGI, it seemed to be quite "extreme" for a normal reinactment as they don't normaly push them that hard, unless it just looked like that because of the camera angle, tried seeing if the 109 had a Merlin engine like the Spanish ones they used in the Battle of Britain film, but it's hard to tell from behind.

I wouldn't have believed it was real war footage if only because (hopefully) no real Spitfire or combat Pilot in general would be stupid (or brave, depending on your point of view) enough to dive right infront of the guns of an enemy fighter so that he could kill the lead one, when he could have just gone for the back one, especially as it would have been 2 vs 1 at that point. Whereas it's clearly just done for dramatic effect so that they could film it.

I can see quite clearly the 109 in view is a Buchon. :)

The stuff left behind after a bird strike is called 'snerg' (not to be confused with the Urban Dictionary definition). A woman at the museum where I work ID's bird strikes for the FAA, her name? Have to check out the link ...

Still haven't found the video I was looking for, but this is pretty sobering....

Thats like asking if all of Pamela Anderson is real.

What about this one: "Military Bi-Athlon - Jump jetting plus Parachute watersport".

Or this one: Don't retract your gear, while you're still running!

Edited by Olham