Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

William Wellman's Nieuport 24

Good Evening All,

Yesterday I finished re-reading "Go, Get 'Em!", William A. Wellman's memoirs of his time with Escadrille 87. Afterwards I went looking for his kite in the OFF N24 files and discovered it was not there. So, I have taken care of that and it is now available for download over in our Aircraft Skins section. If you have never read Wild Bill's book you really should. He was quite the character, and went on to become one of Hollywood's leading directors during the 1930's, 40's, and 50's.

index.php?app=downloads&module=display&section=screenshot&full=1&id=10627

And here is the link to his book, available for reading online: "Go, Get 'Em!"

Enjoy!

Lou

Did you check the squad stock skins - I recognise that skin and am sure I skinned it ?

You always come up with some intersting, and for me new, stuff.

Unfortunately, when I click the link, I can only see a description of the book.

When I try to get to the read, Google explains me something about the author's

publishing rights and conditions - it seems not to be free here.

I also noticed that with YouTube music videos. In most other countries, videos

showing David Bowie for example, can be watched and listened to.

Not in Germany. Here the copyright control seems to be the harshest on the globe.

I often feel like a "cow to be milked" (as we say here, when everyone wants to get

your money out of you).

Did you check the squad stock skins - I recognise that skin and am sure I skinned it ?

It wouldn't be the first time I've done that too :blink:

sandbagger, I went through all the N24 and N24 bis skins and did not find it. I used the N24 Esc 87 as my starting point and borrowed the black cat from the 'bis' version and tweaked that to look like the example shown in Bob Pearson's comprehensive work, "Aircraft Colours and Markings of the First World War Era". Many thanks for your outstanding work sandbagger, all I did was change the numbers and cat and add Wellman's personal ID, (his mother's name BTW, and the Roman numeral 5 denotes this was his fifth aircraft thus christened). Oh, I also tweaked the decking behind the cockpit ever so slightly so the ribs were centered front-to-back.

Olham and Redkite, I recall you folks in Europe had this problem a while back which is what prompted me to build that first WWI book download. Wellman's books is one of the volumes in that collection, and here is the link again for that zip file:

WWI Books Zip Download

This download contains the following titles:

Biogrophies, Diaries, Personal Writings

“A Flying Fighter”, by E.M. Roberts, c.1918

”A Happy Warrior”, the letters of William M. Russel, c.1918

”Above the Battle”, by Vivian Drake, c.1918

“Air Men O'War”, by Boyd Cable, c.1918

”An Aviator’s Field Book”, the field notes of Oswald Bolcke, English Edition c.1917

”Cavalry of the Clouds”, by Alan Bott, c.1918

”En l'air!”, by Bert Hall, c.1918

”Fighting the Flying Circus”, by Eddie Rickenbacker, c.1919

”Flying For France”, by James R. McConnell, c.1917

”Go Get 'Em!”, by William Wellman, c.1918

”Green Balls: The Adventures Of a Night-Bomber”, by Paul Bewsher, c.1919

”High Adventure”, by James Norman Hall, c.1918

”Night Bombing With the Bedouins”, by Robert H. Reece, c.1919

”The Flying Poilu”, by Marcel Nadaud, c.1918

“The Red Battle Flyer”, by Manfred von Richthofen, English Edition c.1918

”The Way of the Eagle”, by Charles J. Biddle, c.1919

”Winged Warfare”, by William A. Bishop, c.1918

References:

“Aircraft Mechanics Handbook”, c.1918

”Heroes Of Aviation”, by Laurence La Tourette Driggs, c.1918

”How To Fly”, by A. Frederick Collins, c.1918

“Learning To Fly in the U.S. Army”, by E.N. Fales, c.1917

“Practical Flying”, by W.G. McMinnies, c.1918

“The Aero Manual”, c.1909

“The German Air Force in the Great War”, by Georg Paul Neumann, c.1920

”The Romance Of Aircraft”, by Laurence Smith, c.1919

I will caution you folks that Wellman was very hateful of the Germans and is quick to express that hatred in the course of his book. Not that it's unusual at all to find such sentiments expressed in writings of the period from all sides, but it can catch one a bit off guard, especially when one is accustom to the incredibly tolerant and understanding air that prevails in this forum.

Cheers!

Lou

sandbagger, I went through all the N24 and N24 bis skins and did not find it. I used the N24 Esc 87 as my starting point and borrowed the black cat from the 'bis' version and tweaked that to look like the example shown in Bob Pearson's comprehensive work, "Aircraft Colours and Markings of the First World War Era". Many thanks for your outstanding work sandbagger, all I did was change the numbers and cat and add Wellman's personal ID, (his mother's name BTW, and the Roman numeral 5 denotes this was his fifth aircraft thus christened). Oh, I also tweaked the decking behind the cockpit ever so slightly so the ribs were centered front-to-back.

Olham and Redkite, I recall you folks in Europe had this problem a while back which is what prompted me to build that first WWI book download. Wellman's books is one of the volumes in that collection, and here is the link again for that zip file:

WWI Books Zip Download

This download contains the following titles:

Biogrophies, Diaries, Personal Writings

“A Flying Fighter”, by E.M. Roberts, c.1918

”A Happy Warrior”, the letters of William M. Russel, c.1918

”Above the Battle”, by Vivian Drake, c.1918

“Air Men O'War”, by Boyd Cable, c.1918

”An Aviator’s Field Book”, the field notes of Oswald Bolcke, English Edition c.1917

”Cavalry of the Clouds”, by Alan Bott, c.1918

”En l'air!”, by Bert Hall, c.1918

”Fighting the Flying Circus”, by Eddie Rickenbacker, c.1919

”Flying For France”, by James R. McConnell, c.1917

”Go Get 'Em!”, by William Wellman, c.1918

”Green Balls: The Adventures Of a Night-Bomber”, by Paul Bewsher, c.1919

”High Adventure”, by James Norman Hall, c.1918

”Night Bombing With the Bedouins”, by Robert H. Reece, c.1919

”The Flying Poilu”, by Marcel Nadaud, c.1918

“The Red Battle Flyer”, by Manfred von Richthofen, English Edition c.1918

”The Way of the Eagle”, by Charles J. Biddle, c.1919

”Winged Warfare”, by William A. Bishop, c.1918

References:

“Aircraft Mechanics Handbook”, c.1918

”Heroes Of Aviation”, by Laurence La Tourette Driggs, c.1918

”How To Fly”, by A. Frederick Collins, c.1918

“Learning To Fly in the U.S. Army”, by E.N. Fales, c.1917

“Practical Flying”, by W.G. McMinnies, c.1918

“The Aero Manual”, c.1909

“The German Air Force in the Great War”, by Georg Paul Neumann, c.1920

”The Romance Of Aircraft”, by Laurence Smith, c.1919

I will caution you folks that Wellman was very hateful of the Germans and is quick to express that hatred in the course of his book. Not that it's unusual at all to find such sentiments expressed in writings of the period from all sides, but it can catch one a bit off guard, especially when one is accustom to the incredibly tolerant and understanding air that prevails in this forum.

Cheers!

Lou

Hi Lou,

Ahh I see - NP - I thought I'd skinned that particular aircraft when I did all of the N.24s, so thought we'd doubled up on that particular version. Anyway, I've contacted 'Shred' to see what other ace skins we might be able to start for a future release maybe.

We did have that skin I saw it many (i.e. many) times in beta testing, also saw it many times in Beta testing (twitch), and also er <bang>.

I think WM did it as a base maybe?

So where did it go?

It looks identical to the one we had anyway.

Lou, thank you very much for the link again!

Some pilots of the time were pretty much victims of nasty propaganda - on all sides I think.

And some may have made bitter experiences, that turned them to feel that way.

That's alright for me - people in those days could not get so much objective information

as we can get today (and even we get still fooled from time to time).

You are more than welcome Olham, and you are oh so right Sir about the propaganda on all sides.

Pol wrote:

I think WM did it as a base maybe?

So where did it go?

It looks identical to the one we had anyway.

Umm, ok. I'm feeling a bit like I've stepped on official toes here by inadvertently recreating an historic skin that was already done before. I did check and found no example of it in the OFF folder, and I made sure to credit all you folks for the original skins that I tweaked and used bits from to build this one, (which I always make a point of doing).

No worries Lou.

It's all good.

I know that Bagger originally had it in as the default, but it doesn't seem to be there now - must have got switched at some point.

One of my projects down the road will be to try and fill out the French rosters a little more, and adding Wellman would be part of that.

Ennyhoots, now his aeroplane is available, even if he's not (yet).

Cheers,

shredward

Ho Lou,

Problem solved. I did create this one - in fact it was the first N.24 produced. However, it was switched to the stock ESC 87 skin for release as we concentrated on covering all of the squad stock skins as a priority. The ace skins were put on hold until after the release.

As 'Shred' said, no problem, it was just we knew we'd seen it before, albeit during the early stages for the N.24.

post-15340-12674669370667.jpg

post-15340-1267466944.jpg