Sign in to follow this  
PadFoot

What do I need to run OFF

Is it a must to have CFS3 in order to run OFF?

If yes, I have a few more questions.

1) What sort of graphics CFS3 offers? Is it better than CFS2?

2) Does OFF completely modifies the graphics engine of CFS3 to OFF's own standards?

3) My rig is merely a Q6600@ stock speed and a 4870 only, does it support running OFF max'd out all settings?

4) Any screenies of OFF?

Thanks!!

1) let's just say they are different, most find the 'Game' a total dawg

2) Most, if not all traces to Microsoft have all but vanished

3) OFF prefers speed to power, I also have a Q6600 and at 2.4 Ghtz, OFF is enjoyable, even if not maxed out

http://www.overfland....com/sysreq.htm the requirements

4) At last count there were 1432 . . . Take your Pick

http://forum.combata...4-screen-shots/

Hmm...looks like OFF might be CPU bounded. My Q6600 might limit its performance. But thanks for the info. I think my rig can't run Rise of Flight, suppose OFF is not a bad option.

PadFoot, the graphics in OFF are still very good with sliders at 3 instead of 5 - honestly!

And the landscape looks even nicer than in that other sim.

If you want to get an idea, go to our "Screenshots" sticky thread.

As for CFS3 - you should get the DVD version. Best is to check here for the version:

www.overflandersfields.com

You will also find lots of tips for the graphic settings there.

And as for the campaign immersion, you will surely never regret having bought OFF.

Promised!

There are also many pictures on our website

OFF is MUCH better than CFS3, but please read the forums, and look and watch some movies maybe.

Scenery for example is massively improved (and has been several times since) and you will see it's possibly some of the finest scenery available. Bear in mind that the scenery goes on across the whole of Europe so you can fly from England to Switzerland in one go if you like (huge map area). Many sims slice it so you "hit the edges" when you fly in a certain area.

http://www.overflandersfields.com

click on "Media" button at the top once you are in.

But if you like WW2 stuff as well as WW1, there are some freeware add-ons for poor old CFS3 which do improve it somewhat - MAW and ETO. But I expect I'm talking out of turn here, this being an OFF forum.

But if you like WW2 stuff as well as WW1, there are some freeware add-ons for poor old CFS3 which do improve it somewhat - MAW and ETO. But I expect I'm talking out of turn here, this being an OFF forum.

Just finished updating ETO to v1.30; it is very good!

plug_nickel (Al)

hairyspin and almccoyjr, I think it's perfectly okay to show here, that CFS3 is not at all as bad

as it was in the beginning. And that simmers, who are also into WW2 sims, can use the mods for

it on that field too. That makes CFS3, which is anyway very cheap, even more attractive to get.

Once you have flown "Over Flanders Fields", you won't believe at all, that this is based

on the CFS3 engine. Because it simply looks totally different; and so far better.

There are also many pictures on our website

OFF is MUCH better than CFS3, but please read the forums, and look and watch some movies maybe.

Scenery for example is massively improved (and has been several times since) and you will see it's possibly some of the finest scenery available. Bear in mind that the scenery goes on across the whole of Europe so you can fly from England to Switzerland in one go if you like (huge map area). Many sims slice it so you "hit the edges" when you fly in a certain area.

click on "Media" button at the top once you are in.

Wow, that sounds great! I love European landscape actually and you are telling me that I can fly all the way from England to Switzerland. That's really wonderful! But given the aircraft speed being so slow, how long is the trip?

From the white cliffs of Dover to the Alpes it should be about 800 Kilometer.

An S.E.5 a can fly more than 200 km/h, with this craft, you could be there in 4 hours -

if there are no headwinds.

Wind with all it's real effects on your flying, by the way, is also now included in BHaH.

But you can switch it off in "Workshop", were you can set up the sim a lot to your likes

and flying/fighting abilities.

Edited by Olham

From the white cliffs of Dover to the Alpes it should be about 800 Kilometer.

An S.E.5 a can fly more than 200 km/h, with this craft, you could be there in 4 hours -

if there are no headwinds.

Wind with all it's real effects on your flying, by the way, is also now included in BHaH.

But you can switch it off in "Workshop", were you can set up the sim a lot to your likes

and flying/fighting abilities.

Too bad that I've just ordered 2 games, I should have included CFS3 in the same shipment as currently my relocation is outside the US. I'll have to wait until next time, some books are needed for my studies, will include that with CFS3 in the next deal.

By the way is OFF free for download? Also, say after I've got CFS3, do I need to patch it up before installing OFF?

Last but not least, where I might find manuals as to how to fly WWI aircrafts? Guess stalling is the most common and the most difficult to deal with...

OFF BHaH is no download; check their website for the buying process,

and the other questions.

CFS3 should be the DVD version; then it's up to date.

You may not find it the easiest way to get to get to fly "Over Flanders Fields";

but the best things in life are rarely ever easy to get - yet so much more rewarding.

Edit/PS: once you have OFF installed, you can later get the add-on "Hat in the Ring" -

that is a download.

Edited by Olham

You may not find it the easiest way to get to get to fly "Over Flanders Fields";

but the best things in life are rarely ever easy to get - yet so much more rewarding.

Fortunately the installation process is very smooth and not difficult at all. Just install CFS3, update it, and then install OFF and possibly its expansion pack. It's really simple compared to what you have to go through with many other sim modifications.

Well, not only, Creaghorn - he might be lucky to spot a copy on Ebay.

But I doubt that.

The sim is actually so good, that no one will sell it again.

Edited by Olham

Padfoot,

And BTW, OFF is the ONLY flight sim with this kind of GREAT forum support. You will never be at a loss for opinions and answers. They may not be what you want to hear, but do expect for "free".help.gif

CFS3 should be the DVD version; then it's up to date.

Padfoot,

Just for clarification, CFS3 also comes in two CD versions, v3.0 and a patched v3.1. BHaH requires v3.1, so if you buy an older version, you will need to install CFS3 and patch it to 3.1 before installing BHaH. If installing with the CD versions, you will also have to have the CFS3 disk in your CD/DVD drive every time you to run BHaH.

As Olham indicted, the DVD version is v3.1, and it offers the added benefit of not having to have the DVD in the drive to play. However, a DVD may be hard to find.

As Luther1517 said, you won't find better forum support than here.

Hi folks,

Okey, I've finished a little bit of research. OFF has 2 phases right, phase 1 & 2 respectively. Now where I might find them for free? I wish to get hold of them prior to purchasing CFS3.

And please do help me on this one: the following shows the box cover of CFS3. Apparently it is being sold by Valusoft and not Microsoft herself, is it good for OFF? Also I am trying to find Firepower for CFS3, but it is not available on neither eBay nor Amazon...?

51xhz59tllss400.jpg

Padfoot, go to "Home" of this Forum, then to "OFF Forum", there to "Phase1 / Phase2".

Your CFS3 can be updated to version 3.1 via downloaded patch easily.

To get Phase 1 or Phase 2 would only make sense, if you either want to fly a combat sim "easy",

or you just don't have even 30,- bucks to spend on a really great simulation.

Now, with Phase 3 (and it's add-on "Hat in the Ring") we have got the first really dangerous AI.

And there is a much improved scenery and lots of other improvements; etc. etc.

I'm not a salesman, nor do I get any money for saying all this, but believe me:

if you had tried "OFF Between Heaven and Hell", you wouldn't want to get only Phase 2 anymore.

And the add-on could still be achieved later.

AFAIK Firepower is only available as a download these days (for money...), don't remember where. Oh BTW chaps, I do have OFF, plus other sims. Horses for courses...

Padfoot,

P2 was offered as a free download as was P1. The only was to get P2 is from another forum member, but P2 is no longer supported here, so you will be on your own if the s**te hits the fan, so to speak. My old room-mate (Barnstorm) had P2 and got me hooked on this WWI flying and I am very grateful. You MUST have CFS3 installed to run BHaH--that is the "engine", if you will. Like others here have said, read the FAQs...You will not be sorry for making the modest investment in CFS3 and BHaH. This is the most realistic, immersing flight sim on the market...And the best bunch of blokes around the world to hang out with you can find.

Deadhorse.gif

Padfoot, go to "Home" of this Forum, then to "OFF Forum", there to "Phase1 / Phase2".

Your CFS3 can be updated to version 3.1 via downloaded patch easily.

To get Phase 1 or Phase 2 would only make sense, if you either want to fly a combat sim "easy",

or you just don't have even 30,- bucks to spend on a really great simulation.

Now, with Phase 3 (and it's add-on "Hat in the Ring") we have got the first really dangerous AI.

And there is a much improved scenery and lots of other improvements; etc. etc.

I'm not a salesman, nor do I get any money for saying all this, but believe me:

if you had tried "OFF Between Heaven and Hell", you wouldn't want to get only Phase 2 anymore.

And the add-on could still be achieved later.

Fair enough, I understand now.  But what is in my mind is that say I've got Rise of Flight - The First Great War, why would I want to have OFF?  Or vice-versa, say I've got OFF, why would I want to have Rise of Flight?

Actually, I want to ask amongst a number of WWI titles, how would you folks list them all in descending order of preference?

And likewise for WWII's?

PadFoot: ...what is in my mind is that say I've got Rise of Flight - The First Great War, why would I want to have OFF?

Or vice-versa, say I've got OFF, why would I want to have Rise of Flight?

Padfoot, I don't have "Rise of Flight", but I know, that part of it looks very good (aircraft, trains and tanks, water).

The landscape looks far better in OFF again, but why I am flying OFF, is not for the looks of it (although they please me),

but because of the most immersive "Campaign" mode. Although they don't use video sequences inbetween missions

(which would get boring anyway after a while), they do provide you with some historical facts inbetween mission days.

But the really best for the immersion factor is, that there are really lots of other flights underway along the front line,

and if you would decide to give your mission target a miss, and fly elsewhere, you would really meet other friendly

and enemy flights everywhere.

This is not at all common practise in other sims, and it gives me the feeling, that the whole war is really going on every

day, and that I am only a small part of it.

So, that is my answer to your question "...why would I want to have OFF?" For the feeling to be really there, within WW1.

No less.

Edited by Olham

I have both Rise of Flight and OFF.

Both have their merits, but where OFF really (and I mean REALLY) shines is the single player career mode. RoF doesn't come even close to that kind of content and immersion. If you ever played and enjoyed Red Baron 3D and its campaign mode, you'll love OFF. RoF is a far way from that kind of immersion, yet. Its strengths lay currently elsewhere. Both are good sims to have, but when it comes to single player content and immersion, OFF is simply the best WW1 sim there is. Its the closest you can get to actually living the role of a pilot in the Great War.

So to answer your question Padfoot, why you should get OFF if you have RoF. Because of the excellent dynamic campaign system. And why to get RoF if you already have OFF. Because the physics engine is great and there's a lot of potential for excellent online play, and also perhaps single player campaign play some day, if they improve it considerably from its current state. But as things are now, OFF is very much better than RoF for single player mode - more planes and all of them flyable, more nations, longer period of war modelled, excellent campaign system etc.