Sign in to follow this  
Luther1517

Win7-64 system Fixed

From prior post: System locks-up while progaming controller buttons

BACK IN THE AIR

Thanks to all here who answered my S.O.S. I tried to config my flight controllers in CFS3, with the same problem, so the issue was bigger than OFF BH&H. After many hours (read: days) of searching, thinking and removing and reinstalling "this and that", I stumbled across a MS Update for DirectX 9. It is essentially a backward compatibly "fix" for apps that do not play nice wit DirectX 10 or 11--and CFS3 falls into that brier patch. After installing the update, CFS3 and BH&H run smooth as 'snot on a doorknob', as my old DI used to say.

I have included the link to MS Updates here in case anyone else runs into similar issues and for the support team to file away for reference.

http://www.microsoft...6a-9b6652cd92a3

Thanks again, Luther1517

Thanks Luther - will add that to the FAQ.

Does this mean, that, although one may be running DirectX 11 already,

it could make sense to install an update for DirectX 9 ?

(Sorry, but I'm no computer buff)

Always glad to pass along knowledge, Pol. Not many fliers here using Win7. Just for future reference, if you guys need a test platform for Win7-64 for upcoming projects, let me know. My system has great redunance buit in, so I am not affraid to "experiment".

This update is dated February 2010, so anyone who hasn't updated DirectX recently will probably also want to get this update.

Olham--I believe they have updates for both users of 9.0c as well as 11.

NVidia users may also be interested that they have released new video drivers this week.

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Olham, I think that depends on the OS you are running. In my case, the new install of Win7 did not contain all of the 'old' DirectX9 files req'd by CFS3 and OFF. If you are running WinXP SP3 and all is well, you should be fine. This update should only be needed by folks running Wni7 and Vista. That's my impression, but I yeild to better minds on the subject....

Ah, as I speak, Her Propwashe has the floor....

Yes, I am running XP and am using DirectX 9.0c with the February update. No problems so far!

I now yield the floor...

:good:

Hmmm - I'm running VISTA (fine so far, despite common antipathy), so maybe I should.

CFS3 did not like Win7 64-bit (new install) at all. So, OFF did not run well under it either---at least with my system and vidcard. After I installed the update, everthing runs just like it did under WinXP.....(so far). I will keep everyone posted on the adventures of Flying BH&H under Win7-64. Stay tuned.

My system:

Intel Core i7 860 Quad Core, 2.8Ghz =, 8MB L3 Cache, Socket 1156

ASUS P7P55D Motherboard ATX

8 GB Mushkin DDR3 PC3-10666 (13333Mhz) System RAM

ATI Radeon HD5850 1GB Video Card

750W Corsair PS, 140mm fan, active PFC

Seagate 1TB HD x3 RAID 5

Win7-64bit OS

Olham, I just went to the MS link I posted...Vista is listed as a supported OS. If you already have the files, they will only be over-written. It's totally up to you, in my humble opion, it should not do any harm to install the update. On the other hand, like my dad would say, "She had worts". Oh, well, if your system is running fine "Don't mess with Happy". I think Gumpy said that.

I downloaded a file which is called "DXwebsetup" - is that the right one?

That's it. just follow the link I posted and hit "Download"> "install" . Make sure you close all other apps when instaling. It does not say to "Restart" after installing, but I do just make sure it registers.

Edited by Luther1517

Yes it's the right one.

Coincidence I too saw this morning the update, and said to myself that I would try it tonight.

Does this mean, that, although one may be running DirectX 11 already,

it could make sense to install an update for DirectX 9 ?

(Sorry, but I'm no computer buff)

In the directx11, you've also v10 and v9 included. So it makes all the sense.

When I first installed OFF in Win7 RC1, I did had some problems. Only after installing the Directx9 from August I stoped having problems.

Olham, I think that depends on the OS you are running. In my case, the new install of Win7 did not contain all of the 'old' DirectX9 files req'd by CFS3 and OFF. If you are running WinXP SP3 and all is well, you should be fine. This update should only be needed by folks running Wni7 and Vista.

No. Even XP users should always theorically have their direct X updated.

Like Herr said all users even Nvidia owners should have it.

Edited by Von Paulus

Same thing happenned with Vista at first and DX10. We had to get DX9.0c and install it to get the older stuff to work. And since most of my sims are getting rather dated, it was a must. Still run into some issues with real old games that although are not big on eye candy, they were just fun to play. I even popped in DOSBox to fire up some real oldie moldies that were good even though the graphics are bad.

We have Windows 7 64bit for testing, (I run that anyway as my main OS) but I already have DX9 from other games installed so have no problems - but worth adding to the FAQ if it's not there already -ta

Yes DX11 is DX9 "compatible" as it where, but you will find some games specifically require DX9 to be installed too Olham -they can happily co-exist on Windows 7 at least.