Sign in to follow this  
quack74

Bombers takeoff from airfields

First off this is for First Eagles Gold. But I'm sure it will work with FE2.

I figured a simple way to use heavy bombers that takeoff from airfields without changing the spacing for fighters.

What I did was copy a terrain folder (for this example I'll use the Flanders terrain) and renamed it "Flanders_Bombers".

Then inside of the new "Flanders_Bombers" terrain I renamed ALL the Flanders.INI files (Flanders.ini, Flanders_DATA.ini, Flanders_Nations.ini, etc, etc) to

Flanders_Bombers.ini, Flanders_Bombers_DATA.ini, Flanders_Bombers_Nations.ini, etc, etc. Then I had to change the name of two other files in the Flanders_Bombers terrain; which are Flanders.HFD and Flanders.TFD. Just change these two to Flanders_Bombers.HFD and Flanders_Bombers.TFD.

When you've changed all the names of the .ini files open the Flanders_Bombers.ini file. Inside of this file you'll have to change the .ini names again and the terrain full name. Here is an example:

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Flanders_Bombers

DataFile=Flanders_Bombers_data.INI

TargetFile=Flanders_Bombers_targets.INI

TargetTypeFile=Flanders_Bombers_types.INI

MovementFile=Flanders_Bombers_movement.INI

NationsFile=Flanders_Bombers_nations.INI

BriefingText=Flanders_Bombers_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=Flanders_Bombers_dogfight.INI

DogfightOnly=FALSE

Longitude=5.221

Latitude=49.176

CatFile=..\wwiVerdun\wwiVerdun.cat

[Map]

FilenameFormat=Flanders_Bombers_Map%d.bmp <---there are 3 Flanders_map%d.bmp's. You'll have to change their names as well in the terrain folder

Width=250000.0

Height=250000.0

NumZoomLevels=3

This does go quickly. Just takes a couple of minutes.

Last is the "WWI_AIRFIELD1" .ini for the aircraft spacing at takeoff. I made two rows of 8 bomber positions. Here is that .INI file

Install this right into your Flanders_Bombers main terrain folder and overwrite the existing one.

Now after you have created the new Flanders_Bombers terrain, changed all the .INI file name, and add the new WWI_AIRFIELD1 file, run the game.

In the terrain menu you should now see a Flanders (if you have the Flanders terrain) and a Flanders_Bombers. Select the Flanders_Bombers terrain and select the Gotha or HP400 (again, if you have them). That's all. BTW you'll need to takeoff right away or the planes behind you on the runway will roll right into you. They like to takeoff before the coast is clear.

This new terrain will function just like the others. Random aircraft and ground objects will appear in the same way.

This will work for any of the terrains you have installed, stock or add-on. You can use any aircraft you like but the spacing will be pretty big for fighters. I recommend this new terrain just for bombing missions using the Gotha G.IV or the Handley Page 400 (HP400)

Any problems or questions please feel free to contact me on this thread or PM

Enjoy, quack74

Hope it works for yougood.gif

Edited by quack74

Alright, I'm going to attempt this. Stand by to hear from my lawyer... :yikes:

For the first 8 or 9 of you who downloaded the WWI_AIRFIELD1.ini file from the above post, I made a change to where the bombers land on the airfield. I forgot to change the landing position. So redownload the WWI_AIRFIELD1.ini from the above post. I just updated it. Now the bombers will land much sooner on the airfield rather than landing near the middle. Sorry about that.

No luck here Quack see picture the planes are starting in a field and running into trees, maybe it's the FE version im using I have all the patches. Thanks any way for all you do for this sim.

post-21673-12681299695563.jpg

Just noticed I have a problem with my Flanders terrain see below screen, Bombers are at the bottom of the screen.

post-21673-12681306361469.jpg

Hey guys, that happened to me too at first. I'm not sure what causes that. But make sure you rename all the files like I said. All the "Flanders".INI files, the two .HFD and .TFD files, the 3 "Map%d.bmp". Rename everything except for the .ini's for the ground objects and tiles.

I'm running my FE upto FEG standard. Exp-Pack and Nov'08 update.

Also, dont forget to change all the lines in the new Flanders_Bombers.INI file like in my first thread. Very important your file looks just like the one above.

Edited by quack74

These are the files that need changing. The Flanders terrain is just an example. This works for all.

In the new main Flanders_Bombers terrain folder rename all these files:

1. Flanders.ini to Flanders_Bombers.ini

2. Flanders_DATA.ini to Flanders_Bombers_DATA.ini

3. Flanders_DOGFIGHTS.ini to Flanders_Bombers_DOGFIGHTS.ini

4. Flanders_MOVEMENT.ini to Flanders_Bombers_MOVEMENT.ini

5. Flanders_NATIONS.ini to Flanders_Bombers_NATIONS.ini

6. Flanders_TARGETS.ini to Flanders_Bombers_TARGETS.ini

7. Flanders_TYPES.ini to Flanders_Bombers_TYPES.ini

8. Flanders.TDF to Flanders_Bombers.TDF

9. Flanders.HDF to Flanders_Bombers.HDF

10. Flanders_Map1.bmp to Flanders_Bombers_Map1.bmp

" " " Map2.bmp

" " Map3.bmp

11. Inside of the "Flanders_Bombers".ini file (configuration settings) you'll need to change the following lines:

[Terrain]

TerrainFullName=Flanders_Bombers <

DataFile=Flanders_Bombers_data.INI <

TargetFile=Flanders_Bombers_targets.INI <

TargetTypeFile=Flanders_Bombers_types.INI <

MovementFile=Flanders_Bombers_movement.INI <

NationsFile=Flanders_Bombers_nations.INI <

BriefingText=Flanders_briefing.INI

DogfightFile=Flanders_Bombers_dogfight.INI <

DogfightOnly=FALSE

Longitude=5.221

Latitude=49.176

CatFile=..\wwiVerdun\wwiVerdun.cat

[Map]

FilenameFormat=Flanders_Bombers_Map%d.bmp <

Width=250000.0

Height=250000.0

NumZoomLevels=3

Make sure these are all done. This is exactly how mine is and it works. If you still have problems, just post them here. I see what I can do. This is a great addition to the game so it's worth a little head scratching.

Edited by quack74

Hmmm. I was going to post that this worked for me but didn't notice where the planes landed because I didn't fly that long. The planes were all on the airfield for takeoff, however.

Grabbed the new file. Will install.

Thanks for this, Quack.

You're welcome. I need to repost all the Gotha skins that I've been touching up. They look great on the airfields.

Hi Quack I have reinstall all my Terrain folder from a fresh FE 1 installed Jans terrain then went over and over your alterations for the Flanders_Bombers and still have no luck my default Flanders terrain is OK.

Well thanks for your help looks like I will stick to the fighters.

don246, make sure everything has the correct new name like I wrote above. There are no major changes other than renaming things, there is no reason why it wont work for you. It works for me and it seems to be working for Tailspin and JFM. You must be forgetting to rename a file or two. Just keep checking. It's worth it.

Slightly OT: Any way to get a bombsight or at least a view looking down at the ground without going external?

Yeah, but just think of the tremendous satisfaction you'll derive from dropping one in my yard without any visual aids...:laugh:

Don't worry, Bucky! :bomb:

But is there any way to have a view that at least looks down from the cockpit, as if through a hatch? I don't need a Norden or anything. If I could look down then I could practice when to drop from a specific altitude/airspeed. Guess I can do that by TIRing over the cockpit; I'll have to work it out. I've been skinning a Walfisch in spare time but perhaps I'll hop in a Gotha tonight instead.

Skinning a walfisch?...Does your cruelty know no bounds?

Actually, man, I'm looking forward to seeing that! Without giving too much away, may I ask; is it a specific scheme or generic?

Well, gee, I wonder whose machine I'm starting with? :grin: I'm also working on this guy's Eindecker, although he never scored with it, plus I'm doing every other plane he ever flew. I thought about doing some other Kasta 8 machines but the photos I have show them (Walfisch) with the round rollover cage and no forward firing Maxim. Could always throw accuracy to the wind, I suppose. And, a generic "sky camo" machine would be ultra-easy to whip up. Once I get the spinner holes and tail crossfield lined up properly (large pita) I'll be done with the basic template. After that it's mostly just swapping out specific markings.

Sounds great, old boy! 'Specially the generic one. :good:

Y'know, I'm really pleased you've made your way back to this game...I know you've got the other two, and it says a lot that you (being a pilot 'n all) rate FE as highly as you do.

JFM

I agree with you that we need a bombsight for the high-level bombardier on the Heavy Bombers.

I have bombed successfully by doing the following: I pickle the Primary Ground Target with E keystroke (or SHIFT+E if I by-pass it). Then I padlock the primary ground target the the F4 keystroke then toggle Off the cockpit with NUMPADPERIOD keystroke. This gives me a great view of the target as it moves under me without the cockpit floor in the way. I toggle the Wings Level SHIFT+A and correct my flight path with the Rudder, line-of-sight, in the external SHIFT+F8 Player to Target View . The problem is that I have no frame of reference when to drop the ordnance. It has become a learning experience thing with me. I set a consist altitude to fly from the initial point then "guesstimate" Bombs Away. So far in my learning process I am dropping either way too early or way too late. Oh well, Practice makes Perfect!!!

I got the impression after speaking with Tailspin that someone over on the ThirdWire SFP1 made a working WWII Nordan Bombsight. But I can not find it anywhere after an extensive search. We might be able to design an simulated optical sight like the Gotha bombardiers used by 'dumbing' down the Nordan .TGA file to show a pickle point based on altitude and speed. that would greatly improve our accuracy.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

The bombsight mods are on page 11 of the single ordinance mods. They work good for the WWII bombers...or they did at the time.

Thanks, Olpaint, I'll give that a try if this bombsight from Tailspin doesn't work out--and thanks, TS, for that.

(BTW, I'm from CMH and been to Roundtown for about a zillion Pumpkin Shows. :drinks: )

NeverEnough@

Thanks for the Bomb Sight lead. That is just the ticket!

Tailspin@

Oh, by the way, I have no experience with SFP1. Where do I go for the Mods Documentation that you are referring to? It appears that a lot of the Mods for TK's other Flight Sims could be adapted to First Eagles.

Quack74@

We need to get a Bomb Sight worked out for the FE Heavys. I will start experimenting with modifing the "No Cockpit Gun Sight pipper (toggle with NUMPADPERIOD keystroke), to move it down the screen, as a Bomb Sight. The Bomber Mod referenced above is a great start...We need a vertical line on the screen with tic marks showing altitudes where to pickle the bombs-away point. In the early days the bomb sight must have been nothing more than a simple telescope marked with a vernier graduation in the optic bolted to the nose of the A/C that the bombardier peered through to line up the primary target. The existing Gun Sight .TGA could be modified to represent that, I think.

JFM@

OT: Great to know a fellow Flight Simmer is so close. Pumpkin Show is a blast. This year is Circleville's Centennial Celebration. There are a lot of special events planned. I hope you can make it down!

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Actually we already have a WIP bombsight designed for the Gotha/Staaken.

It is part of my backlog. RL has complications which impede the FE work.

I'm in process of sorting things out for FE2. Please stand by.

post-6006-12698753999003.jpg

post-6006-12698756978962.jpg

Ol Paint,

Downloads>Strike Fighters/WOV,WOE,WOI etc.>Strike Fighters 1 Series....>SF/WO^Weapons Mods/skins>Single ordinance files>

Page 11.

Edited by Tailspin