Sign in to follow this  
sp0nky

[FE1] Game freeze at 60%

Hi all,

I'm glad to partecipate to this beautiful community and to share my passion for the WWI aircrafts.

I'm experiencing some troubles playing First Eagles: in particular, when I try to start a Mission (when I try to fly, in fact), the loading bar freezes at 60%. This happened when I selected "High" in the graphic details. Then I applied the Nov 2008 patch and the game work well at "High" detail. But when I try to set the details to "Unlimited". the freezing loadbar come again.

The only thing I installed is "First Eagles stock terrains upgrade pack" by Stary version 1.0 24.08.2009 that It seems don't work with only "high" details (or maybe I failed to do something).

Thank you for your eventual answers!

Hey there!

I had this problem, but cured it by setting the details one by one. I maxed the object and cockpit settings (as these are the only things you see long enough to matter), then set everything thing else to medium, except for ground objects to low, and the horizon distance to normal. After adding the ground/sky mods (but still using those settings) the game looked so good I never messed around with those settings since to track down which one was causing the loading problem.

Give it a try and see if it helps.

D.

Thank You devere, I'll try what you have recommended and I'll post what will be the best settings I can have.

Greetings!

Welcome to the forum, spOnky! Hope you get your setting sorted out as different values can affect frame rates. I suggest you get the "stock" version without addons set up and running to your satisfaction first then add mods one at a time testing as you go...especially those involving graphic enhancements. One thing to consider about Ground Object settings is that the lower setting affect how many objects are displayed. Most of those objects are small objects that add detail to airfields and such. My recommendation would be to set Ground Object to as high a setting as your system can handle. Its going to be a "trial and error" process for you and your system as different settings for the rest of the graphics details will have varied impact. Of course it also depends on what type of simmer you are. If you don't spend much time looking around at the ground then G.O.s are not that important but I would "aim" for at least a Normal setting for G.O.s JMHO.

TS

Thank you for the welcome and for the infos Tailspin! I'm really pleased to share my passion for the WW1 air warfare with other people. I fall in love with "Wings of glory" then got defenitvely stunned with "Flying corps" (but now it doesn't work anymore). Then I found First Eagles, finally a non-arcade WW1 air combat simulator. Ok now I stop talking about me.

About mi problem. In fact it is as you say: a "trial and error" process. I'll try to report the best settings for my video card in the case someone other has it. For now, I setted up some variables to "unlimited" and It works fine, but I'll report only when I find the max graphical settings sustainable by my system.

Best Regards!

Sorry, I should have said "High" for Ground Objects instead of Normal. There is a difference in the number of objects displayed between Normal and High. Let us know what you come up with. :good: