Sign in to follow this  
harryleith

Stock F-4E Phantom turning performance

Further, the F-4E had a significantly smaller antenna, as I mentioned. Remember that the naval phantoms were primarily interceptors, versus the bomb-truck status the F-4E had for most of its service life. Also remember that these naval interceptors would probably not have a lot in the way of AWACS/AEW support in the early '60s, and the onboard sensors become even more important. The flipside is that the naval phantoms' radar was also subject to violent landings, and the in-game similar capabilities between the J and the E are probably a simulated reflection of this difficult life for the navy birds. Now, the slatted wing birds were significantly more maneuverable, but then again they had lower top speeds. The S was probably the best in a furball, and the ability to slave the Sidewinder seeker to the HMS gave it yet another advantage.

I have been concentrating on flying my aircraft more steadily. Rather than yanking on the stick, I pull into the turn until the speed starts bleeding off, then just ease up a fraction. The aircraft then turns well but also maintains speed. This has helped me with almost every aircraft I have been flying in the game, not just the F-4s.

When pulling up into the vertical, I lose sight of the aircraft I'm chasing even when rolling inverted. I need a three monitor rig or trackIR to keep my eye on them as I pull up and over. Has anyone used trackIR? Does it make a difference?

TrackIR makes it easier to make quick glances.

If you want a true F-4 feel with the joystick you have to change the joystick sensitivity and null zone.

For real: an F-4 fight started at 450 kts or above would slow to about 300-350 kts with the stick in your gut at max AB.

A Mig would still outturn you if you stayed fairly level. If you pulled it out of AB,you would fall out of the sky.

Therefore,keep the speed high and run away for a ways and turn back in for an AIM-7 shot or go vertical.

The F-8's and F-4's were the first Navy and Marine fighters where you had enough power available to truly go vertical.

In the fight that Randy Cunningham had with the mythical Col Toon it really surprised him to see the Mig go into the vertical along with him. Most of the North Vietnamese,Chinese and Soviet pilots flying in Vietnam would fight fairly level turns. If you went vertical they would break off and run for home.

Today all good fighter pilots use the vertical. A turn in the vertical is still a turn. With the thrust to weight ratios getting close or at 1to1,you can go straight up accelerating clear to forever.

If someone figures out how to get the AI in the game to start using the vertical most of the time we will have a GREAT DEAL more difficulty completing missions.

I compiled a tactics manual for the Phantom for Freefalcon 5 a while back. I got the info from some references I have; much of it is taken directly from the references- I didn't write original material. Some of the info that is applicable to the discussion is below:

The F-4 needs to have performance (read: airspeed) before entering a fight. Furthermore, energy management is critical; lost airspeed requires pre-planning to recover. The Phantom is a fast, powerful jet, but if you’re relying on your throttle to pull you out of a bad situation you are already way behind in a fight.

We have three measures of performance available to us in the cockpit: Mach Number, True Airspeed (TAS) and Indicated Airspeed (IAS). In a tactical engagement the only measure with is important to us is IAS. At a specific IAS, whether we are high or low, the aircraft is capable of virtually the same performance.

As a rule of thumb, you should always strive to maintain 450 KIAS minimum on the F-4 in a combat environment. At 450 KIAS it becomes aerodynamically possible for the F-4 to pull 6 ½ G. At this speed the F-4 can match the G availability of the MiG-21/19/17 and most other fighters. Below 420 KIAS the F-4 becomes G limited; anything below 420 KIAS is essentially unusable airspeed. In contrast, an aircraft like the MiG-17 is turning best at about 350 KIAS.

While the F-4 is thrust limited compared to later generation fighters, it still has tremendous thrust availability and excellent performance in the vertical plane. Provided you have 250 KIAS when pointing straight up, the aircraft will fall through the top of a loop without any problems. If you have 450 KIAS on your aircraft, consider using the vertical plane. Trade airspeed in excess of 450 KIAS for altitude and avoid the huge radius turns that will result from flying at 500 KIAS or more.

Along with the airspeed indicator, you will become intimately familiar with the angle of attack (AoA) gauge in the F-4 Phantom. Fortunately for us, the AoA is displayed in the top left of the HUD in FreeFalcon 5; this partially compensates for the lack of physical cues (like buffeting) that indicate units of AoA in the real jet. In the real jet, 11 Units AoA is buffet onset. Because buffet isn’t modeled physically, perhaps the best use of this number is as a gauge of your opponent’s performance in an F-4 v F-4 engagement.

Proper AoA use in the F-4 is vital. Two numbers to commit to memory are:

16 Units = Max sustained turn performance – Hard Turn

20 Units = Max instantaneous performance – Break Turn

At 16 units the aircraft is turning best and sustaining performance. At 20 units the aircraft has very high induced drag. The aircraft’s performance washes off at the alarming rate of 100 knots in 7 seconds! There are, therefore, only two occasions when the aircraft should be pulled into 20 units:

1. If an opponent is inside of your lethal cone, with his nose pointing toward you, and you have no option but to BREAK into him.

2. You are attacked without having fighting performance on your aircraft. It is no good trying to turn with another aircraft when your speed is down in the 350 KIAS region. This might be the one occasion when you have no option but to break into your opponent using 20 units and pull the throttles to idle. One advantage the F-4 has is that with a high angle of attack and idle power it will slow down quicker than most other aircraft. In this method it may be possible to force your adversary into an overshoot situation, and perhaps out ahead of you. Now think about escaping, before his wingman comes into the picture with you at less than 200 KIAS.