Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

Rise of Flight - Offline

Rise of Flight just sent me an e-mail saying that with their newest patch, you can play off-line. No more on-line DRM. Bravo.

Hellshade

Well yes. But you still have to be online to play the campaign.

Precisely VP. You also have to be connected to the mothership to install it. You have to be connected to the mothership to load it. Once loaded you can disconnect for single player missions then reconnect when you want to play another one. Why bother.

OFF can be installed without being connected to a mothership. OFF can be loaded without connection to a mothership. OFF doesn't require re-connecting for the next mission. OFF is pure standalone. No connection required at all. And as an exclusive single player, that is what I expect when a dev tells me they're making single player offline.

But Neoqb has come up with a half arsed compromise to attempt to please the punters whilst retaining strict DRM.

Neoqb can go fly the same kite as Ubiscam.

Neoqb can go fly the same kite as Ubiscam."

Amen to that, and its time folks started getting hard with these firms by avoiding all of thier products until thier profit margins send them a graphic wake up call.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

Neoqb can go fly the same kite as Ubiscam."

Amen to that, and its time folks started getting hard with these firms by avoiding all of thier products until thier profit margins send them a graphic wake up call.

ZZ.

Exactly! - I never did believe that it was going truly offline, even when their forum said it was.

Eventually, they will learn. Then they will get some revenue. They got one or two to buy on the promise of having offline play without internet connection.

But if they want sales to blossom, i think they'll have to go truly offline, like OFF is.

Rise of Flight just sent me an e-mail saying that with their newest patch, you can play off-line. No more on-line DRM. Bravo.

Hellshade

Yes, this was an excellent move by Neoqb!

The new Quick Mission mode with the varying wind, turbulence, weather, specific skins for opponents, etc, is OUTSTANDING!

Well yes. But you still have to be online to play the campaign.

This is untrue.

I just played the Hat in the Ring campaign offline a few minutes ago. It is true, tho, that to progress after a mission, you must reconnect to the master server, so you have to play the campaign piecemeal offline...which could be a drag if you have a net connection issue.

There's lots to do offline, though, as you can also play the Quick Missions, the various scenarios and "fly now" situations offline.

True, you must patch the game online, but ALL games are patched online now, including OFF.

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

I

Precisely VP. You also have to be connected to the mothership to install it.

I installed it from my copy of the DVD.

No need for a mothership…

You have to be connected to the mothership to load it.

I loaded my copy from the DVD drive to the HD, then loaded it from the HD and played it….

No need for a mothership…

<BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break">

Once loaded you can disconnect for single player missions then reconnect when you want to play another one. Why bother.

I loaded the game offline, played single player missions offline, then without reconnecting, played another one offline. It is true that the campaign mode requires a mission update online between missions. With all the other modes available offline, this isnt that big of a deal IMO.

You do have to download a patch to play offline, but all patches for all games need to be downloaded, or sent to you from a friend who himself downloaded it and put it on a CD for you.

I’m unsure where you get your information from….but it’s somewhat inaccurate. You’re spreading misinformation.

Here's the official news release from Neoqb if you want to know the actual state of offline play:

http://riseofflight....gs/default.aspx

Hope that helps.

This is untrue.

I just played the Hat in the Ring campaign offline a few minutes ago. It is true, tho, that to progress after a mission, you must reconnect to the master server, so you have to play the campaign piecemeal offline...which could be a drag if you have a net connection issue.

As far as I know a campaign has more than one mission, right?!

So I cannot play the whole campaign offline, right?!

When I said that one cannot play the campaign in offline mode, I'm being untrue??? :blink:

Heh. Sorry. You are correct. You cannot play the WHOLE campaign in offline mode.

As an aside,

OVS, probably best to lock this thread. No one really cares about discussing RoF here. After all, we're here to discuss OFF. Likely, this thread will just degrade into hostility and inflammatory remarks.

Not in my part.

I don't feel any kind of hostility against you or RoF. :drinks:

I'm watching it... so far.. it's OK, but truthfully, the RoF threads really need to diminish in frequency.

It is an OFF forum, but as you know... Shred and I are pretty lax on things... just keep it civil.

'nuff said....

:big_boss:

Not in my part.

I don't feel any kind of hostility against you or RoF. drinks.gif

No VP, not directing that at you.

Just saying before it gets bad. grin.gif

I queried the offline thing on SimHQ, and what came back was that, in effect, you could fly individual missions of your campaign (or whatever) offline - ie, with no concurrent server connection - however if you wished to progress, or if your pilot carked, or whatever, then you had to go back online.

That's the bit that I still have problems with.

I think that OBD got it right in making offline/stand alone purely independent of external servers. That's not because I'm a libertarian per se (although I probably am to some degree), but rather that I think that paying money for a game should have no ties attached regarding playability should the mothership ever cark.

You all behaved quite civilised, I'd say. And I say "Amen" to your last two lines, Mighty.

Well I have got it..I played offline..but the graphics were all crap for some reason...go online, and they're all fine again.

I don't think I particularly wasted my money buying it...but (IMHO) it is inferior in almost every respect to OFF...whether you are online or not.

It's IL2 with Biplanes,,,but each to their own I guess.

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

If there were a way to combine the D/M, F/M, and Graphics or RoF with the campaign/UI of OFF, I'd be in heaven.. But there is not, so I play OFF grin.gif . I feel like I'm doing something in OFF where in RoF I feel like the "career" is just a string of single missions.. Oh.. Wait.. Thats cuz it its.. dntknw.gif

Edited by Ryan H

If there were a way to combine the D/M, F/M, and Graphics or RoF with the campaign/UI of OFF, I'd be in heaven.. But there is not, so I play OFF grin.gif . I feel like I'm doing something in OFF where in RoF I feel like the "career" is just a string of single missions.. Oh.. Wait.. Thats cuz it its.. dntknw.gif

My feelings exactly!..well said Ryan :salute: (except I feel OFF's graphics are better than ROF's in many ways)

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

blink.gif I dont know about this thread degenerating into $%#$%$#@ and &^%$%^ #@#@#@@# Hostility Over Rise $%$#$% of %$$#@# Flight. I mean cant we all just ^%$#$#@ get along.rofl.gif

it's rather like saying you drive for free when you still have to pay to start and stop the car.

if you need to be online at any point between loading up the program, playing a campaign or dogfight, then exiting to the desktop, it cannot be said to be offline, because you require to be online at somepoint during the process.

all they're saying is that you don't have to be online for the flying bit, you still have to phone home at some point ('mission update' being the gamespeak they use, meaning you phone home at the end of a misson to tell them how you've done)

It boils down to this: The drm is part of their business model, in agreement with their publisher, and therefore it will stay for the forseeable future. The public don't like this, so naturally they will try to convince people it has gone forever.

it's just a marketing ploy to try and sell copies to people put off by the mention of drm. it is likely to be too little, too late.

i'm afraid it's not possible to combine obd's gammaking with neoqb's simply because the companies have different business models, different strategies, and completely different approaches to gammaking, ergo the products are very different.

people like rof and off because they have very distinct effects on the gamer, becuse they have been made in very different ways, with very different approaches. both teams have their rightful place in the industry.

The way "Over Flanders Fields" is concepted and created means more to me than I can put into words.

They have done the superb job, almost a little miracle *, that I do feel like a pilot in that time, when I

pick a campaign / carreer.

Of course, the aircraft do look excellent in RoF (only seen videos; don't have it); and the trains, tanks

and the water etc. And of course I'd like to mix parts of each up to a new, even greater sim.

But since that will never be, I much prefer to fly "equipped with the full immersion".

And the curiosity, what the devs will come up with next.

(lots of historical research, and accuracy on 4.000 plus skins)

Lets start our own WW1 Flight Sim called "Rise over Flanders Fields" and the add-on "between earth and flight"

I'm playing a little ROF after the new update 10.111111111111 and its looking great. Lots of new effects. Visuals and sound it brilliant.

The only reason flying ROF is because I'm a POW in my DID campaign. After the 22 March 1917. NADA ROF.

M

Hihihi!!! Poor Morris - but as a POW in a French camp, you might get some decent food?

Or some bonny French Madam's :drinks:

Well I have got it..I played offline..but the graphics were all crap for some reason...go online, and they're all fine again.

I don't think I particularly wasted my money buying it...but (IMHO) it is inferior in almost every respect to OFF...whether you are online or not.

It's IL2 with Biplanes,,,but each to their own I guess.

Actually, Canvas Knights will be IL2 with biplanes and it will probably give both ROF and OFF a run for their money. Point of fact, ROF looks nothing like IL2. IL2 actually looks more like OFF. But still nothing can beat the campaign mode of OFF! The aircraft rendering in ROF is superb but the terrain is not that great. If i could take the planes from ROF and put them with the terrain of OFF or IL2 it would be fantastic. One aspect i do like in ROF and IL2 over OFF is that the skins are much easier to deal with for MP games. No mismatches!