Sign in to follow this  
appraiserfl

Reading SAGITTARIUS RISING for the first time.

Based on praise from fellow OFFers I picked up a copy of Sagittarius Rising by Cecil Lewis and absolutely love it! I am taking the read slow, on a book like this it feels more alive to me if I only do a few pages at a time and let the stories absorb in. I finished Bloody April last week and really enjoyed that as well as it is a good historical account, but I prefer stuff like Sagittarius Rising as it is written directly from the horses mouth! Anybody have anymore recommendations for books similar to SR? Thanks!!

Based on praise from fellow OFFers I picked up a copy of Sagittarius Rising by Cecil Lewis and absolutely love it! I am taking the read slow, on a book like this it feels more alive to me if I only do a few pages at a time and let the stories absorb in. I finished Bloody April last week and really enjoyed that as well as it is a good historical account, but I prefer stuff like Sagittarius Rising as it is written directly from the horses mouth! Anybody have anymore recommendations for books similar to SR? Thanks!!

Hope it's not a spoiler for you, but prior to reading this, I didn't appreciate pilots could 'see' artillery shells at the top of their trajectory. - You couldn't make up that kind of detail unless you'd actually been there....

It's nothing like out there... C.L. is a great author indeed. It is not addressed only for people interested in WWI aviation. It is pure literature and not just plain combat reports.

Try "Winged Victory" by V M Yeates, widely regarded as a classic description of aerial combat and the futility of war. It's actually one of the very best war novels of all time.

The book is semi-autobiographical. Yeates was on Camels with 46 Sqn in 1918, and lost all of his friends by the end of the War. T E Lawrence (of Arabia) praised the book on its release, saying "Admirable, admirable, admirable. One of the most distinguished histories of the war ... masterly". Sadly Victor Yeates died in 1934 from tuberculosis (aka "Flying Sickness "D"") contracted during his war flying service.

It's nothing like out there... C.L. is a great author indeed. It is not addressed only for people interested in WWI aviation. It is pure literature and not just plain combat reports.

I just finished a book called "Aces Falling", really good read and full of combat reports from WW1 aces. brilliant first hand insight to WW1 aerial combat.

SR is indeed an engossing read. Here's a few more ....

No Parachute - Arthur Gould Lee

Into the Blue - Norman Macmillan

MvR - The True Story - It was Sergeant Cedric Popkin ! - W. J. Snowy Evans

Biggles of the Camel Squadron - W.E. Johns

An outstanding read appraiserfl, and here are a few more of my favorites:

"Wind in the Wires", by Duncan Grinnell-Milne

"Heaven High, Hell Deep", by Norman Archibald

"Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps", by James McCudden

"Fighting the Flying Circus", by Edward Rickenbacker

"The Way of the Eagle", by Charles Biddle

"With the Earth Beneath", by A.R. Kingsford

But then, there are just so many great accounts.

Wings of War by Rudolph Stark. In this fine work written by Stark who was a pilot and painter you read the German side of things including the the final days of conflict and the hardships the Jastas confronted with all too young pilots and the lack of materials. I found this book fascinating and a nice change from the Brit/US viewpoint. http://www.crossandcockade.com/pdf/Stark.pdf

Sagittarius Rising,

Winged Victory,

Flying Fury (McCudden)

are MUST reads, IMO.

I'd also recommend any of those Lou has mentioned.

If you want a good RNAS pick and read, then 'Naval Eight' from the Imperial War Museaum is worth getting.

As for Biggles, you'd need to read Biggles Pioneer Air Fighter, Biggles of 266 and Biggles Learns To Fly to get all the stories :grin:

Here's a 33 page preview of Sagittarius Rising for those interested

http://books.google....page&q=&f=false

Lewis' writing style seems to put you right at the scene ...but then ol' Duce might be a little bias dntknw.gif eh?

I especially recommend the squadron take-off detailed on page 27

Thanks guys! I ordered:

Fighting the flying circus

Heaven High, Hell Deep

Wings of War

Flying Fury

Aces Falling

Winged Victory

And

A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity

These should keep me busy for a while an then I will look into the other ones posted here!

Thanks guys! I ordered:

Fighting the flying circus

Heaven High, Hell Deep

Wings of War

Flying Fury

Aces Falling

Winged Victory

And

A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity

These should keep me busy for a while an then I will look into the other ones posted here!

how about the book published by our forum member and expert JFM.

i'll order that soon for sure good.gif

Manfred von Richthofen – The Aircraft, Myths and Accomplishments of ‘The Red Baron’

appraiserfl, I believe JFM's work is currently available at RZM.com for $26.99, (after the internet order discount):

Miller's MvR Book

Guest British_eh

appraiserfl, I believe JFM's work is currently available at RZM.com for $26.99, (after the internet order discount):

Miller's MvR Book

Thanks guys, and for the link too.

Cheers,

British_eh