Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Any Home Theatre (hdtv) Guru's?

I'm looking at buying a complete new Home Theatre package...but I tell ya, If you guys don't know what the world is talking about when it comes to HDTV formats and what not, you can easily be overcome with problems.

I wanted to kick some dust here to see if anyone else has experience with a home theatre system to include: Widescreen HDTV, 6.1 or better surround sound, and maybe even a DVD-RW.

All this, and I plan on doin a little Flying in LOMAC as well as shooting up the VIP in AAO...can't wait.

Can ya post you knowledge?

<C>

Fates

i can help with theLamac and AA part

This is something I've got on the horizon as well, was waiting till I finished the major remodelling work on the house. Now that I'm wrapping that up finally, I'm going to start some fun projects. :D We should start gathering info and posting our findings as we go.

My plan is an big-screen HDTV / Surround Sound along with a home-grown Tivo/media center. Something I can watch movies as well as stream my MP3 collection. I've been looking at some of the cool linux-based PVR projects like Freevo and MythTV:

MyhtTV Main Menu

bluetvmenu.png

Freevo Main Menu

freevo_ss1_640.jpg

Also, it's time to get back to my MAME Arcade Cabinet project before my son disowns me... ;)

LOL on the MAME cabinet...That would be a great project.

One of the best sights I've found for learning everything about HDTV is : http://www.hdtvoice.com. Lots of great info

I'm interested in learning all I can...it's a major purchase and the Wife just ok'd adding a DVD-RW console to the list. Ask me if I argued with her...hehe

I'm currently thinking

Mitsubishi 65" HDTV WS-65313

Yamaha 150 Watt 7.1 Surround Sound

Pioneer DVD-RW

But...still gots me alot of research to do.

<C>

Fates

OK, MJ....I finally completed most of it.....with some bad news.

Mitsubishi 65" WS-65315 HDTV

Yamaha 700 watt 6.1 Surround Sound

Toshiba Progressive DVD

Pace HDTV Tuner

I hooked the computer up to it today via DVI cable and Componet cables. It works, but the resolution is 640x480 (480p) (60Hz) I can expand the resolution up to 1600x1200 but here's where it becomes all messed up.

The picture expands beyond the bounds of the screen. In other words, if 640x480 fits the screen, then 1600x is bigger and I only get a small portion of the screen viewable on the monitor.....I have to mouse up to the edges. I'm still gonna play with it some more and see what HDTVoiace guys have to say......

But..anyway....here it is....btw....that's my Atari 2600 console in the lower left...hehe

Fates, I don't know much about HDTV or anything, but for speakers, you can't get much better than Klipsch. www.klipsch.com For home theaters, look at their Reference series. I've seen them in a couple stores (Nebraska Furniture Mart, I believe), and they sound awesome, and they look cool too, if you take off the grills. You might also want to look at a Microsoft Media OS computer. Those are supposed to be good for home theaters too...

i can vouch for Klipsch all right. I'm very happy with mine

Fates,

For me, trying to make informed decisions on purchases and upgrades for a home theater is vastly more complex than PC building. When I was putting together my very modest HT I found Home Theater Spot to be incredibly helpful. Their forums have lot of very knowledgeable and helpful people.

Yes i agree Raptor i just bought the cinema 10 series last month along with a

denon 884 av reciever and it sounds fantastic the best part is when movies are coded with dts digital sound like band of brothers it just rocks the house off its foundation.