Sign in to follow this  
Toadvine

SE5a won't keep firing

I want to get my machine guns on my SE5a to fire all the time. I can shoot a number of rounds then the gun stops. I dunno if it is jammed, or out of ammo, or over heated or what, but I want to be able to fire these guns as much as I want without interruption. Ticking unlimited ammo in OFF Workshop doesn't seem to help. Neither Shift +J to refill selected weapon, nor Shift + C for reloading top weapon get it back in operation.

Is there some kind of arcade setting available to get these guns to fire all the time? This game is difficult enough for me without this realistic gun activity!.

Hi Toadvine

Welcomes to OFF!

Gun Jams are designed into the OFF software

Best to fire in short bursts, 2-3 sec, to lessen the possibility of Jams

If they're still bothersome, I think you can turn Jams off in Workshops

btw. New Guy buys the Beer!

drinks.gif

They are jamming then? So, all I need to do is fire in shorter bursts and they will not jam? I can do that, not a problem. The only time you need to fire is when the enemy are in your sights, which isn't all that often. I only have to pay attention and not squeeze the trigger non stop.

I have looked for gun jam options in the Workshop, but haven't seen any.

Yep, Gun Jams add another level of realism/immersion to the sim

And you'll find this sim is loaded with immersion

No gurantee on jams

Don't know the exact coding, but 5 sec bursts will get you jams for sure

But bad ammunition (bent) was common in WWI

The pilots often sorted their bullets to minemize jamming

What version of OFF are you flying?

You can find the ver at the bottom right in Workshop

Gun Jams were an optional update in P2 but I believe standard in both BH&H and HitR

In HitR v.1.47 Gun Jam Control is located Bottom Center in Workshop

Right below the "Set FOV" Button

Ahem ...awfully thirsty thread around here heat.gif

Hi Toadvine I see you flew over fron SimHQ, welcome! It's great group of guys here and you will find them very helpful but we do get thirsty.

Advice on shooting at the Dastardly Kraut...

Get close then closer then closer then closer and when you can nearly reach out and shake his hand get closer still then shoot him...

Also if I am right (Someone tell me if not) the Lewis gun on the Se-5a only holds a 97 round magazine... though you can reload...

Edited by Slartibartfast

Ah, yes, all this great information is surely worth the price of a round of beers! Problem is I don't keep any beer around, 'cause I don't drink it. I do have one bottle of Heineken in the fridge someone left, which has been there since I don't know when. I drink tea myself, even coffee is too strong for me!

My OFF version is Phase 3 V1.32g. Which I thought is as far as I can take it without the HitR expansion. But, if I am wrong about that clue me in and I will patch it up. Not much point in me getting HitR because I have barely scratched the surface of this version I have now. Unless HitR does a lot more than add content; like improved flight model, damage model, graphics, over all performance, etc.

I am flying this sim mainly for the campaign experience. I want to see what this campaign is all about. Of course I am enjoying the the cool additions and upgrades since I played OFF when it originally shipped. I like the destructible ground objects, along with the explosion effects and all the activity on the ground. Gas clouds, artillery rounds, ground fire.

I took some advice I found in another thread about starting the game with 56 squadron in early 1917. Before reading that I was trying to fight in mid 1918 and getting blasted. 1917 is much more pleasant! I even get to begin in England where we haven't seen a single Hun!

My computer specs are :

Win 7 64

i7 920 cpu

6GB Ram

HD 4850 500MB

21 inch Viewsonic Prof Series P225f 4:3 CRT monitor

Thrustmaster T.16000 joystick

The game runs great with most sliders on 5. I do get the sharp triangle white jaggies along the edge of the screen when I pan too quickly with my TiR 5.

I set my AA in the workshop graphic config to 4 but it seems to reset to zero when I close the app. So, I dunno if it is actually working in game or not.

The game runs smooth as one would expect who has high expectations!

Toadvine, welcome Over Flander Fields!

Try to change the "Smooth" slider in TrackIR to get rid of the jaggies.

also check my "Graphic Settings" advice in another recent thread here:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/54198-graphic-settings-are-they-really-that-easy/page__view__findpost__p__396674

And please send me a PM with your town and country - I want to add you

to our OFF Pilots Word maps. Thanks!

That's true about the 97 round magazine, however the reloading ( Shift + C ) is totally cosmetic. You are given upon loadout the equivelent of as many magazines as were normally carried

Cosmetic! This is good to know, I won't bother with it then, I thought I was reloading the top gun...

Ah, yes, all this great information is surely worth the price of a round of beers!

You're ging to make an outstanding new addition to this forum!

Glug, glug, glug, ...urrrp! drinks.gif

My OFF version is Phase 3 V1.32g. Which I thought is as far as I can take it without the HitR expansion. But, if I am wrong about that clue me in and I will patch it up. Not much point in me getting HitR because I have barely scratched the surface of this version I have now. Unless HitR does a lot more than add content; like improved flight model, damage model, graphics, over all performance, etc.

Yep, that takes BH&H to the latest update

There should still be a Gun Jam Control in Workshop somewhere

Just click on the HitR Ad Banner above and it'll detail the Expansion Pack

6 more planes and several mods

Well worth it ... but it's your nickel

Thanks for all the input you guys. I already died flying my SE5a. Never even saw a single Hun, or got out of England! I was taking off on a typical combat mission when I flew into a wingman on the airfield. Inglorious end to be sure! I might start up another pilot in 56 Squadron, but start a little later so I will be in France and maybe see some action before I do something dumb.

Thanks for all the input you guys. I already died flying my SE5a. Never even saw a single Hun, or got out of England! I was taking off on a typical combat mission when I flew into a wingman on the airfield. Inglorious end to be sure! I might start up another pilot in 56 Squadron, but start a little later so I will be in France and maybe see some action before I do something dumb.

Suggest you try 74 Squadron

They fly the Viper version of the Se5a

Performance is the same but there are some small differences in the craft that improve vision

The tubular Aldis Sight is replaceed by a simple Ring Sight

And the headrest is removed giving a clear view to the rear

Shoot down as many Huns as possible!! :drinks:

Toadvine, this may feel inglorious, but it's an honest report about becoming an OFF Pilot.

This sim is the opposite of "arcadish" - it feels as real as we can get right now.

Pilots had accidents in those days, and some of them were fatal, and they never saw

front service action. When you begin with the worst things to happen - like this accident -

you will learn from them, and next time you'll make it better. And better.

It took me half a year, until I was good on the Albatros - and that is only one fighter.

I would have to learn the others still - this sim supplies me with so much to experience -

You will get better slowly. Don't give up. It will be rewarding!

Edited by Olham

Suggest you try 74 Squadron

They fly the Viper version of the Se5a

Performance is the same but there are some small differences in the craft that improve vision

The tubular Aldis Sight is replaceed by a simple Ring Sight

And the headrest is removed giving a clear view to the rear

That is a pretty good reason to switch right there.

You want an inglorious death, my first Franco-American (Lafayette Escadrille) pilot just died a little bit ago. I took him out on a free-flight mission to test a graphics change I had made. Since I was just going to go out and fly around the field for a minute or two, I foolishly didn't tick the "Pilot Never Dies" option. Everything was going great till landing. I lined up and brought the Neuport 11 in for a smooth, almost perfect landing. However, a few moments after touchdown the plane suddenly wheeled to the right and flipped over on it's left wing. It then cartwheeled over the nose and the screen went red. Debrief informed me my pilot had died of his injuries.

No idea what happened to cause the crash. Might have been a program error, or it might have been a previously damaged wheel that hadn't been repaired and finally gave way. Either way, it makes the sim a bit more interesting and emersive.