Sign in to follow this  
JackBauer007

Flaming cliffs to FLV

I need help in turning my recorded flights into FLV files that I can post on youtube. I tried using Camtasia 6 to record the screen but it's slow and messed up. Anyone who knows how to do this please let me know the easiest way to get a good recording that I can post.

thanks

I'm not a movie maker myself (it sounds very time consuming and laborious!!), but I do remember a bit of what I've read on the Forums about what most folks do.I think most movie makers use a utility called FRAPS to do screen capture. Look up FRAPS on wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraps ), there are links to where you can get it plus links to tutorials on how to use it.

Record your Track as normal and save it with some suitable name.

Go into the Mission Editor, choose OPEN, then bottom right of screen you will see TYPE OF FILE, choose TRACK FILES. Navigate your folder structure to wherever you saved your track and choose your track by clicking on it, click on MAP, then (instead of pressing FLY) you choose (top left of screen) FLIGHT, VIDEO EDIT.

Now you can go through the track, pressing S to pause / unpause the track whenver you want to make a change. While it is paused you can change camera views with the usual F1, F2, F3, F4, F5 etc view keys, zoom in / out, etc, F6 weapon view, F7 vehicles, F8 target view, F9 ships, F11 for airfield view - whatever you want. Shift F10 to switch labels on / off etc.

If you use F2 external view, press Y twice to get rid of the status bar at the bottom of the screen before unpausing.

You can use CNTRL/A to speed up the running through the replay if you have a long bit you don't wish to edit, ALT/A to slow down and SHIFT/A to return to normal speed.

Be warned, occasionally changing views can change how the track replays and alter the outcome of the track ie a missile might miss when it hit previously! I think things like the use of helmet mounted sight is one of the problem areas, ditto the padlock command.

Once you finish, save it with a different name to preserve your original track. Always best to delete / overwrite nothing till you are 110% sure you dont need it again ;)

Now you can consider doing a screen capture of the parts of the whole track that you want. I'm guessing you need to start up FRAPS and then start up Lockon and play the track. Many folks use a movie editor tool such as Sony VEGAS/ VirtualDUB?/etc to cut up the clips and put them into the required final order and generate the final movie format required...

I do recall reading that some folks will slow the speed of the track with ALT/A to 1/2 or 1/4 speed (and later speed it back up to normal speed with whatever movie editing tool they are using such as Sony VEGAS). My understanding is that you get a better picture quality during screen capture that way. I also seem to recall there might be issues with the sound track matching the video when you use that technique?

Hope this helps...