Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Black screen of death in vista

Hi, folks. I am trying to solve this problem. I cant get access to my destop at all. I can email and do internet however. i also can go into another user account and it does not happen there. Only thing is many sf2 files are inthe corrupted user account. I have tried so many fixes and no go including microsoft's fixes. I found this article and wonder if anyone knows how to get to gpedit.msc”.

and local policy to security options in UAC. i tried looking for gpedit.msc and its not there. Hope you can help. thx.

http://www.theworldofoffice.com/vista-tips-tricks/cool-vista-speed-up-trick-for-a-better-user-experience-disable-uac/

gpedit is probably only in the business versions of Vista. If you can sign on as an admin why can you not just copy the files you need from your corrupted profile in c:\users\desktop over using windows explorer??

You cant see anything to copy anything over to the unaffected account from the screwed up account. I just have tons of files from serveral sims including sf2 and other important docs. You cannot see anything at all. If you go into folders, it freezes the machine. All i get is the mouse pointer and the taskbar below. You can open programs from start menu but to access c drive and folders, you cant. I tried the hit shift key 5 times trick to get ease of access link which opens the desktop but now that does not work. I am currently doing a scan with avast antivrus program. If this doesnt work dont know what else.

Run checkdisk on C see if that improves anything

btw can you see the files in the command line?

Edited by MigBuster

forgive me but where is checkdisk? is that under accessories in vista? only see disk defrag.

right click on the c drive, select properties - should by in the tools tab