Is their a way to give the Soviets a FAC for Soviet CAS missions?

Yep, go in the aircraft's _Data.ini and add "FAC" to the role (either primary or secondary) and it will have that role.

But, and it's a big, fat, hairy one, it will never actually do FAC missions.

That capability was torn out in the late SF1 days, and never worked in any SF2 titles.

Sure, they never actually went in and marked targets, but having `em zip around the area was

kind of cool. Added a touch of atmosphere as you ran in and saw him circling, along with the

callouts for stuff he wasn't actually doing...

It's too bad TK never made it a player mission, would be nice to "designate" with a laser, or smoke rocket and get effects on target...

That would be a great mission for me, I can't hit crap w/o LGB's or nukes :grin:

Just pickle of some Willie Pete, and talk 'em on to the target.

Unfortunately given the gameplay with SF1/2 it's a matter of designating, can't do a proper talk on, unless you were doing MP. Besides with the Objective waypoint it just ruins the fun...

This may not be the right place for this, but since the topic is FACs, here it goes: is it possible to shoot down an enemy FAC? A couple of months ago while in a CAS (Single Mission in WOE) I noticed an La-11 flying in circles above the Soviet tanks I had just destroyed. I pulled up on my A-1H, got close and fired my guns. I fired hundreds of rounds and none seemed to hit the target. I know the La-11 was flying in circles but I got close enough and compensated for its turn. I have gunned down faster and more agile planes before and in tighter turns and greater distances too, so what gives? And before any funny remarks, yes, I had my gunsight set to "Air to Air" (or whatever - can't remember now). Is it possible the game grants immunity to opposing FACs? To all FACs regardless of what nation is flying it? Was it all a bug or a glitch? Come to think of it, I never had a friendly FAC getting shot down either. Any insight will be welcome.

:dntknw:

This may not be the right place for this, but since the topic is FACs, here it goes: is it possible to shoot down an enemy FAC?

Yes it is, as I've done so on numerous occasions, back when the series was still generating FACs.

Thanks for answering, Fubar512. :good:

I do admit that seeing that La-11 in FAC duty was a surprise. It was the first and only time I saw a Soviet FAC. I just didn't shoot more rounds at it because a) I was running out of ammo and b) eight MiG-17s were arriving at the area to perform their own CAS and the A-1H is not the dogfighting type.

Have a great day!

Forward Air Control

Dels

You can kind of cheat and make yourself a FAC. Fly the F-100F, O/A-10, OV-10 and make the rest of your flight fast movers. Just designate your target and tell the AI to hit your targets. Pop a couple of smoke rockets on their for fun and away you go.

-S

P.S. also works for AWACS, JSTARS, etc...

The problem with that is that only #2 can use smart weapons (sometimes), and the rest go willy nilly on their own. But sometimes ya luck out :grin:

and .. the reason that FAC (since the patch before 08, I believe,,) has been removed is???

It's not like that FAC stuff ever worked properly to begin with...interesting enough, ground troops and FAC are still talking to each other...

and .. the reason that FAC (since the patch before 08, I believe,,) has been removed is???

I think TK was trying to get them to work correctly, hit a brick wall of some sort, and ripped out all functionality.

Either that or a fix for something else broke it, like the "Y" key to lock your wingmen up.

I miss that one more than the FAC...