Sign in to follow this  
trek

Skins Not Working?

OK, I downloaded a half-dozen skins from this site for FE2. I put them in my Mods>Objects>Aircrafts>Aircraft Type Folder. When I choose the paint scheme while in-game the skin choice is there. However, when I start flying, the plane is all-black (no colors). Anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?

I'm still flying the good old FE with expansion pack and really don't know how the file structure works in FE2 but, there should be some text you have to add to the config text file in the prospective planes folder your adding the skin to.Don't get me wrong here and I mean no disrespect but,are you reading the readme text documents when you download a skin?For instance here is one of my readme's Unzip to WWI/Objects/Aircraft/FokkerDr1 Folder and edit FokkerDr1 config text by adding these lines to the bottom:

[TextureSetxxx]

Directory=Werner Voss

Name=Werner Voss

Nation=GERMANY

Squadron=

Specular=0.300000

Glossiness=0.250000

Reflection=0.000000

Change the xxx to the next texture number in line.

Go into game and select mission with FokkerDr1, go into loadout screen and select Werner Voss ------Are you adding the text to the correct config text file?like I said and I might be wrong I'm not familiar with FE2 file structure but,I'll almost bet you still have to add the corresponding text to the config text file.

Edited by gumpy

I'm still flying the good old FE with expansion pack and really don't know how the file structure works in FE2 but, there should be some text you have to add to the config text file in the prospective planes folder your adding the skin to.Don't get me wrong here and I mean no disrespect but,are you reading the readme text documents when you download a skin?For instance here is one of my readme's Unzip to WWI/Objects/Aircraft/FokkerDr1 Folder and edit FokkerDr1 config text by adding these lines to the bottom:

[TextureSetxxx]

Directory=Werner Voss

Name=Werner Voss

Nation=GERMANY

Squadron=

Specular=0.300000

Glossiness=0.250000

Reflection=0.000000

Change the xxx to the next texture number in line.

Go into game and select mission with FokkerDr1, go into loadout screen and select Werner Voss ------Are you adding the text to the correct config text file?like I said and I might be wrong I'm not familiar with FE2 file structure but,I'll almost bet you still have to add the corresponding text to the config text file.

You don't need to that anymore gumpy - the game now reads all subfolders for texture files and then adds them to the ini.

As you can select the skins in-game trek, then they are in the right spot and being read by the game. But do you have the the skins in the right plane folder? Eg, you will get white (not black) planes if you place an Albatros Dv skin in the Albatros Dva folder. Done this a few times myself.

But have never have seen a black plane, just white, if the game doesn't like the skin so could be something else.

Edited by peter01

Well I'll be darned!Thanks for teachin a old dog a new trick peter01.

Thanks for the replies, guys. Yes, I'm placing the (for example) DR1 Skin in the DR1 Folder. peter01, thank you also for the info about not having to do the skin procedure the old way. I've tried it the old and new way. I assume I'm setting up the folders right: Mods>Objects>Aircrafts>Aircraft Type>Skin Folder? I mean, the Texture.INI is inside the (for example) DR1 Berthold Folder and I'm placing that folder inside the Aircraft Type (DR1 Folder). It is weird that the plane is showing in-game as all-black.

Perplexing problem trek.

I'd say there is nothing wrong with the skins or where you are placing them - as the game can read them - and all skins that worked in FE1 work in FE2. I ported all mine across, all are fine tho some have minor individual issues that all come up as "white" and decals need to be set up.

So ... have you modded any graphical settings for the game by editing files, or downloaded and installed stuff that does? Perhaps in the Effects Folder that worked for FE1, but may not for FE2? It certainly seeems like that to me ... your problem is an unusual one.

If so undo. If you know what files or even folders, just move them all into a temp directory until you sort out your problems, the game ALWAYS reverts to the stock files/folders in the .cat files - just keep the aircraft folder, ie, objects/aircraft folder contents only, and try the skins again.

If it works start adding files/folders to see which one is the problem. It is more 'n likely something in the Effects folder.

Or re-install the game and try adding skins again before adding/modding anything else.

I can't imagine it is anything else (eg graphics card or card settings, or in-game graphics settings) except some mods or changes you made if you can see stock skins okay.

Edited by peter01

just to make sure check that the skins are for the right model.there is a Stock third wire Dr1 and there is the earlier A-team model.if the skins your trying to use are ones put out a while ago they may be for the A-team model.

Thanks peter and whiteknight. Yeah, I discovered the problem over at ThirdWire with TK's help. And, you're right some of the skins I'd installed will not work with the standard Thirdwire models. Six of the DR1 skins I tried are for the A-team DR1s. I did successfully install four DVII skins and they are working.

I see many DR1 Skins in the Fokker Section by Quack74. Do you guys happen to know if his skins work with the standard ThirdWire models?