Well, for some unknown reason my HD shat itself and i could not retrieve a single thing off it. NOTHING!!!!. All i know is i turned my computer off for 3 days, came back and it wouldn't boot up.

Ladies and gents, if u are reading this and think it wont happen to u, guess what???

That was me 3 days ago. I have lost about 8 GB of WoE stuff. Not to mention my swedish map and campaign i was working on. 2 years of work gone. GONE!!!!!!

luckily i found a swed map that i had backed up about 3 weeks ago so at least now i have only weeks to catchup on. It will take me weeks to get everything WoE related back.

I emplore anyone who has not backed up at least their Objects folder to do so now. Oh and not in a zip file on the same HD like i did.

Lesson learned.

These kind of things have been happening way to frequent lately. I suspect that we have a spy amongst us that is trying to sabotage our community or people just have s**tty hardware :cool:

Why do you think I say to back our crap up!!!!!???????

We need a senate inquiry on these things.

Failure rate is become more than Toyotas. rofl.gif

Scott Mueller (Upgrading & Repairing PCs) has noticed "commodity" PC hard drives, I guess all manufacturers, made in the last 5 years fail more than older drives, because of more production with lower quality. He suggests "enterprise" quality hard drives -- for one thing, they are made to run continously. I figure they are at least double the price (SATA). Be careful out there. You too Dave. I saw one forum poast by a guy/guyette describing a loss of two external hard drives when trying to retrieve a backup.

gilig, why did you wait to tell us you were next? :dntknw:

The List

gillgav-16443.jpg

Hard drive crash

Has only old, partial backup

GMagosXcat_small.gif

Made backup mod DVD

Can't find it

No further backup

eraser_trav-7445.jpg

Hard drive crash

No backup

Bongodriverav-25123.jpg

Hard drive crash

No Backup

76.IAP-Blackbirdav-8289.jpg

Deleted game

No backup

Okay who's next?

I know exactly how you feel bud. I had a near disaster the other night. Of course in my state of chaos I decided to do a system restore; only to find out that every little folder and INI file from all my TW installs and mods were brought to their previous state ......... MINUS the BMPs, JPGs, TGAs et al. ohmy.gif Luckily I was able to reverse the restore and sort my problem out another way.

So the moral of my story - ALWAYS back up your Mod folders by copying them onto a blank DVD or a removable Hard Drive. DON'T wait until it happens to start worrying about it!

My comiserations on your loss, gillg.

Edited by Piecemeal

Maybe it's because I pick my hardware VERY carefully but I never had a HDD failure and/or data loss.

*knocks on wood, spits 3 times over his left shoulder, turns around 16 times counterclockwise and sings YMCA backwards on Romainan*

Maybe it's because I pick my hardware VERY carefully but I never had a HDD failure and/or data loss.

*knocks on wood, spits 3 times over his left shoulder, turns around 16 times counterclockwise and sings YMCA backwards on Romainan*

You will, don't worry.

For folks in the UK I can recommend the PC World £40 portable hard drive jobbie. It's about the size of a pocket calculator and stores 320GB. I bought mine this morning and it took me about 15 mins to back up my essential SF2 stuff.

Guest Raden

For folks in the UK I can recommend the PC World £40 portable hard drive jobbie. It's about the size of a pocket calculator and stores 320GB. I bought mine this morning and it took me about 15 mins to back up my essential SF2 stuff.

Guys, may I share what I have been doing to my only ACER oldie Laptop (3years oled now).

It has a mere 80Gigs and shared with our three grownup kids two in the college one works already as a Graphic Designer.

Their dad, me, got only 30 percent of the Dir-E (and for backup in C away from the Program) in a Sub-Dir Dad_Bak Up.

Pity it is only the dad who always (when at home not 'measuring the road' -- going out) did this:

1. a routine DEFRAG (check first/estimate) using 'One-for-All' FREE DL software i.e., WINTOOLS.

2. Using the 'inhouse' (comes with the WIN XP Patc 2 -- No Way Patch 3 as it IS a MINING/trawhling things by the WINDOWS giant when Firewall is ON) CLEANUP(IN ACCESSORY) I did the every-day cleanup op.

Repeat the same process USING an other free tool, ONE CLICK from, ahh I forgot the name. FREE DL, Share or BUY. Try visit ZDNET by region. Mine is the one in Ausie or Asia.

3. Using the WINTOOLS I could do these in addition to the splendid Defrag Op. Namely, Trash cleaning of files (unnecessary ones as backup etc), and of Registry.

4. Equip my lame-duck machine with TWO Free DL Anti Virus and SpywareTerminator, namely, as said before someplace here, the A-Square of Germany (not GemanyCE:grin:!) and the US based SPYWARE Terminator. Both MUST BE Updated (manually or automatically On-Line dudes) EVERYDAY.

One last fortress v the really pesky INDONESIAN virus/troyan, is SMADAV 2010.

U'd better DL it FREE as the MANY Virus of Indonesia did attack v overseas Online PCs laptops. Ask the PENTAGON boys and those in the US N.S.A.

Indonesian hackers has been (still going on every night) giving lots of sleepless, steamy nights on those hackers in MALAYSIA.

I did all this in LESS than an hour, and, thank G, I never sustained a serious crash that wiped out my n my kids files.

There is a unique single file (small one) in SMADAV to really keep ur Windows based Docs etc files really safe. They r 'boxed' in there that no virus could even touch.

Good luck.

I did twice had a deadly crash due to my silliness clicking the wong option that affected my whole system. Gotta go to a nearby vendor to fix it, lasted a half an hour just foe USD 10.00!  :bye:

Hey, we would not be dogfighting w/o wearing our parachute did we? Same case with our machine.....

Excuse for my typos.

Edited by Raden
  • Dislike 1