Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

TrackIR

Just got a second-hand TrackIR 4 and 5 version software. Oh man, how can you not have one? I can't believe the difference it makes.

I've used the profile by GeorgeBoles here and after flying for just over an hour did not have to use the bucket:good:

TrackIR vs hat switch? There IS no comparison! With TrackIR you just "look around" - so simple, so natural.

Ditto the advice on binding the VC view to the TIR center key. :good:

There is a "re-center" command you could put on a joystick thimb button; and a "precision" command too.

The second makes sense in a very agile and twitchy beast like the Dr.1.

When you press "precision" it is, as if you stiffen up your body and neck - you cannot check your six with it,

but you can aim and hit much better.

People don't realize how revolutionary TrackIR is until they try it for themselves. Then they'll be left wondering, how on earth they've played flight sims without it in the first place... TrackIR is a must-have with OFF, because the CFS3 view controls can be a bit... limited.

TrackIR is a must-have with OFF, because the CFS3 view controls can be a bit... limited.

Ha! :grin: That's a polite way of putting it. :ok:

“People don't realize how revolutionary TrackIR is until they try it for themselves. Then they'll be left wondering, how on earth they've played flight sims without it in the first place......”

Over the past several years, I've read this many times. Each time, I was a little sceptical. “Nothing wrong with a good ole hat switch”, etc.

Then, about six months ago, bewitched with OFF but bedevilled with the clunky (CFS III, I know) view system, I ordered Track IR 5. After just a few hours I realized why so many say what Hasse Wind says above. To my mind now, Track IR is as essential to flight simming as a decent CPU or video card.

Cheers,

Greg

Funny we say that over and over, it's like flying with keyboard only for 20 years and someone gives you a joystick.

Not just 1 or 2 people but 99% of people who try TracKIR say the exact same thing as you, yet everyone doubts it until they get one LOL.

Now you will NOT fly any sim that does not support it.

To cut a long thinking short - here is that demo again.

This guy demonstrated it very well.

The only question that will remain after seeing this video, is: how to get the money together.

“People don't realize how revolutionary TrackIR is until they try it for themselves. Then they'll be left wondering, how on earth they've played flight sims without it in the first place......”

Over the past several years, I've read this many times. Each time, I was a little sceptical. “Nothing wrong with a good ole hat switch”, etc.

Then, about six months ago, bewitched with OFF but bedevilled with the clunky (CFS III, I know) view system, I ordered Track IR 5. After just a few hours I realized why so many say what Hasse Wind says above. To my mind now, Track IR is as essential to flight simming as a decent CPU or video card.

Thats's the common story Greg

Me too, had to think about it for 6 months before making the leap

I'd place TIR a close 2nd most important hardwesre after Joystick

...but Pedals are a distant 3rd

One other note on TIR;

I've had it for 2 years, ranked it, dropped it, and inadvertently abused it many times

Can't break this thing, it's tough! even though it looks a little delicate

Has anyone had any malfunctions?

Not really. I use the TrackIR 4 hardware with TrackIR 5 software.

Now I often have to start it twice, cause the red lights in the device don't come on the first time.

But always after closing it and starting it again, it works properly.

Yeah, version 5 software sometimes seems to confuse TrackIR 4 so that you have to start it more than once to get it working properly - I've had that problem, but it's not too much trouble really, and I don't want to switch back to the older software, because my TrackIR 4 works much more smoothly with the new drivers.

Yes, I won't go back either. TrackIR was my best investment after OFF!

And version 5 is much smoother indeed.

Perhaps I've been lucky, and granted my experience is just six months, but I've yet to encounter a single glitch with Track IR, hardware or software. Would that the balance of the typical computing environment...... frikin' joysticks, for example.

And, for sure, there's “no going back”. I can accept no longer even IL2 - a sim I once loved – and its rudimentary two degrees of freedom. As in OFF, actually moving one's head freely about to look at the surroundings is, I imagine, rather akin to acquiring running water. (Well, okay......)

Cheers,

Greg

Edited by GregSM

I can accept no longer even IL2 - a sim I once loved – and its rudimentary two degrees of freedom.

Greg

Greg - I'm sure that the latest mods allow IL2 to run with 6DOF. Try www.allaircraftarcade.com.

TrackIR is to flightsimming, what Strawberries are to cream!

Yes, you can live without...but why the hell would you want to?

Thank you, Fortiesboy!

But I gather that some cockpits work perfectly with 6 DF, others a little less that perfectly, and others still, not so well. But perhaps I should look into it further.

Cheers,

Greg

Finally got the new rig set up to where I can fly again and - funny thing - I notice that I rarely use the Center button (mapped to Virtual Cockpit) anymore, I just "look around". :ok: I have great SA and rarely find myself "out of place".

Targeting is not an issue as TIR is so smooth I have no issues lining up a shot. Just felt so good about my additional immersion level that I thought I would share it with the group. :grin:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Yeah, I know what you feel, Barkhorn - it's like being up there, isn't it?

And now let's go back to our crates! ...