Sign in to follow this  
taktik

Engine just went off ...

Hey guys ,

My engine just went off during an engagment operation and I dont know how to start an engine in the middle of the sky.

Anyone know what to do in this situation?

I've also had moderate battle damage result in later engine failure. Whether due to fuel shortage or some other problem that worsened over time.

However, most of the time when I'm hit it's time to eject before an unseen fire blows me up (that has happened several times)!

IMMEDIATELY: MOVE THROTTLE TO MIDRANGE and TOGGLE the THROTTLE IDLE DETENT. If you can react before the RPM falls below 22-23% you should get a relight if there is nothing major wrong with your engine. Reset EPU after start.

PRACTICE THE ABOVE over and over until you do it without thinking.

If the immediate relight fails or your RPMs have fallen below 22%:

1. Close speedbrake

2. 3G/30degree Climb @250kts 0g push to arrive at 200kts

3. Jettison External stores

4. Throttle to Idle

5. JFS Start 2 when airspeed is below 400kts and altitude is under 20k

6. Throttle to midrange

7. When the SEC light goes out, hit the Idle Detent for relight

8. Verify RPM climbing

9. Adjust throttle accordingly

10. EPU switch to off then NORM

11. Return to base

If your AIR SOURCE is set incorrectly (or it could be ENGINE FEED - I can't remember which ), a negative G manuever will deprive your engines of fuel causing a flameout.

Good luck,

Hag

Hag, thanks for the helpful reply.

I can now restart a cold engine in the air.

Just one quick question. Will you please explain the difference between the THROTTLE DETENT TOGGLE (ALT - I in Falcon AF) and the 'detent' I.E. lowest position on my HOTAS throttle. I'm just having trouble understanding what the TOGGLE is there for.

Thanks!

@jtullman:

I'm glad I could help.

I'm not sure I understand your question, it seems you've answered it yourself.

You can press the keystroke (ALT-I) which is the same as pressing the IDLE DETENT, just like pressing CRTL-E is like pulling the ejection handle.

In the virtual pit, you can also 'click' on the idle detent; same thing ( well, almost, one is a keystroke and the other a function of the pit ).

Hag

The throttle idle detent is the STOP POSITION of your throttle movement . It is the point of engine idle and shall avoid to move the throttle

more backwards than the minimum fuel feed position.

If the detent is unlocked behind this position the engine gets no fuel anymore and stalls.

You wrote your engine stopped suddenly. It happened to me too when I clicked the left edge of the screen to change the view.

Unfortunately I exactly hit the area that clicks IDLE DETENT. Maybe that was the reason in your situation.

thanks emengency... that makes it perfectly clear... I guess I just wasn't understanding him properly... need more sleep!

Hag