Sign in to follow this  
Klewer

Some Questions About OFF

Hi All. Brand new here and love the look of this mod. Definetly thinking about purchasing it. I have some questions about it first.

I love the whole campaign nature of a game like this and the immersion it can bring. What is the actual campaign like in terms of everything apart from the actual flying ? Like reports, squadrons, promotions. In a way the career of your pilot. Sometimes I find this more enjoyable than the actual flying. I am also not that great at flight sim games so what kind of difficulty setting can this be played at ? I know I need the Microsoft game as well as a joystick.

I've had a look at all the info around the website and it looks good, just wanted some first hand advice on it. THanks !

Klewer:

Perhaps you could go to the OFF-Phase 1 & 2 section of the OFF forum and request a copy of phase 2 and try that. Did I mention it is free. It would give you a good idea of what Phase 3 BHAH might be like. Although Phase 3 is head and shoulders above phase 2. Most of us started out on Phase 1 and graduated to phase 2 & 3 & HiTR upgrades as they became available. Phase 3 HiTR is about as immersive as you can get. You would still need MS CFS3 to install Phase 2 and at the very least a joystick as a control input device.

Tony

clapping.gif I jumped in phase 3 then uped to Hat in the ring. Learning cruve steep but not unfun. The people in the forum are helpful and you wont be sorry. good.gif

Hi Klewer, welcome to the world of OFF

You won't regret this purchase

Lot of good advise here on the OFF/cfs3 purchase

If you're looking for a joystick, we just did a little Poll on JS?'s

http://forum.combata...unction-in-off/

Logitech Force 3D Pro seemed to produce the best Force Feedback results

Lucky too, it's not very expensive ...relatively that is dntknw.gif

You'll note, Al raised a quality concern though

HTH,

All good advice you're getting here, Klewer. I'm relatively new here but this level of help/advice is what you come to expect from these guys.

As far as difficulty settings go, although there is a steep learning curve there are enough "easy" settings to allow you to get used to it no problem. You'll love it - real immersive.

Welcome here, Klewer!

The "around-the-campaign-flying" stuff is:

1. you get promoted; I think more quickly when you complete your mission tasks

2. you receive medals like the "Pour Le Merite (Blue Max)"

3. you can fill in claim reports, and they will be decided about by the high command

4. you can add some sign or whatever to a skin, or even make your own one

(this needs additional, freeware programs)

5. you can choose from very many Squadrons / Jastas / Escadrilles

You can set up the sim in the "Workshop" to your likes; actually you can make very

individual settings to make it more or less difficult - much more can be done here than

just to choose between easy, medium and hard.

When you should get into it, you might later set it up very realistic. And then, believe me,

it will be tough to survive 17 hours. So it is a sim for a long time player/flyer.

But you must never go there, if you like it more easy.

grin.gif Becareful of what Olham says He will have ya flying and Albatross.good.gif

Oh, yeah, now he mentions it: the Albatros D.II and D.III are wonderful fighters !

And rather easy to fly!

Edited by Olham

Yep, the Eindecker has no timelike opponent here yet, so it is the toughest craft to survive in.

That's why I would not recommend to insist in flying the war from beginning to end.

Cause:

1. you won't ever get to 1917, and surely never to 1918

2. you would miss to learn flying an easier way

re:-the campaign

Guess that is what makes OFF sit head and shoulders above the rest!...The campaigns in 'other' WW1 sims is dissapointing at best!

Get OFF if you like the whole campaign thing :drinks: