Sign in to follow this  
Veltro2k

WINDOWS 7 32 bit upgrade to 64 Bit ?

Is it worth it ?..How will it effect SFP1 ?

well its better than vista 32

It works awesome. I have no issues with it at all with either series. (I still had FE installed for the 1st series) I like Win 7 so much a bought another copy and put it on my laptop. I may get another and put it on my wife laptop as well.

I dont know what kind of computer you have or how much knowledge you have about computers but unless you have at least 3.5gb of RAM you will not need a x64 bit OS.

But to your questions. There are no problems with the SF series and x64bit systems. Actually 99.9% of all software today work with x64 since x64 can handle x32 bit software aswell.

Veltro - if you could post your specs - In my experience you need a 64 bit multicore CPU as a minimum I would say to ensure its not sluggish.

In theory a 64bit CPU should blitz a 32 bit one - but the reality depends on many different factors.

Another point, keep in mind that you can't upgrade a 7 x86 installation to a 7 x64 one, you have to replace it (well, in theory you could do it but it requires knowledge and, above all, a lot of time to do it properly).

Otherwise it's pretty straightforward, everything 32bit just works, plus everything that has a 64bit version benefits from more RAM and performance.

The only things NOT working with a 64bit version are old hardware with no 64 bit driver (for usb peripherals you can use the Windows XP Mode), 8 (but they never worked on any WinNT) and 16bit apps (but I think they are deprecated in the 32bit version as well, and you can, once more, use the XP mode to use them).

Also keep in mind that despite having more RAM, you won't benefit from it with 32bit apps, as all 32 bit apps won't address more memory and they share the same memory pool (meaning that even if you have 12Gb RAM you wont be able to use more than 2Gb per app or 4Gb among all 32bit apps).

Last point, if you have a fairly recent (and decent) DX10 or 11 graphic card, you really should think to transition to SF2, on Vista/Seven systems it actually performs better than SFP1 with DX9.

Be also sure to have SF automatically deactivating Aero to get better performances.

32 BIT APPS have no effect on them in a 64 bit os environment they will function normally,not faster nor slower.

Guest Raden

well its better than vista 32

The below replies by some senior members/admin on ur question r worthy of serious consideration. They KNOW what they r talking about having tested/used and r still using the systems.

I copied this very page as I always found such topics useful just in case I encounter issues in near future.

Meanwhile, ENJOY this Links on similar issues. It is just a click's away dude....

http://www.google.co.id/search?hl=id&client=opera&hs=2Bx&rls=en&ei=ZX-6S8ehJ9G5rAf_hJjIBw&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&ved=0CAQQBSgA&q=ZDNET+REVIEW+ON+64+BIR+SYSTEM+VS+32+BIT+SYSTEM&spell=1

:bye:

The below replies by some senior members/admin on ur question r worthy of serious consideration. They KNOW what they r talking about having tested/used and r still using the systems.

I copied this very page as I always found such topics useful just in case I encounter issues in near future.

Meanwhile, ENJOY this Links on similar issues. It is just a click's away dude....

http://www.google.co...+SYSTEM&spell=1

:bye:

Note that the article you are reffering to is from 2007. In the article they talk about driver issues. Those issues do not exist anymore unless you own somekind of hardware that is ancient.

If you have a cpu that supports x64 and at least 4gb of ram then x64 is the way to go.

Guest Raden

Note that the article you are reffering to is from 2007. In the article they talk about driver issues. Those issues do not exist anymore unless you own somekind of hardware that is ancient.

If you have a cpu that supports x64 and at least 4gb of ram then x64 is the way to go.

Thanks for ur inputs.

BTW, I was a real fan of the legendary (DOD based?) APACHE AH-64.

I got some advise from a senior member/modder here who also has been active in the other trhread re choppers games here. I found his infos very complete, yet, if I use WIN 7 664Bit it requires time-consuming, a bit complicated settengs/adjustments and perhaps add-on softwares.

Here was our discussion previously:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/51584-questions-forwarded-here-from-tws-thread-up-there/

My question is (I am going to use soon the WIN 7 Home Premiu 64bits and wanna retain my "light" WOE of SF1 instead of the now gaining popularity, the SF2.

Is it possible to have something like a MERGED install for those two different gaes (the APACHE AH-64) and that of my current WOE SF1, in ONE same machine?

I have been just wondering what IF I install TWO OS, one the WINDOWS 98SE for the APACHE, and the WIN7 Home Premium 64bits for my WOE?

And, I wish to retain the not-so-many probles with my old partition of the current HDD, namely, C, D, and E.

Where should I install the WIN98SE for the APACHE? E or C under same Dir with the WIN7?

My sincere thanks for ur infos on them.  :salute:

Edited by Raden

Hey all, just curious and I want to make sure I have my facts straight. I am running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit, Intel Dual Core 2.2Ghz processor (x2), 3 GB RAM, and a 250 GB HD and I am running the Intel Integrated chipset for graphics. I know it will not look pretty, but can I run WOV/WOE on my system??? First series.

I'm not sure.

I tried running Il-2 (the old FB version) on my father-in-law's PC which had Intel integrated...it ran...and looked...like crap. Basically never broke 10 fps and looked like 1996.

I am running 7 64-bit here at work and it's a great OS. (Vista was good to, those with problems with it must have been encountering the dreaded PEBKAC)

I have not tried running any games on it though, so YMMV as far as that goes.

However, that aside, when it comes to 'upgrading', don't do it. Call it 'conventional wisdom' if you will, but never upgrade (in place) any MS OS. Partly because in the past the upgrade installs have been messy, and mostly because Windows, of ANY vintage is innately messy and degrades over time (like any mechanical device), and from time to time needs to be rebuilt. (each iteration gets better, but it is not likely to ever go away entirely)

So take the opportunity to avoid a (potentially) messy upgrade installation, and get your machine rebuilt all in one shot by just going with a clean install.

Yeap fellas. Never "upgrade" one Windows to another.

Always do clean install.

btw you can get a family license

that you can put onto 3 computers

much cheaper than buying 3 individual

Edited by DaSpungie

Correction, you could get a family license. I got one back in November. However, they're all gone now AFAIK because MS stopped making them. The only ones out there are those still in the channel/unpurchased, and I think those are scarce.

OK MY BAD SORRY

Say does it upgrade xp pro to 64 bit windows 7?

or just vista?

the data transfer tool works not to bad.

OK MY BAD SORRY

Say does it upgrade xp pro to 64 bit windows 7?

or just vista?

the data transfer tool works not to bad.

It is possible, but as many have stated before. It is always better to do a clean install.

ati and nvidias igp solutions are best,i have x200 and i still play modern games like hawx,half-life,css........ok not so modern games.

XP doesn't get a true "upgrade", it will wipe and restart the install. Only Vista can be upgraded (by that I mean your programs are still there).

I do know you can't upgrade a 64-bit Vista to 32-bit 7 or vice versa, either. You have to do a fresh install when changing that.

Just as I feared.

I have way too much to install.

Plus remembering all my auto cadd settings and stuff to transfer over.

all the players such as div-x real player quick time etc

and 30-40 games and all the save missions that or start fresh

all the strike fighters stuff say 80 gigs.

Also means that i would need to get ahold of autodesk and have them release one of my 2 licences for revit,because I can only have it on a pc and a laptop.

Even though the windows 7 machine is the same on as the xp.

Oh

Yes that reminds me.

the guys at runtime software have a fantastic tool.

drive xml

you run this and it will back up your hole pc to an external / internal hdd.

so if you need to recover, all you do is get minimal operating system going.

install drive xml run it point it to your back up.

and 90 minutes later your back in action.

all your settings desk top,programs e-mails everything back as it was as the day of your back up.

lat summer I had a major pc meltdown power supply went and took the mother board with it.

so after months of saving .

I rebuilt a newer fast pc,i5 gigabyte board 4 gigs ram and more.

put in new hdd ran my xp boot cd then drive xml and tada back in the game.

the best part is this little jem of a program is free.