Sign in to follow this  
trek

Playing (ORIGINAL Version of OFF)

I did a uninstall and reinstall of OFF yesterday. Just to experiment I played the game with the Original Version from the disc. I did not install the SuperPatch which I have. I'd been having problems with flight control after the SuperPatch which I installed as soon as it became available. (FYI: I've had OFF since day one.)

For some reason OFF plays much better for me on the Original Version. I'm not a hard-core flyer by any means, but even with the flight model on the easiest, with the SuperPatch I was always fighting the stick with spins, trouble climbing, etc. Also, I'm getting better FPS and overall game performance with the original.

Has anyone else here experienced this and tried rolling back to the original version? I play 11 other flight sims and the updates on those did not have the same effect. The result is I'm seriously considering just sticking with the original.

I've done all the FAQ tweaks with both versions, as well as the ATI tweaks. Yes, I'm running an ATI Palit Radeon 4850GC. I think the consensus here was that the Radeon cards are not like as well by OFF?

My system and specs: Falcon-NW Fragbox 2 Gaming PC

Vista 32-bit OS

Intel Duo-Core E8500 Chip

4MB RAM

ATI Palit Radeon 4850GC

I've done all the FAQ tweaks with both versions, as well as the ATI tweaks. Yes, I'm running an ATI Palit Radeon 4850GC. I think the consensus here was that the Radeon cards are not like as well by OFF?

Not at all. It runs pretty well with my ATI4890. I think your biggest problem is called VISTA, not your hardware.

My system is similar to yours:

Intel Core Duo E8300; 4 GB RAM, ATI RADEON 4870; Windows Vista

It may be, that Windows Vista needs more knowledge to set up;

a friend and computer expert of mine did it for me - no problems here.

Yeah, Von Paulus and Oldham you may be right about the Vista issue. Although, I don't have any problems on my other FSims. Did they tweak the flight model in OFF to make it harder after the inital release (in other words has it changed with the numerous patches up to and including the SuperPatch?)

Also, what is the experience here with others running OFF in XP Comp Mode and/or setting the Affinity with Duo-Core?

Yes, as far as I remember, the Superpatch and the following one were the ones to make the AI

as dangerous as it can be now.

But you have a choice again in the new "Hat in the Ring" add-on. There in "Workshop" you can

choose between "aggressive" and "less aggressive" AI.

The "less aggressive" AI is flying very much to their own safety, but not totally passive.

They use their advantages that way, that a SPAD for example climbs out of a fight and circles

high, until it sees a very good chance for an attack. The fights end after some time with maybe

none or only two, three aircraft down. If you want it less aggressive, this would be your choice

(if you have "Hat in the Ring").

Thanks for the info Olham. I was really asking about the flight model for the player's plane. Whether the flight difficulty had been increased from the original OFF up to and including the SuperPatch.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm able to handle my plane great in the original verison of OFF3 (V1.0) and it being much harder (almost out of control) in the final SuperPatch version.

Also, if I have to stay with Ver 1.0 does anyone here know how to manually go into a file and fix the occasional gun jams you get in version one? That is the one feature from the final version of OFF that I'd like to have.

Hi Trek, I've been runing with vista 64 since day one and had no problems, the only thing i had to do was make sure the games runing in xp compatiblitiy mode?

Trek, what aircraft do you fly mostly?

I have not noticed a more difficult flying model for my Albatros. Before the latest patches,

I lost the lower wings sometimes, and crashed fatally. But now, after "Hat in the Ring",

I lost only the wingtip - maybe just luck; not sure.

I do not think, that the player's flight model was changed to more difficulty.

But maybe you would have to set up "Workshop" settings to your likes again?

Yeah, Von Paulus and Oldham you may be right about the Vista issue. Although, I don't have any problems on my other FSims.

The combination of hardware, software and user makes PC gaming a complex experience.

I had until a couple weeks ago a E8500@3.16Ghz, ATI 4890 and 4GB DDR2. The game was running better in Windows 7 than in XP. More FPS and much smoother. Now I've a I5 750@2.8Ghz, ATI 4890 and 4GB DDR3 and now is running better in XP than in Win7 with the same settings. I still have more fps in Win7 but it's smoother in XP. Even when I overclock to 3.4ghz I've the same kind of experience in Win7. So it's not CPU related. I think that in my case it's related to TrackIR. But the funny thing it's that TrackIR is working well in other games. So... you can see how things are not always straightforward. It's a pity you don't have a dual boot.

I think, more than ever, it's essential to have a dual boot to play games in PC.

What does that mean, Von Paulus: dual boot?

What does that mean, Von Paulus: dual boot?

Choice of two operative systems at boot.

I've XP and Win7.