Sign in to follow this  
Liberty24

Be prepared...a long post this one is

Just put together a new system, Q6600, 2X2GB RAM and a Sapphire 4870 video board. So dig out the FE disc from my disc library and put it back to the hard drive. Updated the original version with WWI_patch_021907, FE_Apr2008_Update, FE_Update_Oct2008b and FE_Update_Nov2008 patches.

It is quite impressive in terms of FPS measurement. I've got 53 to 59 FPS most of the time inside the pit as well as external views. As these numbers exceed my original expectation I am very much excited considering graphics are set to high as below

[GraphicsOptions]
DisplayDeviceID=0
DisplayWidth=1024
DisplayHeight=768
DisplayDepth=32
AspectRatio=1.333333
LensFlare=0
DetailLevel=4
ObjectDetail=2
ObjectTexture=2
CockpitTexture=2
CockpitMirrors=0
CockpitReflection=0
EffectsDetail=2
TerrainDetail=2
TerrainTexture=2
HorizonDistance=3
GroundObjectDensity=2
WaterDetail=2
CloudsDetail=0
Shadow=0
AntiAliasing=0

All the actions are smooth like silk.

But I have a few questions and hope some one would shed some lights on them for me. Never played any WWI games before not even the famous Red Baron which I have came across the title from time to time. As such my knowledge about WWI aircraft is extremely inadequate. Which aircraft is the best in the Great War?

Also is stalling rendered in FE1 or not? In IL-2, you can easily run into that worst situation...

Last but not least, I am really interested in knowing how old you folks are? I would be impressed if some of you are veteran WWI pilots:rofl:

Would someone also help me to configure my Saitek Cyborg X hatswitch? They don't map to the various views of the control file??:idea:

Edited by Liberty24

Not a WW1 fan myself although have picked a few bits up - not sure there are any vets left alive tbh

The SPAD XIII 220hp is very fast and was a mount of many aces - although the Sopwith Camel is much more agile and shot down the most enemy airplanes in the real thing Ive read.

Depends on the patch but it used to be very easy to spin the SPAD out of control - last time I played you could actually recover it though.

Prepare to die many times whatever you choose - and there are just so many ways to die in those flying box kites!

WWI aircraft must be very light weight. I mean its speed is around 70kmph means it's really like flying kites!

Nice new rig!

What system are you running? XP,Vista,7 or what.

If your interested Thirdwire has the new FirstEagles2 available for purchase. It is made for Vista and 7,but it works great on my XP system.

It is a little different format,but much more in gameplay.

AI will have you for lunch until you get pretty good.

I recommend SPAD XIII,Camel or SE5 for Allies. Albatross or Fokker D7 for Axis. Until you get used to the game.

Putting aircraft settings on hard should give you everything you can handle.

I am running Saitek Cyborg EVO and Hat switch is on snapview settings.

I highlight what direction I want to look with the mouse(in the control section of Options) and then click the hat switch that direction. I usually have to do this several times before it takes the command.

Make sure to check out the Knowledge Bases here(CombatAce) for more info.

Be sure to check out all the new mods for the game. They are AWESOME!!

I'm 54 years old. My Grandfather was a WWI vet...not in the air service though.

Probably the best all around aircraft was the Fokker DVII. Allied pilots liked the SPAD XIII because it was sturdy and fast therefore it was relatively easy disengage from a fight when the odds were against you.

Do you really need to patch the FE 1 installation with all the updates you've got from the download section ? Can't you just install FE 1 then patch it up with the Nov Update and that's all?

Do you really need to patch the FE 1 installation with all the updates you've got from the download section ? Can't you just install FE 1 then patch it up with the Nov Update and that's all?

All you need is the latest patch. It contains all previous updates.