Sign in to follow this  
Fortiesboy

Are settings VITAL- what do you use?

Hello

Lately, with my latest spec computer I've been able to run my settings at all 5s.

However, IIRC, some computer generations ago, the devs recommended NOT using 5 for terrain and scenery.

Uncleal made a recent comment re this

" Do yourself a BIG Favor, drop back to 4 on the Terrain Slider, to eliminate possible unexplainable video problems down the road. Plus while you're at it it's a good idea to drop Scenery to 4 as well, the purpose there is to elevate your FPS. And YOUR eyes won't see the difference anyway."

Devs - Is there substance to this warning, today, on a latest spec computer?

It would be interesting to know what OFF player's settings are? And whether you see any differences between 4 setting and 5 setting.?

Fortiesboy, a computer freak said to me about this question:

It may well be easier for your system to produce the visuals on settings lower,

but don't forget: the system then has to reduce the full quality to less, which

is again a process to be done.

He recommended to me: run it full high first; and only if you get stutters or

jaggies, move sliders down.

The landscape (terrain) and the scenery do indeed look fine on 4; even on 3.

Edited by Olham

Fortiesboy, a computer freak said to me about this question:

The landscape (terrain) and the scenery do indeed look fine on 4; even on 3.

Got mine on 3 and the terrain looks very good. Will post screens this weekend as I have not internet at home on my new PC at the moment - waiting for a new wireless modem to be delivered.

I've been running with all sliders at 5 for the last month or so and haven't run into any problems. If something 'unexplainable' is happening or going to happen with these settings I'd rather know about it and deal with it then run with lower settings and 'live in fear'. rofl.gif

Another thing is I quite enjoy having a smooth 35 or 40 FPS than a stuttering 60 plus FPS. So to me FPS isn't everything. Honestly, I don't really notice much difference between the terrain and scenery settings at 4 and then at 5 but I do like the cloud settings at 5. Clouds really add to the immersive effect in this game in my opinion.

The only difference I can tell between terrain 4 and 5 on my brand new spec PC is that I experience a few jaggies on 5, especially when changing views with TrackIR. Visually 4 and 5 are the same, but running terrain on 5 bogs down my system somewhat if near the ground at an airfield, over the frontlines, or in a 20 plane furrball. As Barkhorn stated, terrain looks very good on 3.

I've seen posts from the developers that the AI may run better on higher slider settings, but have never seen this quantified...and it's unclear to me which sliders may effect AI. So I usually try for higher settings. Currently running at 54455.

Can't tell much difference between 1 and 5 with Clouds, but FPS is almost unplayable if set on 5 and flying in a thunderstorm. The only benefit of running clouds on 5 is that the enemy can't see you behind a cloud.

Clouds don't seem to make much problems - Terrain detail and Scenery detail do.

I didn't feel a noticable difference of fraps with clouds on 5.

But they look wonderful on 5 !

Hardware moves along all the time. Some of us run on 5 but it will tax and cook hardware more, so as always if you have any issues put it back down.

Now 5 on P4.. mmm..

Clouds don't seem to make much problems - Terrain detail and Scenery detail do.

I didn't feel a noticable difference of fraps with clouds on 5.

But they look wonderful on 5 !

I agree. Myth busted. 54455 works well for me. I would make it 55555 but Unc would get very cross with me angry2.gif that's him over there this.gif