Sign in to follow this  
macelena

About RAF Phantoms

I´curious about something wich i couldn´t find out by google, and it is

The USAF versions of the Phantoms had double command, that is, the WSO could fly the aircraft ( but G version)

The USN Phantoms, however, had the RIO unable to fly the aircraft and focused on its systems

Any hint on how was it on british models? I presumed that it was the USN way as they got F-4Js and else, but i have no idea

Btw, would that configuration (USN) improve the capabilities of the fighter as interceptor in any way?

I´curious about something wich i couldn´t find out by google, and it is

The USAF versions of the Phantoms had double command, that is, the WSO could fly the aircraft ( but G version)

The USN Phantoms, however, had the RIO unable to fly the aircraft and focused on its systems

Any hint on how was it on british models? I presumed that it was the USN way as they got F-4Js and else, but i have no idea

Btw, would that configuration (USN) improve the capabilities of the fighter as interceptor in any way?

I think we should ask wether the USAF configuration improved something, since Phantom was developed by US Navy. Btw, Iam not so sure about all USAF Phantoms having double command I think only F4C and F4D had it.

About RAF Phantoms, they were based on US Navy Phantoms, so I think they had the US Navy configuration.

Edited by shotdown

The RAF Phantom's where based on the US Navy phantom airframes with Rolls Royce Spey motors and ancillary equipment in them... As to the setup in the Cockpit 1 Pilot and 1 Navigator... There setup was similar as to what you would get in the Javelin through the RN Phantom's all the way to the preent Torndao GR4 via the F-3. So its Pilot and Navigator...

All USAF variants retained the twin stick configuration: F-4C/D/E/G and RF-4C