Sign in to follow this  
Barkhorn1x

Need Testing/Set-up Advice

Yea, I'm back. Got my new box :clapping: , so that's the good news.

I am running W7 - full specs below and trying to get the settings right. I went w/ Olhams settings - unchecking all overrides - and his CCC settings as well. Sliders are set to (from memory) 553343 w/ normal rez skins and medium terrain. Frame cap set to 40

Testing w/ fraps has been uneven - as high as 38 average to as low as 27 - and choppy too. I believe that the low frames may be weather related although it is hard to tell as I get different weather conditions each time I test - although sunny days appear to be more FPS friendly.

Things I've yet to try:

- Setting .EXE files to XP Compatibiity

- Using AMD Fusion software

- Installing DirectX9

- Adding back in overrides

- Lowering framerate cap

- Going from 10.2 to 10.3 CCC drivers

...any suggestions in general and can one of you suggest a testing method that would "isolate" the weather so I can see if that is indeed a major factor?

System specs:

AMD PhenomII X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU (3.4Ghz)

Single Hard Drive - 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

LG 22X DVD+/-/+/-RW + CD-R/RW Dual Layer Drive

MSI 770-G45 AM3 770 Chipset CrossFireX Support DDR3 Socket AM3 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 1 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI

4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module

Windows 7 Home Premium

600 Watts Power Supply (XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply)

HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB DDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [DirectX 11 Support]

TIR4 w/ TIR5 sofware

10.2 CCC Drivers - DirectX11

Edited by Barkhorn1x

It can't use DX11 as with many existing games and sims.

Try disabling crossfire and try it, seem to remember some people getting good fps doing that.

Try changing AA and Anisotropic filter settings in ATI panel. See FAQ try those settings.

I think Barkhorn1x doesn't have two graphic cards, no crossfire.

IMHO I think you've a problem with your computer... it's unbalanced. The CPU it's powerful enough.

But ATI 5670 it's just an entry level for gaming. In my opinion to weak to play with that sliders.

Olham's graphic card, if I'm right, it's a ATI 4870, which is more powerful than yours.

So you've to cut down in your sliders. I suggest something like 443343.

Disable shadows in config. In the workshop I'd set the Ground Object Density to Low.

In CCC I'd set everything for Performance (not High Performance) instead Quality; You can try enable ATI Catalyst AI to Standard or Advanced, it gives some FPS boost in some games.

Just curious . . . what's the excitement about DX11 Support. Didn't know OFF could benifit from it

No excitment or benefit really - but when you purchase a new ATI card that's what you get. Sounds wonderful doesn't it? :ok: But no games that I play use those features. :cool:

I think Barkhorn1x doesn't have two graphic cards, no crossfire.

IMHO I think you've a problem with your computer... it's unbalanced. The CPU it's powerful enough.

But ATI 5670 it's just an entry level for gaming. In my opinion to weak to play with that sliders.

Olham's graphic card, if I'm right, it's a ATI 4870, which is more powerful than yours.

So you've to cut down in your sliders. I suggest something like 443343.

Disable shadows in config. In the workshop I'd set the Ground Object Density to Low.

In CCC I'd set everything for Performance (not High Performance) instead Quality; You can try enable ATI Catalyst AI to Standard or Advanced, it gives some FPS boost in some games.

Correct, one card - no crossfire. And, hmmm... thought the card was a bit better than entry level and better than the 4870.

OK - did some further testing - and found that the issue is specifically present when flying into the cloud bank in the Quick Scenario *** mission that I use for testing.

Clear weather = 42 FPS

Stormy weather = 22 - 24 FPS

W/ overrides - Clear weather = 40 FPS but a bit smoother

W/ overrides - Stormy weather = 22 FPS but a bit smoother

Oh, and here are the variables that had (little or) NO effect:

- Setting .EXE files to XP Compatibiity

- Using AMD Fusion software

- Dropping the cloud slider to 1 gave me 2/3 extra FPS in the stormy test mission - just not worth it

So...I am quite happy with the FPS on sunny days and not at all happy on stormy days (kidna like real life, ya know :grin:).

Now, I will test lowering the sliders as Von Paulus suggested - and disabling shadows. And I will also test different CCC settings as suggested by Polovski. But...since the issue is weather related - two specific questions:

1. Will loading DX9 do anything ?

2. Will killing all the weather overrides actually have any effect in this situation?

Thanks for all the advice fellows.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

*** Why the heck do ALL of these Quick Scenarios feature cloudy/rainy/foggy weather? One would think they were all created from the same template or something. :cool:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Correct, one card - no crossfire. And, hmmm... thought the card was a bit better than entry level and better than the 4870.

Your card is recent than any 4xxx series. But a top card like 4870 or 4890 can only be beaten by a 5850 and above. Of course 4xxx don't have DX11 support.

But that's not important for most games.

1. Will loading DX9 do anything ?

1. I don't believe you'll have a better performance with OFF. But no harm in trying.

Don't forget also to try and set to low the Ground Object Density. You don't loose so many visual quality and it will help you a lot in some scenaries.

Also put the CCC to performance instead quality and try AI catalyst. 5 there and another 5 there it's 10. It can make a whole difference.

Thanks Von Paulus. I know there is a setting out there that will balance the eye candy w/ smooth, high FPS on stormy days. I MUST FIND IT!!!! :idea:

So...Oh boy - more testing for me. At some point I will acually get to fly. :good:

Just thinking out loud, have you ever given consideration to CFS3 QC for THERE you have total control over weather.

Yes, figured that out, thanks.

...rather setup your machine as a total Newbie would

Yep, that is where I started.

More testing last night. Long story short ***, my issues is CLOUDS (:ok:) – storm clouds to be more specific. Yep, going to overrides and disabling clouds shot the Quick Scenario FPS up to 40 and smooth. :drinks: This held true for rain and fog conditions as well.

So…I have two choices here:

1. Disable clouds and do without the eye candy, effects – BUT - experience a smooth 40 FPS in all weather conditions

2. Keep clouds unchecked and experience a choppy 22-24 FPS in storm cloud conditions (that would make Nov/Dec/Jan flying not at all enjoyable).

Guess what I’m going with? Choice #1 :grin:

Hey, it ain’t perfect but at least it is very playable and the sim looks great - except for the lack of clouds of course.

Thanks all for helping me!!

***Here are the details in case anyone is interested:

- Dropped the CCC sliders to best performance levels = gained only about 2 FPS and the sim looked like crap – so not worth it

- Disabled shadows – no change in FPS

- After I discovered what the issue was (clouds) went to 554555 and only lost about 6 FPS – but was not smooth so best to leave the sliders at 553344

Edited by Barkhorn1x

So…I have two choices here:

1. Disable clouds and do without the eye candy, effects – BUT - experience a smooth 40 FPS in all weather conditions

2. Keep clouds unchecked and experience a choppy 22-24 FPS in storm cloud conditions (that would make Nov/Dec/Jan flying not at all enjoyable).

Barkhorn1x,

First of all, Von Paulus and Polovski's advice to turn down your sliders is spot on.

Second, I've had the same problems with clouds with a ATI 5770, and have spent some time tweaking my new system. I bought the 5770 to replace a burned out 4870, and while it's close to the 4870 in performance, I've found that it has a few limitations in BHaH, depending on your CCC settings. I've applied all of the standard tweaks within the game, turned shadows off, running sliders at 553355, 1920X1080 resolution with in-game AA off, and Ground Density set on Low. My CCC settings are 2X(Box)AA, 2XAF, Catalyst AI Disabled, Mipmap Detail Level at Performance, AA Mode at Performance (Multi-Sample), Vertical Refresh Always On, OpenGL Triple Buffering On, using Catalyst 10.3 driver.

Two CCC settings dramatically effect clouds:

Use Multisample AA

The type of AA you choose in CCC dramatically effects performance with clouds. Supersample AA dropped my FPS in clouds from 60 to 15-25. Multisample AA dropped FPS from 60 to 50 (insignificant amount). There isn't much need for AA in the game, anyway, especially if running at a high screen resolution.

Set Mipmap Detail Level at Performance

Increasing mipmapping may improve the image in some games, but may increase jaggies even with high levels of AA. With mipmap density set to performance, you don't have to use much AA, so clouds aren't effected much. (This is contrary to the graphics setup FAQ, which recommends that Mipmap be set to Quality. I've always set it up that way, but could never get rid of shimmering landscape when flying low. Now the shimmering is gone.)

Third, I hate the white screen tears from TrackIR, it's a real immersion killer for me. So I'm using VSync with OpenGL Triple Buffering. Unfortunately, CCC doesn't support these features in all versions of DirectX, so I have to run D3DOverrider in the background. This effectively locks my FPS to 60 (occasionally drops down to 40), and eliminates screen tears when changing views.

Hope this helps...your mileage will probably vary.

Thanks all - will check out the lower CCC settings that effect clouds as I have no issues anywhere else - 40+ FPS.

First of all, Von Paulus and Polovski's advice to turn down your sliders is spot on.

BTW, did that - and turned off shadows - NO effect on the clouds issue. Ground density from Med to Low saved me approx. 2 FPS - not a material difference for me to lose that eye candy.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Thanks all - will check out the lower CCC settings that effect clouds as I have no issues anywhere else - 40+ FPS.

BTW, did that - and turned off shadows - NO effect on the clouds issue. Ground density from Med to Low saved me approx. 2 FPS - not a material difference for me to lose that eye candy.

I found the same thing...shadows off and lowered ground density didn't seem to effect clouds. And turning off in cloud fog actually lowered my FPS (seems counterintuitive...thought it would have helped). Turning down the cloud slider didn't seem to make much difference either.

I'm curious to know if turning down the level of AA works for you.

I'm curious to know if turning down the level of AA works for you.

Will post the results here.

BTW, you were indeed correct about Olham's card being more powerful than mine. :suicide2:

I'll live.

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Will post the results here.

BTW, you were indeed correct about Olham's card being more powerful than mine. suicide2.gif

I'll live.

It's still a decent card: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/ati_radeon_5770_5750_performance/default.asp The article makes the point that this card can't keep up with high levels of AA at higher resolutions.

Overclock it with ATI Overdrive or MSI Afterburner or AMD GPU Clock Tool. Buy another and Crossfire it. Or upgrade in a year when the prices on the 58XX and 59XX have come down.

Tested last night and NO joy. Also installed DX9 - NO difference.

Cutting down those settings gave me maybe 4 more FPS - and I did notice shimmering and a (much)less defined lozenge pattern on the stock DVII skin.

So, trading what are otherwise excellent graphics (except for the lack of clouds) for a marginal FPS increase and a decrease in GFX quality - just not worth it.

Such is life. :grin:

Thanks for all the help and advice all.

I'm going flying. :drinks:

Edited by Barkhorn1x

Throw in a GeForce 260 GTX . . and be done with it dntknw.gif

Next upgrade!! :good: