Sign in to follow this  
Slant6

mytai01's F-4B skins; some noses black and some noses white--in same flight!

Have been using some of mytai01's F-4B skins on WOV (patched to 8/30/06). Great skins, except in any flight, some planes will have black noses (correct) others will have the default white nose. Must be a decal issue. Any idea how to fix? Thanks.

Have been using some of mytai01's F-4B skins on WOV (patched to 8/30/06). Great skins, except in any flight, some planes will have black noses (correct) others will have the default white nose. Must be a decal issue. Any idea how to fix? Thanks.

There is some that were painted with white noses. Not all had black noses.

So even in the same squadron there might be some with black noses, some with white, but all other livery the same? yikes.gif

I have seen that before too and not sure what caused it. I did misread your post when you said the same flight. I thought you were talking in general.

I believe mytai did this on purpose. He has decals that are set to level=2 for each AC num, that cover the nose cones.

So even in the same squadron there might be some with black noses, some with white, but all other livery the same? :yikes:

Yes.

Yes.

Aha! I didn't know that. Just shows the US Navy wasn't all about conformity! I knew about the decallevel=2; I couldn't believe that mytai01 could have left in a glitch, as his work is so outstanding. Now I don't have to worry about fixing what ain't broken. Thanks.

Just for general info.  I was at Chu Lai with VMFA 314 in 1969.  We had F-4B's with black radomes, white radomes, and even a couple that were a real dark blue.  Underneath was a cover for APR25 antennas and these could be black or white.  Even the aircraft walkways were sometimes black, sometimes gray.  The issue was never conformity.  It was use whatever you could get your hands on to make sure the planes flew, be it parts, paint, whatever.  Conformity was stateside.

The nice thing about mytai01's skins is that there is enough variation that you can cut and paste to create any skin replica you want.  If anything, though, his radomes are too clean.  The sand used to tear up the radome surfaces something fierce.  Do a search of "VMFA 314 Chu Lai" at flickr dot com and you'll see what I mean.

Chulaikid

Thanks for the info sir and thank you for your service in Vietnam.

Thanks for the info sir and thank you for your service in Vietnam.

Dittos to what Dave72 said.