Sign in to follow this  
PadFoot

Running Wo* on Laptop Computer

I wonder if there are anyone up here who uses Dell Alienware M11x to run TW games. If yes, what is the graphics settings and what sort of FPS are you getting?

This Laptop is using C2D SU7300 which I believe is merely a lower mid-range mobile CPU. But it has a not too bad GeForce GT 335M graphics card.

Can anyone give me some input? Thanks!

The more pricy Alienware laptops could do the job but with a 1.3Ghz cpu, dont count on it. The graphics card could proberbly run the game pretty well if the cpu would be up to the job.

I intend to use this device for designing and testing user-made missions as well as testing out new mod. Eventually I still play the games on my desktop.

SF2 series are a better pick for that toy

1) I could run SF2 on 1.6 GHz Intel Atom with Intel GMA 950 graphics. If your CPU is not cut in operations per second for the sake of battery life it could perform better. Mine was playable in limited engagements (gun kill on F4!) but massive Linebacker campaigns caused fps drop to something like 1 frame per 2 seconds.

2) It can use DX10 rendering which is faster I presume.

You might be able to use good graphics settings but large-scale missions, high-desity SAM launches and carpet bombings by B-52 will go painfully slow at times.

Guest Raden

I wonder if there are anyone up here who uses Dell Alienware M11x to run TW games. If yes, what is the graphics settings and what sort of FPS are you getting?

This Laptop is using C2D SU7300 which I believe is merely a lower mid-range mobile CPU. But it has a not too bad GeForce GT 335M graphics card.

Can anyone give me some input? Thanks!

For ur info:

I have been using a lame-duck, nearly three-year old ACER with a mere INTEGRATED (not standalone) graphic card of only 244MB, 1.5 SDRAM or perhaps RAM2, 80Gigs of HDD.

Mine is hosting only WOE version 1 (FE1?) with a total of nearly ELEVEN GB files on it! (due primarily to planes's SKIN Texture under Aircraft in Folder OBJECT (so, I simply RARed those I do not use in same planes' file).

Graphic Settings:

- HIGH for Ground Objects

- UNLIMITED for SEA/WATER and TERRAIN

- MEDIUM for Shadows, Cockpit, and for bomb effects

- Cockpit Reflection ON

- HIGH as well for two others I do not recall right now since I am On-Line, too lazy to check them out in my WOE.

BTW, I reduced most of the WEAPONS bmp fies to either small or medium. Same treatment upon bmps in GROUNDOBJECTS.

RESULT:

Still enjoy an acceptable frame rae of maximum of 60 or 50, yet drop to 30 ONLY when I just smashed ground objects with VERYLARGEBombEffect. and especially when OIL Fields caught fire........

Soon will retire this lame-duck ACER, replace it with much more robust/powerful Specs, such as the NEW (here in Jakarta) LENOVO or ASUS. Kindly visit www.bhineka.com indonesia

Edited by Raden

For ur info:

I have been using a lame-duck, nearly three-year old ACER with a mere INTEGRATED (not standalone) graphic card of only 244MB, 1.5 SDRAM or perhaps RAM2, 80Gigs of HDD.

Mine is hosting only WOE version 1 (FE1?) with a total of nearly ELEVEN GB files on it! (due primarily to planes's SKIN Texture under Aircraft in Folder OBJECT (so, I simply RARed those I do not use in same planes' file).

Graphic Settings:

- HIGH for Ground Objects

- UNLIMITED for SEA/WATER and TERRAIN

- MEDIUM for Shadows, Cockpit, and for bomb effects

- Cockpit Reflection ON

- HIGH as well for two others I do not recall right now since I am On-Line, too lazy to check them out in my WOE.

BTW, I reduced most of the WEAPONS bmp fies to either small or medium. Same treatment upon bmps in GROUNDOBJECTS.

RESULT:

Still enjoy an acceptable frame rae of maximum of 60 or 50, yet drop to 30 ONLY when I just smashed ground objects with VERYLARGEBombEffect. and especially when OIL Fields caught fire........

Soon will retire this lame-duck ACER, replace it with much more robust/powerful Specs, such as the NEW (here in Jakarta) LENOVO or ASUS. Kindly visit www.bhineka.com indonesia

No offense raden but i find what you are saying very unlikely. What resolution are you running?

I have a Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz, 4gb of RAM and a 512 of vram on my 8800GTS512. I cant hardly run terrain on unlimited without getting choppiness. That is on the pre dx10 games. On the pre dx10 games i hardly would get 30 fps without the HDR mod. In heavy combat it can drop to as low as 20fps. So excuse me for beeing rude but i think you either dont have your fps right or you are bulls**tting us.

Guest Raden

No offense raden but i find what you are saying very unlikely. What resolution are you running?

I have a Q6600 @ 3.2 Ghz, 4gb of RAM and a 512 of vram on my 8800GTS512. I cant hardly run terrain on unlimited without getting choppiness. That is on the pre dx10 games. On the pre dx10 games i hardly would get 30 fps without the HDR mod. In heavy combat it can drop to as low as 20fps. So excuse me for beeing rude but i think you either dont have your fps right or you are bulls**tting us.

xclusiv8,

I AM NOT BSing u or anyoneelse here on the matter.

Let me clarify: 

My ACER can use a max of 4GB (Not MB) RAM2 or SDRAM I guess, yet, I can afford only 1.5GB as prices for Laptops RAM upgrades r skyrocketing in Jakarta and other major cities during the past six months. But, amazingly, prices for USB r dropping fast! An 8GB Traveller USB is only, in RUPIAH, 180.000,-, = USD1.80

SETTINGS r, right now after lowering, it is HIGH for SEA, MEDIUM for Cockpit, MEDIUM for (Bomb) Effects, HIGH for TERRAIN/Ground Texture, MEDIUM for Ground Objects..

The max FPS when not having Oil Fields burning wildly, had been 30 to a max just briefly 50, a minimum of 20.

BTW, I have been using the dx10 latest DLing from a Website FREE licenced by WS Windows some months back. 

I used to be using FRAPS a Video capture DL-able freely, and it worked OK when replayed, yet, as said, the FPS dropped as low as below TEN when ahead of me Oil Fields were burning. 

Aagin, the FPS is quite OK on NORMAL flight not "warping" to get to target quickly by hitting ALT+N, mine is shorter i.e. Keying N only by way of using the available OPTION.

Why must I be lying and BSing everyone on the issue and any other isuues??

It is OK ur comments, I am NOT offensed. Chill......

BTW, even three others r in HIGH in Setting, just saw it 30minutes ago.

Edited by Raden