Sign in to follow this  
waco1937

FE2 & Win 7

I installed FE2 on a Windows 7 machine and wonder if Jan Tuma's seasonal tiles can be made to work on such an installation. I know a number of people have it working on FE2 but not what versions of Windows.

I installed FE2 on a Windows 7 machine and wonder if Jan Tuma's seasonal tiles can be made to work on such an installation. I know a number of people have it working on FE2 but not what versions of Windows.

I have had no problem running FE2/Jan Tuma terrain on a Windows 7 rig. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but FE2 is designed for Vista/Win 7, so any problems with the Jan Tuma terrain would most likely be a graphics card issue. In many cases, terrain problems can be corrected by tweaking the FE2 files - there are several threads that describe possible solutions.

Thanx, Geezer, for the reply. I couldn't get Tuma's files to overwrite when I installed them. I'll work at it some more, knowing it can be done.

The modding structure in FE2 is different, no need to overwrite files? Just create a terrainS (S is important) folder in your mod directory and drop them inside.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but is this Mod directory created by the FE2 installer or do I create it? And where? I'm not up to speed on Windows 7's folder arrangement. I just installed Win 7 on newly built computer. Have been using XP for a few years after deciding I didn't like Vista.

I'm not trying to be obtuse, but is this Mod directory created by the FE2 installer or do I create it? And where? I'm not up to speed on Windows 7's folder arrangement. I just installed Win 7 on newly built computer. Have been using XP for a few years after deciding I didn't like Vista.

For Win 7, look in your My Documents folder for a Saved Games folder - you may have to hunt around to find Saved Games (depending on how your rig is set up). When you install FE2, it creates an FE2 folder in the Saved Games folder - this FE2 folder is what you use for tweaking/modding. All changes to files, or all new files, go in this folder - anything in this folder supercedes the game's files. If you don't like any mods or changes you have made, simply remove the offending files from this My Documents/Saved Games/FE2 folder and the game will revert back to the baseline install - usually.

To install Jan Tuma's terrain, create a "Terrains" (no quotes) folder in that My Documents/Saved Games/FE2 folder. All new terrain files go in this new folder - follow the installation instructions for Jan's terrain mod.

It takes a little getting used to after using Win XP for many years, but it does work. Also note that reports of CTDs when using Jan Tuma's mod - particularly Vogesen - are beginning to surface.

Okay, Geezer, found the Saved Games folder and dropped Terrains in with Tuma's files included and the new Cambrai and Verdun scenery showed up in FE2 when ran but not Flanders. Am I missing something? As one geezer to another, thanx for the heads up on this procedure.

Okay, Geezer, found the Saved Games folder and dropped Terrains in with Tuma's files included and the new Cambrai and Verdun scenery showed up in FE2 when ran but not Flanders. Am I missing something? As one geezer to another, thanx for the heads up on this procedure.

Glad to help. Dunno why one theater does not work when others do - I had similar problems with Jan Tuma's terrain. I'm working with some guys on some ground stuff, and we have noticed occasional problems with Jan's terrain pack.

I had to D/L the original Flanders and Vogesin terrains and then install(overite if needed) Jan's Flanders and Vogesin terrains to get them to work.

I'm not sure,but it seems like Jan's upgrades do not contain all the files.

After I did that they worked like a charm!!

Well Done,Jan,the terrains are terrific!! :clapping:

... it seems like Jan's upgrades do not contain all the files....

Yes this is true. I've noticed while poking around in the terrain folders while testing FRTown tile repaints that some files are missing and/or are not named correctly. Not complaining though, the creation of a mod the size of Jan's is bound to give anyone headaches and a slip hear and there.

For instance, in Flanders folder one of the FRTown tiles does not have a matching .tod file, if memory serves FRTown.tod needs to be renamed FRTown1.tod otherwise a default tod is used and instead of the great buildings you see the default shoe boxes. I doubt this was intentional.