Sign in to follow this  
OKOW

lots of unfinished project in F4AF?

i changed some 0 to 1 in "teplane.lst", so i have more plane to choose in the game, but i find out that some of the plane in the list will not appear in game while i choose my plane. are they unfinished projects? i also find out that in the sim data folder there are some data for planes that's not in the list, are they gonna add it in the future? cause im looking foward to it

Im Afraid its looking like support for AF has now finished - it was released in 2005.

However any patch would not change anything in regards to what you are asking because only the F-16s were supported flyable jets.

Sticking in a dodgy hack to fly the others - well you get what you get - and you have to live with any bugs.

cue posts about FF/OF etc blah

Edited by MigBuster

A lot of people were hoping for more releases, either new planes for AF or an F5. Instead, despite their talk of better-than-expected sales and such, after the last patch was released they had all of 1 update on their site (saying happy new year in I think 2008) and that's it.

I remember the guy doing PR/tech support for it at SimHQ was very active, then suddenly was rarely around, and the last time I saw him post he no longer had the "lead pursuit" attached to his user name. I asked about that, but he never replied or seemed to return again. That was an ill omen.

There was C3PO and ED_1 who used to go on the boards - C3PO defo has nothing to do with them - But ED_1 still posts now and then and tells us the next verion is stilll being worked on.

Then this pops up http://www.graphsim.com/

F4:AF for MacOSX 19th Mar 2010 (although bottom of page says 2005!)- its just AF ported over over apparently so nothing new - but maybe a fundraiser perhaps?

Yeah, C3PO, that was the one that apparently left without saying anything.

Personally, I think they made a big mistake. They could've simply made a new 3D model of a plane already in the game, enlisted someone like Aeyes to make a new cockpit, and released an addon/standalone expansion within 2 years of the release easily. Those 2 terrains were sufficient, the ability to fly the F-15E or F/A-18 would've greatly expanded the sim. I've no idea what their plans are, but I can only surmise it's a next-gen title based on the campaign engine and FM stuff from F4. Compared to things like DCS and Wings of Prey, F4:AF is now horribly outdated graphically (even Il-2 looked better, and it came out several years earlier) so they have to redo that side.

If they are working on it its a part time project for the team from what you can gather from recent posts - so I wont be expecting much anytime soon.

But yes agree that the next sim would have to reuse a lot of the code (which I think was C++ from old posts years back) so hopefully it should be possible to put changes to this together with a new/reworked graphics engine - and voila! :drinks:

I would have a wish list of 1 new terrain to be added, another flyable to go with the F-16s (F-18E/Fs maybe), with clickable single 3D pits, and the new range of weapons, works on multicore, Win 7, DX9/10