Sign in to follow this  
super61

Somali pirates target navy ship - Pic sez it all

Can't believe they did this...again. Also, if they are shooting first, then they are not suspected pirates, they ARE pirates! Argh! :yikes:

Edited by DWCAce

Either they've got balls of steel or they are utterly stupid.

Anyway, what does it have to do with "Military and General Aviation"?

Edited by Gr.Viper

Well they did fly a bit when the ship returned fire...

And the Darwin Award goes to....

Either they've got balls of steel or they are utterly stupid.

Anyway, what does it have to do with "Military and General Aviation"?

Military related?

My guess is the later. They've probably seen too many internet pictures of tiny animals making a huge beast flinch and run away, and they thought it be the same with the US Navy :rofl:

21st century American warship: 1, wooden raft: 0

approximately 330 nautical miles off the coast of Djibouti

Seriously if this means that skiff was 330 NM off shore and in open water then I'm amazed in more than one way.

My guess is, those guys were not that stupid as it seems. They probably knew the warship wouldn´t kill them, but take them on board and give them medical care and even food. I just hope this incident won´t make it public through the pirates, or all warships down there will need soon many supplies on food and medicine! Beside it is, like one of the coments in the link says, really a shame that african pirates gain free medical care, while some americans at home doesn´t.

That would be a good reason to just sink that skiff and let those bastards where they are! When you are playing with fire, you must know you can get burned...

Not only medical care and food but maybe a couple of years in a luxurious prison (NOT in Somalia) , with a lot more medical care, free clothing and free food three times a day. Matter of behaving well, maybe learn the language and - at least in some European countries - a the pirate has a fair chance of getting asylum afterwards.....heat.gif (because everything that is wrong in Africa is of course our fault, at least in the eyes of some political parties)

Hou doe,

Derk blink.gif

Not only medical care and food but maybe a couple of years in a luxurious prison (NOT in Somalia) , with a lot more medical care, free clothing and free food three times a day. Matter of behaving well, maybe learn the language and - at least in some European countries - a the pirate has a fair chance of getting asylum afterwards.....heat.gif (because everything that is wrong in Africa is of course our fault, at least in the eyes of some political parties)

Hou doe,

Derk blink.gif

Perhaps that was their plan all along. That or they were a gang of daltonic pirates and they didn't see it was a grey ship. I mean, except color, it doesn't look so different from any other cargo ship (I think)

This is what happens when you watch way too much Pirates of the Carribean.

Pirates of the Carribean, huh? You know, out of fiction, such a thing can have really happened. In 1635, Pierre Le Grand, a French beginner pirate sailing a pitiful boat on the edge of sinking, with 28 villains on board, had the chance to cross the path of a four-masts Spanish gallion, with a large marine contingent and 54 guns, each of them big enough to sink the French boat in one shot. The Spanish sentries looked at the approaching pitiful hulk with passive contempt, then paid no more attention, but when the assault began, it was swift and merciless. The pirates directly headed to the officers' quarters and captured them, including a Vice-Admiral. The giant ship then surrendered to the bunch of rogues. Besides the ship and the precious hostages, the pirates captured an impressive treasury in gold... and retired from piracy.

History is always full of lessons... especially for those who contempt them.

Yeah I just dont see that happening now to a US warship......

The last lot of pirates from that end of the world the US had captured, where handed over to Kenya... also if they where in a Skiff there would have been a mothership nearby... maybe the mothership had realised how stupid these idiots where and left them there... ??? And not knowing what to do decided on shooting up the first boat that turned up as it was nice and small one... :rofl:

Another warship, the French logistic ship Somme, has been under direct attack from Somali pirates during the night from Monday 19 to Tuesday 20, far away from the Somali coasts. Six pirates have been captured, and their mothership as well further away, with no loss of blood. The Somme happens to be the ship that already faced such an illogical attack in October 2009, with the same outcome. At that time, it had been said that the pirates had mistaken her at dawn for a merchant ship, but I'm beginning to think like AmokFloo that it's a new way of asking for asylum.

Even in the open sea the French can't escape immigrants and asylum seekers.