Sign in to follow this  
Silverbolt

Holy cow! it can't be!

it seems robert gates was here these days and signed or will sing a treaty with Brazil.

and my feeling is that the Super Hornet will have as its firs south america operator Brazil!

i feel that a historical momment will just happen in front of my eyes! i can't belive, i hope it concretizes till the end of this administration with a signed and aproved treaty!

super+tucano+usnavy.jpg

it seems robert gates was here these days and signed or will sing a treaty with Brazil.

Hope he has a good back-up band! j/k :lol:

Good news though!

Thats great news, but i was hopping to see a rafale in FAB colors

love the super tucano I had the chance to see one up close when we got them

I guess that depends on how much crap they pack into it...

Its wonderful how history repeats itself over and over in military aviation...

Vietnam...immediate need for the Skyraider

Cold War...immediate need for the A-10

Today...immediate need for the Tucano

No matter how much technology advances there is always the need for simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive aircraft.

Its wonderful how history repeats itself over and over in military aviation...

Vietnam...immediate need for the Skyraider

Cold War...immediate need for the A-10

Today...immediate need for the Tucano

No matter how much technology advances there is always the need for simple, reliable, relatively inexpensive aircraft.

Today more than ever

K.I.S.S.

Sometimes keeping it simple helps...

As for the Tucano it's a good airframe in use by quite a few militaries in one form or another and it's a pretty good COIN airplane... But for me it would need to have a big radial engine 8 hours loiter time inbuilt 20mm guns and carry plenty of ordinance oh they already did that it's called a Skyraider... oh well nothing like history to prove you wrong is there...

Hmm, never really thought about it, but I'm assuming that a fair amount of the A-1's where scrapped...

A Turboprop driven Skyrider would be nice, with new avionics, a second seat in tandem and a similar airframe like the old one

A Turboprop driven Skyrider would be nice, with new avionics, a second seat in tandem and a similar airframe like the old one

Could the turboprop take as much damage as the original radial piston engine and keep running?. If it can't then you should add a lot of armor.

Wouldn't a modern version of the Skyraider look a lot like this?

post-22093-12730785574033.jpg

The A-10 is actually (regarding the airframe itself) pretty low-tech....in a positive way.

Edited by Gocad

I also wonder if a turboprop engine would also offer the same amount of protection as the radial engine did....somehow I doubt it.

you can add armor, the turboprop will offer more power and a better range, and it would weight less too, about 700lbs less