Sign in to follow this  
12oclockhigh

Windows ReadyBoost

I read a post from someone who uses SS drives and that got rid of his stuttering problem completely. I also read a post by Polovski saying OFF reads from the disk drive during missions and that this could be a possible cause of stuttering. So last night I plugged in a 2 gb. flashdrive and let Windows use it in ReadyBoost mode. I watched the flash drive's 'busy' light and it flickered during loading parts of OFF so obviously Windows was using it in conjunction with my hard drive. I can't say that loading times were reduced as they are not a problem anyway. During play my FPS were pretty well unchanged but it seemed to me that the game ran smoother. Has anyone else tried this ReadyBoost feature with OFF or some other application and what did they think? I think ReadyBoost is available with Vista and Win7 but I can't remember if XP had the option.

Not heard of ready boost before...what is it?

It uses flash memory (i.e Flash Drives/SD Cards) to handle processes, thus improving computer responsiveness. I'm tweaking with it right now (one 8 GB SD card and one 4 GB Flash Drive).

Doesn't work on XP. XP does not support pages files on removable devices. After the reboot it sets the page file back to a hard drive.

Yep Vista and Win7. I have it enabled but it needs a very fast USB disk (I have a small fast memory card in a reader) but some flash sticks are fast enough (only some). To be honest I can't see I noticed an improvement.

Maybe with USB3. But even tough I doubt. SSD and SATA3 is the way.

12oclockhigh, I hope you don't get me wrong, but the smoothness you see couldn't be just a placebo effect?

Maybe with USB3. But even tough I doubt. SSD and SATA3 is the way.

12oclockhigh, I hope you don't get me wrong, but the smoothness you see couldn't be just a placebo effect?

Yes, it could easily be just that. That's why I asked for others to chip in with their experience. It's an interesting feature of Windows though to be sure.

Yes, it could easily be just that. That's why I asked for others to chip in with their experience. It's an interesting feature of Windows though to be sure.

Unfortunately I've only slow USB flashdrive. But my motherboard is already USB3, maybe I'll try with USB3 flashdrive, when they arrive.

I've tried it on two computers with Vista and on both of them, the system actually slowed down! Thanks, Bill good.gif

Maybe when USB 3.0 comes out, it'll actually work like it's supposed to.