Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT All 56 British Airports Closed

All British airports are closed, and all flights grounded until further notice....due to a dust cloud from a Volcanic eruption in Iceland.

Most European airports are, or will be shut down, as the cloud travels east

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/apr/15/airports-closed-volcanic-ash-iceland

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

I live straight under that cloud (like quite a few other people in Northern Europe). The ash is supposed to stay high and not come down, but it's been rainy and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it actually does come down. All air traffic has been cancelled.

Quite a shame things like that have to happen makes you stop and wonder. About the signs of time.

They're taking about it on the news right now

Saying "If you have a trip planned for Europe, it'll likely be cancelled"

I live on the Gulf Coast of Florida and we've got a lot of folks here on "vacation" from across the pond, ("holiday" for you British folks), makes me wonder how they'll all get home. Something on the news said this could last for weeks, even months. WOW! They're expecting some issues here as well.

Cobra427so

Volcanic eruptions in Iceland; meteors falling on the central United States; earthquakes in the Tibetan Plateau.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine, (to quote R.E.M.)

Just out of interest, did Mount St Helens clear the skies of aircraft in 1980?

Volcanic eruptions in Iceland; meteors falling on the central United States; earthquakes in the Tibetan Plateau.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine, (to quote R.E.M.)

This'll cheer you up then Lou.... http://en.wikipedia...../Nemesis_(star) grin.gif

Edit - Hmmm, this links right but acting funny.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Nemesis_(star)

Just follow the Did you mean link..... I'm copying the link from the title bar but the last bracket falls out the hyperlink for some reason. Never seen that before..... dntknw.gif

Edited by Flyby PC

Someone said to me the Dust cloud was actually caused by Cleaners at Newcastle United Football club...cleaning out the Trophy Cabinet!!!

Flyby PC wrote:

This'll cheer you up then Lou....

I've read about the Death Star theory before, and it does seem to explain some odd orbital behaviors in our galactic neighborhood. But I'm betting the Yellowstone Caldera will blow it's top long before the Nemesis scenario plays out, and that earthly event will be a planet killer spewing out enough nasty dust to rival Newcastle's trophy case cleaning.

Wish they'd stop interviewing people on the news about it, I mean no flights means er no flights, so people who were to travel <insert reason and destination here> are oddly not going to be able to do it. Do we really need to interview them all? Gawd. No news otherwise obviously. Almost as boring as the election we get to speculate about and end every program with "well we'll only really know at the final ballot on election day." Wow no ....

ZZzzz back to P4.

Anybody read the Daily Star? Small item about Captain Eric Moody, who actually flew his BA 747 'City of Edinburgh' through volcanic ash near Java in 1982, lost all four engines and calmly told his passengers "We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our darnedest to get it under control. I trust you're not in too much distress". He subsequently got the engines going again to land safely as a hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Anyway, according to Captain Moody, flying into volcanic ash is like "negotiating one's way up a badger's arse". blink.gif

Not kidding you... it's in the paper! The article declined to mention whether Captain Moody was pissed as a newt when asked for a quote. drinks.gif

Anybody read the Daily Star? Small item about Captain Eric Moody, who actually flew his BA 747 'City of Edinburgh' through volcanic ash near Java in 1982, lost all four engines and calmly told his passengers "We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our darnedest to get it under control. I trust you're not in too much distress". He subsequently got the engines going again to land safely as a hero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_9

Anyway, according to Captain Moody, flying into volcanic ash is like "negotiating one's way up a badger's arse". blink.gif

Not kidding you... it's in the paper! The article declined to mention whether Captain Moody was pissed as a newt when asked for a quote. drinks.gif

Nat Geo were very quick!...they put that episode of Aircrash Investigation on, same day!

One for Widowmaker and the other Brits........

Just been outside and got hit on the head by a lasagne, a black forest gateau and a garlic baguette?!!

Must be the fall out from Iceland!

My friends wife went to visit her daughter in the UK and now it seems that she is stranded there. Although she can stay at her daughter's flat until this thing blows over. I don't suppose that the airlines are liable for expenses for stranded passengers being as this is a natural disaster. It seems that the economic outcome of this event may be worse than first thought.

Tony