Sign in to follow this  
OvS

WWI still raging in our backyards....

As we keep expanding, and expanding our much needed, high priced Mc Mansion gated communities into areas that are spreading all over, they are finding more and more what our history is for illegal dumping of old war materials.

Like Long Island deals with Brookhaven Labs and the Manhattan Project, France deals with unexploded shells... outside Washington DC deals with this...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_dc_munitions_dig

No doubt there is a huge difference in 100 years, and a less populated earth.

OvS

Yes indeed. There weren't a lot of safety precautions and regulations like there are today. But still I wonder how these things can be forgotten and let to rotten for themselves. I bet they didn't even write a report or anything.

Yes indeed. There weren't a lot of safety precautions and regulations like there are today. But still I wonder how these things can be forgotten and let to rotten for themselves. I bet they didn't even write a report or anything.

In Florida, they run across this all the time with old ordinance testing grounds. Seems the real estate gets put back on the market after what some official considers a safe amount of time, only to discover the amount of un-exploded ordnance is all over the place.

But still, folks that live in European areas like France, Germany seem to have a better understanding of what to do with this stuff, and where it is. Maybe because the only testing they did was right on the battlefields?

But either way, it's proof that any war leaves more than the scars on the battlefields. Not only the un-accounted graves, but all the stuff we keep churning up.

OvS

OvS, we have a problem with Tabun and Senfgas granades in the Baltic sea.

After WW2, ships were sent out to dump these in special areas. But now, one

has discovered in old note, that these ships cannot have reach the dump zones,

cause their times for the trips from start to return was far too short.

In other words - they dumped the granades much closer to land; and no one

knows where.

The problem may be in everyone's hometown

Just about every town has a Civil War Monument and stacked welded Cannonballs are common

Problem is they weren't too careful back then and many were live instead of solid shot

Remeber seeing this mentioned on a news show awhile back, but here's a similar link:

http://news.google.c...AAAIBAJ&pg=6137,1265839

Yup, always sumthin. I had an old friend roughly 30 years ago...looked like Santa Claus, big old burly fellow that loved to go metal detecting all over the Civil War battlefields in our area. He had what amounted to a regular museum in the back part of his abode. Fascinating guy. I went with him a few times and he was really a miraculous person with a metal detector. I was great at finding old pop can tops....you know those #$$# #%$^ing little rip off ones from the 60's and 70's. He could go straight through my sweep and where I heard only junk pull out shot, or buttons, or canister balls.....really disgusting. Truly amazing to watch and learn from. Anyhoo, he reenacted as well, and never bought powder. We queried him on this fact and he responded, "I'm using the real thing." By this he explained he was using real-actual over 100 year old Civil War powder he extracted from all the shells he exhumed. Remarkable. He stated..."I haven't bought powder in years".

He was a cracker jack, and knew his stuff too. He said there were a few kinds of shells that, when he had dug down to them, he knew them by just seeing a few inches of the casing, that they were impact detonated not fuzed timed, and he would never just dig them out. He would gingerly uncover as much as possible (even using a small pick and a toothbrush), get a rope around the mid section, run it back a few hundred yards, and then yank it out while he was behind a nearby tree. He said he never had one go off, but he wasnt taking any chances.

ZZ.