Sign in to follow this  
UnknownPilot

Runway 36

What is the significance of "runway 36"? I've seen it in countless things. Just a couple of the most recent examples - Orbiter uses it (IIRC), regardless of the audio callout, it's always either 18 or 36 in SF2:V, and even Strike Commander (from 1993) uses it.

Anyone know the background of this?

36 = (360 Degrees) North, 18 = (180 Degrees) South

Edited by Whammer

Runway's are normally named for the nearest magnetic bearing... so for 36 = 360 25 = 250 etc...

I'm pretty sure they never go with '00'. Though if you really want to know, you can dig out the FAR/AIM :)

I'm pretty sure they never go with '00'. Though if you really want to know, you can dig out the FAR/AIM :)

00 is 36

Good point, thanks.

But that still leaves the question of why they always pick THAT one - ok, occasionally it's 18, and I realize that is just coming the other way, but it's never 90, or 270, or 145, or 70, or whatever....

AIM 2-3-3 Runway Markings

The runway number is the whole number nearest one-tenth the magnetic azimuth of the centerline of the runway, measured clockwise from the magnetic north. The letters, differentiate between left (L), right ®, or center ©, parallel runways, as applicable.

Interestingly, Felts Field is about 10 or so miles from Spokane International. Like us, they have a runway 3/21. The actual heading of the runway is 8 degrees different from ours, its actually quite noticeable. And of course our departure heading and their runway heading is only 14 degrees apart, one less than the 15 needed for divergent course separation. I learned that the hard way yesterday...

Edited by GrinchWSLG

In "real life" runways are oriented based on geography and/or prevailing wind patterns, so they can be facing any direction. For instance, I believe our runway is 20/200 and the Skid Strip at CCAFS is 130/210.

Games of course will just have the programmers make things easier on themselves by making them N/S or E/W.

I think the reason for saying "36" is just that it's easier to make out on a radio than saying "00" or "double 0."

Come to think of it, I've never gotten a vector for '000', only ' three six zero'. So yeah, no runway '00' :grin:

No zero zero runway headings or vectors. With radio communications sometimes getting garbled or 'walked on',it could be confused with say three zero or two zero which some airfields could have both runways. Three six leaves no doubt.

The runway number is closest to magnetic take off heading.

There are many runways in the world being renumbered right now because of magnetic north drifting over the last many years.

Runway 36 in Panama is closer to true north than say runway 36 in Alaska.

If possible most airfields try to point runways toward prevailing winds. Runway 31/13 for winter and 1/19 or 36/18 for summer.

As far as games go,it's easier for the computer people to orient the airfields N/S or E/W when making the terrains.

Edited by ezlead

If possible most airfields try to point runways toward prevailing winds. Runway 31/13 for winter and 1/19 or 36/18 for summer.

As far as games go,it's easier for the computer people to orient the airfields N/S or E/W when making the terrains.

Just seems strange that they always resort to N/S. hehe :smile2: (which is why I thought there might be some sort of significance for it)

Think square tiles in THE SF. Its easy numbers in the config.file so easier to make runway go up/down vertical, or side/side horizontal -- either x or y are constant and the varying coordinate is easy to follow.

Granted with 2km tiles, I'm tempted to use 45 degree runways to get SQR(2) longer runways that can still fit on one tile. That means a bit more complicated numbers though. Also approach and departure waypoints. Also, placing airfield objects is easier if one coordinate is held constant over a number of objects. Or something close to that.

I actually noticed that many video games use 88 as a runway number, even though it's not even possible to have a runway 88. I know that 1942 and 1943 (on the NES) have runway 88, the TV Anime and video game Area 88 have runway 88 (natch), an old playset I used to have had runway 88 on it (with 44 going the other direction :blink:), and I seem to recall a movie or two (Maybe Sky Capitan...?) having a runway 88.

Runway 88 would be runway 16. Both are kewl numbers so its all good.

00 you can read in some contries at the doors of the WC. :clapping:

"Hey can we land at runway 00? We have an urgent need!!!" :grin:

Edited by Gepard

00 you can read in some contries at the doors of the WC. :clapping:

"Hey can we land at runway 00? We have an urgent need!!!" :grin:

Such as a 'Bladder Over Pressure' light?! :grin:

88 was probably used because if the texture got flipped it would still look the same.

Good idea. Runway 99 would flip to Runway 66, an iconic American Classic :good: