Sign in to follow this  
Barkhorn1x

Program Priority Command Line?

Can someone please provide that short text line that you can insert on the shortcut target line to bump up program priority?

And, yes I tried setting via Task Manager (even tried a program - PRIO), but the settings don't "stick".

I Don't know anything about the inner Workings of Windows 7, obviously you don't as well.

You are very helpful. But on this issue? Not so much. :no:

I didn't exactly fall off of the turnip truck when it comes to PCs/modding/etc. All I need is the correct syntax to make W7 do soemthing it should have the built in option to do anyway.

I do know of someone who attempted to run 'crossfire' with a single video card, that's not the actions of a computer wizard drinks.gif

Don't know who that was but it was not I.

Sorry but I don't know any command line that do that.

But you can try Process Lasso.

Thank you sir. If it works I will buy it.

I finally found that link I referenced:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/53985-found-something-that-may-help-smooth-the-game-out/

...a post from ConradB:

Hey guy / gals,

I was on another forum and found something that was posted to help with the little microstutters. I have tried this on 3 missions now and it seems to help at least on my rig. It also seems to have made a slight improvement to the framerates.

The way to apply this,

1 Create a shortcut on your desktop or taskbar quicklaunch for the game exe. (If you don't already have one)

2 Right click on the game exe file and go to Properties.

3 Add this to the target box ahead of the target info: C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /realtime "" make sure to leave a space after the second quote. And yes those are single spaces before the forward slashes.

4 It will look something like this : C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start /realtime "" "D:\Program File.........................................................................

5 The game exe will change to a command propt, so don't freak out, it is normal

All you have to do then is launch the game from this shortcut, and see if it works. If it doesn't work for you, it is easy enough to repeat the steps, and just delete the added line.

Hope this helps!

Again, I didn't come up with this, or figure it out. I just learned from someone else at a different forum for a different game. You can also try the same thing for other games that may be giving you some microstutter gameplay issues

Am going to try the Lasso prog as I want to assing affinity cores to each of the 4 EXEs being used for OFF:

- OFF Manager

- CFS3

- TIR5

- Logitech software

I finally found that link I referenced:

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/53985-found-something-that-may-help-smooth-the-game-out/

...a post from ConradB:

Am going to try the Lasso prog as I want to assing affinity cores to each of the 4 EXEs being used for OFF:

- OFF Manager

- CFS3

- TIR5

- Logitech software

Are you trying to improve frame rates, stuttering or what? Assigning Affinity to cores is not the same as "loading high" using a batch file, regedit in Local Machine or using a CMD/high switch in the shortcut's target line.

Assigning Affinity does have some pluses, but "loading high" really doesn't offer any real improvement since W7 handles processes so much more efficiently.

If you want to see exactly what is happening when you run OFF, use Process Monitor and setup a filter to diagnose what impacts OFF.

plug_nickel (Al)

It would seem that both of us display a failure to comprehend the meanings of our native tongue.

Ordinarily I would let something like this go - but since you are the pedant - I will correct you.

The specs list my chipset and PSU as crossfire ready - as they are. But since I have a single card - also listed in my specs. I don't need crossfire and never claimed otherwise. N'est-ce pas?

Are you trying to improve frame rates, stuttering or what? Assigning Affinity to cores is not the same as "loading high" using a batch file, regedit in Local Machine or using a CMD/high switch in the shortcut's target line.

Assigning Affinity does have some pluses, but "loading high" really doesn't offer any real improvement since W7 handles processes so much more efficiently.

If you want to see exactly what is happening when you run OFF, use Process Monitor and setup a filter to diagnose what impacts OFF.

plug_nickel (Al)

Oh, I understand the difference between assiging affinity and priority. And the Lasso app does both and since I do get the occassional stutter - may as well do both. :cool:

You can also disable the HD indexing in Windows 7.

You've 4GB?, right? If not, I'd also try disabling the superfetch.

Strother Martin . . said it best .. in 'Cool Hand Luke' . . "What we have here is failure to communicate"

Great movie - favorite scene - besides the famous egg scene - the "car washing" scene. :yikes:

Love ya man! :drinks:

You can also disable the HD indexing in Windows 7.

You've 4GB?, right? If not, I'd also try disabling the superfetch.

Yep - got the 4 gigs. I'll try dumping the indexing too!

Can never have enough tweaks. :good:

Also try to disable CPU green functions in BIOS and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by Von Paulus

Also try to disable CPU green functions in BIOS and see if it makes any difference.

I will check on that as well. I reviewed BIOS settings when I first got the box and don't recall specific green settings. I'll look in the mobo manual.

Thanks for all your advice.

Heist, C-functions, these are normal in Intel. With AMD cpu's I don't know which you should look for.

If you like tweaks,you can take a look at Blackviper's site.

But honestly I don't think it will change much with your rig. The only thing that could really make a difference, IMHO, is a SSD disk and in your case a "decent" graphic card. :grin:

Edited by Von Paulus

Ouch! :heat:

Eheheh.

What you're trying to do with your new rig is right. Test, push and squeeze.

Have you any application to monitor and log CPU clock, cores, temp, memory timing, used, Video memory card usage, etc, while you're playing?

You should, just to see if everything is running well and above all when you need it.

I use Everest Ultimate edition. It works pretty well.

Last night I set the priorities and core affinities using Lasso and things did seem much smoother. :ok:

Thanks for the input Von Paulus.

I will check out that opther tool and see if something is out of wack. Don't think so - if the Lasso graph is at all accurate.

It might be accurate. Can it give the values for each core? That's only CPU, right?

It might be accurate. Can it give the values for each core? That's only CPU, right?

Yes, CPU only and and only a graph in - close to - real time. I need to explore a bit to see if there are log files available.

Important to know what OFF process uses in terms of core percentage, clock speed, multiplier. But if you download Everest trial version it will log in a html file, everything that you'd like to monitor.