Sign in to follow this  
toonces

how to change the cockpit fov?

Hello all.

I've been searching all over, but I just can't figure this out.

First, can I increase the rearward fov in a cockpit, for example the F-8, somehow? The fov seems too restrictive; I want to be able to look further to the rear and further upward.

Second, where is the cockpit.ini located? I have the catpack extractor thingy, but I can't find the file to open to extract the cockpit.ini file.

I realize this is modding 101 to you guys, but I just can't seem to search out the answer; even google is letting me down!

Thanks,

Toonces

Guest rscsjsuso5

if you mean , when you are in the cockpit and you want to look more at your seven or eight o clock and thus also 5 and 4 o clock . you must go to the your aircraft cockpit ini file and for example the a7

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=A-7D_cockpit

OpenCockpit=False

ExternalClipDistMin=0.05

Position=0.00,3.20,0.8 ------- adjust the values where x,y,z (where x is left and right and y is forward and backwards and z is up and down

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

Offset=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=175

remember - further adjustments are needed

i believe for your case is that you need to locate objectdata.cat and copy to temp folder , then drag the file over to and on top of the catpack program by gerwin and it will create a folder for you . just follow the direction and their you go.

reading/searching the knowledgebase can help also, I believe what i told solves your problems, just give it a try and it should solve your prolbem also make a backup just in case.

The following definitions in cockpit.ini under the cockpitseat section control player look angles in the cockpit. The variables are degree angles. For example....

MaxYaw=160

MinYaw=-160

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-60

MinPitchRear=-40

Yaw is left-right. Pitch is up-down.

Experiment to Taste.

if you mean , when you are in the cockpit and you want to look more at your seven or eight o clock and thus also 5 and 4 o clock . you must go to the your aircraft cockpit ini file and for example the a7

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=A-7D_cockpit

OpenCockpit=False

ExternalClipDistMin=0.05

Position=0.00,3.20,0.8 ------- adjust the values where x,y,z (where x is left and right and y is forward and backwards and z is up and down

Do not mess with these numbers...these have to do with the cockpit position in relation to the external model and have NOTHING to do with your field of view or how far you can turn your head in the vertical or horizontal. Use Lexx_Luthor's post instead for the proper technique.

FC

Yup, NEVER touch the Position statement, that's the pilot position, as was said above.

YOu need to edit these:

[CockpitSeat001]

ModelName=F-8E_cpit

Offset=0.0,0.0,0.0

Position=0.0,5.42,0.75

ViewAngles=0.0,0.0,0.0

MaxYaw=152 <---

MinYaw=-152 <---

MaxPitch=90

MinPitchFront=-48 <---

MinPitchRear=-35 <---

they are exactly what they say they are ... look left/right (yaw) the minus - number is right, positive is left

MaxPitch is how far up or down total "head" movement

MinPitchFront - look down at the cockpit

MinPitchRear - not quite sure, but most likely trying to "look over your should and down your back, as in 'does this flight suit make my butt look big??' "

Just like Lexx said!

negative numbers are downwards, so if you want to look down more into the pit facing front, increase that number.

---

To determince WHICH cat, we need to know WHICH game -- is it 1st Gen SF/Wo* or SF2 series ... since sf2 uses 10 objectdata cats.....

wrench

kevin stein

Man alive you guys rock.

I am specifically looking to mod Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam, the whole enchilada version that was for sale about a month ago bundled with the whole SF2 series.

I have that catpack utility and have used it to resize the text windows and all; it's figuring out WHERE that cockpit.ini file is (for example, the cockpit.ini for the F-8 and F-4 versions) that is kicking my butt. Everything else you guys said makes perfect sense.

Once I know how to find the cockpit.ini I am looking for (ie. F-8), I can use that info to mod other pits as required.

Thanks!!!

edit- also, if any of you guys have modded your own pits and have some values you really like personally, please share if you don't mind. Like I said, the F-8 and F-4 are the two jets I'm flying a lot of right now, and the view limitations are tough in a dogfight.

Edited by toonces

ObjectData007.cat has ALL the Cruds inis (data, cockpit, avionics, loadout)

wrench

kevin stein

Hey guys, thanks for the help!

I've finally gotten around to this again, and I managed to get it to work.

Edit- almost...when I pack it and put it back into the main objects folder, my F-8s are completely black- no paint, decals, etc.

The cockpit FOV works, though :)

Any idea why the skin isn't showing up?

Edited by toonces

if it's a 'new' version of the Crud, you have to extract all the skin bmp, create a new folder for them (named to fit what it it), an dplace them in the /Aircraft/*nameofaircraft* folder

(meaning: what exactly are you doing with the Crusader? Creating a 'new' version

Is this for 1stGens, or SF2? If SF2, i'll move this whole thread to the proper froum

Edited by Wrench

Ok, I'm messing up something with the catpack.exe.

I create a new folder.

I copy the ObjectDetail007.cat file into it. It is 408mb.

I drag it onto catpack.exe and get a new extracted folder. Inside the folder are all of the skin folders and .ini files.

I open the F-8D_Cockpit.ini file. Edit with notepad. Save.

Copy catpack.ece into the ObjectDetail007 extracted folder. Click catpack.exe.

It packs everything into a catpack.cat file. However, that file is only 187mb big.

I cut it out, paste it into the SF2/objects folder; rename to ObjectDetail007.cat

When I start SF2, my cockpit works but my skins are missing.

I think what is happening is that catpack is packing all of the "files" but not the "folders" in the objectdetail007 folder. The folders are all the skins.

I'm not sure what procedure I should be following to get everything in the objectdetail007 folder to pack into the .cat file.

It's for Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam.

moving this to the SF2 forums

you can't repak SF2 cats ... not a good idea EVEN to attempt.

You extract the cat to a temp folder, pull the items needed, drop them into the aircraft folder, then, depending on HD space, delete the extracted items. Very simple, very clean.

OR, get TKs new extractor, and pull the single or multiple files needed -- much less work

Edited by Wrench

Is there any way to adjust the cockpit FOV (the pitch and yaw values) in SF2?

That was my original question.

Yes, see the original answers; my post #5

btw, the view limitations, as stock, ARE exactly correct for the aircraft. Visiblit was always limited on these birds. They ain't Mustangs or F-16s with them big clear bubble top canopies

Edited by Wrench

I read your post, and it worked to adjust the cockpit pitch and yaw. But when I repack the cat file, it doesn't appear to repack the skin folders into the .cat file.

You said that you can't repack SF2 files.

So, that's the problem I'm trying to overcome. I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm just not seeing how to unpack and repack the ObjectDetail007.cat file from my SF2:WoV folder.

Edit- we're talking past each other with the edits. You answered my question above...I'll try again and post back later.

Thanks!

Edited by toonces

You extract the cat to a temp folder, pull the items needed, drop them into the aircraft folder, then, depending on HD space, delete the extracted items. Very simple, very clean.

those are for using Gerwin's cat extractor. GEt TKs .. its soooooooooo much easier to use

How about you tell us EXACTLY what you trying to accomplish? If just extracting/adjusting the cockpit ini, you extract the cockpit ini ONLY, and place THAT single file into the aircraft folder.

I can't make it any simpler than that. What your skin issues are, I have not idea, unless you've added/created a NEW skin/decal set. You're not giving a lot work with.

In your attempt to repack the cat are most likely screwing that cat up somehow. Follow the instructions I just gave you

Edited by Wrench

Wrench-

You actually explained it perfectly. The problem was I was using Gerwin's CAT extractor; TK's tool is extremely easy to use and is what I should have been using all along.

Once I downloaded it, it took me about 30 seconds to make the edit I wanted to make. I am now a satisfied customer.

Thanks,

Toonces

:good: