Hi guys

I'm looking for some advice. Now the usual size for a bmp file used for skinning is about 1000x1000. I've recently done some at 3000x3000 (9 times the size). Has anyone experienced problems with frame rates?

Always trying to get more detail into a skin, I've been thiking of doing skins at 5000x5000 (25 times the normal bmp in area). Is it practical?

Lloyd

Guest Raden

Hi guys

I'm looking for some advice.  Now the usual size for a bmp file used for skinning is about 1000x1000.  I've recently done some at 3000x3000 (9 times the size).  Has anyone experienced problems with frame rates?

Always trying to get more detail into a skin, I've been thiking of doing skins at 5000x5000 (25 times the normal bmp in area).  Is it practical?

Lloyd

Players. newbies all the more like me, will suffers a lot with suck LARGE dot bmp files, cause we still use meager machines with sometimes, NOT standalone Graphic, STRONG cards. But why don't u carry on with ur projects? There many members I believe, senior one like modders like u, who can afford machines/laptops.PC with a minimum of ONE TerraByte card.  :bye:

I'll try to release skins with an alternative 1000x1000 bmp file. Seems a reasonable compromise.

Lloyd

If you look at the stock skins, they're all standard base8 sizes ... 512, 1024, 2048. (unless you're Sundowner, and use the 4096s -like on some his SuperHizRez Rhino skins)

I tend to work with the 2048, as that's a pretty good trade off between details, size (where some birds have 5 skin maps!) and etc.

Of course, as long as the skin map is 'square', it really dosent' matter. Some of Gramps' older skins for DAT birds were 1500x1500

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

1024x1024 is a good compromise for me, not only for skins but there is a lot of work in cockpits too in case of frame rate hits......good.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

1024 and 2048 are good sizes to get good detail and not murder a weaker system. 4096 though is what I prefer because of the amount of detail. So I try to get them at that size if I can. What is really good about 4096 is if you downsize it to say 1024, you still get a lot of detail that you couldnt really get on a bmp that was 1024 to begin with.

I prefer 2048 and 4096. Gotta make the system sweat :good:

and as said, better work on higher resolutions and downgrade it later, as you cannot increase resolution afterwards, but decrease is not an issue

One TerraByte cards, what is this?

System ram is now between 2 and 8 Gb...and the most powerfull video crads are at 2 Gb !!!

Guest Raden

and as said, better work on higher resolutions and downgrade it later, as you cannot increase resolution afterwards, but decrease is not an issue

One TerraByte cards, what is this?

System ram is now between 2 and 8 Gb...and the most powerfull video crads are at 2 Gb !!!

Sorry SonyTucs, I mean 1GB not 1TB.:)) Yes, there are NEW Notebooks with a max of 8GB Memory and it's DDR3. HP, Lebovo, ACER I guess. Kindly have a look here www.bhineka.com, a computer on-line shop, whose one of its shop just 5 minutes away from my homebase.....

C u later.