Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Midway, revisted

Well, after almost 2 solid days fiddling with the tiles....gads!!

This is the best I can do with the tgas...there's still some 'glitchs' with some corners not quite matching, but you all will just have to live with it.

Repainted the lagoon/reefs a solid color, made some adjustments in the Alpha channels to 'harden' the land portions. Not the least bit fully happy with the tiles ... but it's a very slight improvement. (original set, with hardened alpha's ONLY will also be included).

It's no real wonder WHY noone has done Pacific Atolls ... they're a f***ing nightmare!!!

Here, we have one of Maj Parks' Wildcats taking a turn over the lagoon, with Sand Island in the background. (if you look carefully, you can see the desalinazation plant, now working, in the background below the wing)

wrench

kevin stein

Just had a thought ... now, all I need to do is talk Veltro2K into a parked static PBY ... a couple would look VERY nice bobbing about their mooring bouys in the lagoon and/or parked on the conviently provided seaplane ramp. (just above the tail)

wrench

kevin stein

Looks very good... hmm might have to re-install and get a WW2 mod setup now...

At first, I really didn't want to mess with creating/adding new tiles, but it turned into 'the only way to do it' kinda thing.... so, here's what we gots...( meaning: I added almost 8 new tiles!!)

first shot, using the standard tiles, with some tweeking

2nd shot, more of a 'Blue Lagoon' (which is slightly closer to physical reality, and fixes some issues) While not fully 100% physicall correct, with the eastern inlet/outlet to the sea closed, it solves a problem while creating another, but smaller ecological one. Best I can do, guys.

There's one tile I need to fix (the 75% corner on the left in the lagoon), so what'll happen, is this become a full terrain upload, that'll replace the pre-existing one. A few more final checks, some adjustments and in a couple of day, a revamped Midway.

BTW, since CVs are invulnerable, what are you all's thoughts of turning them into _T object, like I did on the Marianas, Okinawa, NorthAfraica and Tunisia?? That way, you'll be tasked to 'strike the enemy carriers', and be able to sink them. Unfortunately, it removes them as operational carriers, but Gepard has given us the "invisible airfield" right there (Nagumo's Force, TF 16 & 17) for planes to fly from in single missions

Thoughts?? Expecially from any campaign/mission builders...

wrench

kevin stein

Nice to see that this old terrain is still alive.

I must agree to Wrench. Making atolls is a nightmare

My first idea was simply to take satellite pictures and make them into 2km tiles. But the atoll was to big, so i would have a very big number of tiles with 95% water and the rest soil. So i decided to cheaten a little bit and make the atoll at it is.

Just a Note: My copy of Midway was missing the P40E2.bmp . Made it look neked. I ported a copy in from the Hwaii Terrian. I figgerd you spotted it already. Anyone doing a F4u GroundObject?

Thank, Michael!! I can REALLY feel for you on those atoll tiles ....they are an absolute NIGHTMARE to work with!! I also cheated, and created 'copies' -like Atoll4a kinda thing, and then repainted what I needed to TRY and get things to match up (getting corners to line up REALLY sucks!!!)

The other thing is, to make the Islands as seperate LODs, an actual piece dropped down on top of the water, like I did with Pearl Harbor's Ford Island -- I had Geezer create the object, skin it and then placed it.

As the upload will be the FULL terrain, the P40 skin will be included -- the one from Hawaii has the pre-war markings.

wrench

kevin stein

heres the newer 'corner tiles' for the lagoon (there's also still a small glicth on the atoll/sea50 right next to it at about 11 o'clock

wrench

kevin stein