Sign in to follow this  
OvS

OT Funny kite story

I don't know how many of you take your little ones out to fly kites, but if you do, you'll find some 'cute' humor in this story.

My daughter and I spend a lot of time together. We're like best friends more than Father/Daughter. So we went to Toys R' Us and picked out some nice kites to fly. She picked a standard diamod kite with a really nice Geko on it, mine was a colorful box kite, shaped like a star.

We wait for a nice, breezy day and head for the beach to fly them. Well, up they go. I notice right away that my kite pretty much sucks. It reminds me of 'Bit' from TRON... it's a star that is literally all over the sky. It's high, it's low, it's over here, it's over there... everywhere. I have no control over this thing... while my daughters Geko kite is flying true and straight, high and colorful.

Well, I am really struggling with this kite... which is making her laugh hysterically. I FINALLY get it up and straight, about 50 feet up, and about 20 feet from hers, however down lower. All is good.

About 5 minutes later, out of nowhere, her kite suddenly dives down on mine, and rams it, then pulls back up and flies true again, as if nothing happened. We both look at each other... she's really balling now, and getting a thrill out of this. Now the odds of two kites hitting each other are slim, let alone a recovery... wow.

No sooner do I stablize my 'Bit', her Geko does it again, however, more viloently... you could hear the kites hit each other.... mine goes down again, hers goes back up. I assume not statisfied with the results, her kite sees mine starting to recover again and attacks it once more, ramming it hard and wrapping around it, taking it down to the ground for the kill.

In total shock, my mouth open, I look at my daughter, who is now bent over, in a knee-slapping hysteric at the whole situation... I can only say...

'I.. I... wha... man, you're kite really hates mine.'

I credited her with 1 combat kill, and awarder her her favorite ice cream from the local Mr. Softie truck.

I hope I didn't bore you, and you did find humor in this story... take your kids out and fly some kites... it really is a lot of fun.

OvS

Fantastic story....that's the true Joy of being a Parent!...Memories like that!

They more than make up for the hard grind that Being a Parent can be at times, and shine like a beacon, when all around can be dark!

For goodness sake, don't take her on head to Head in MP OFF.....she may get Kill number 2!!! :lol:

They more than make up for the hard grind that Being a Parent can be at times, and shine like a beacon, when all around can be dark!

Just re-read that, and it sounds a bit melodramatic....but, you know what I meant? :grin:

Wow. You got schooled.grin.gif Priceless moments, and darn funny to boot. But you do know what this means don't you? Escalation time. So now its time to do what we did as kids. Use electiric wire for your kite string, and put two straws on each side of your new kite. I say NEW kite cause she obviously trashed your last bird!lol.gif Then , in each straw you slide in a bottle rocket. Wire these with solar igniters and light wire to your main kite string flying wire, and you are all set. When she's floating above you next time. Touch both ends of your "Kite string" to the terminals of a 9-volt lantern battery, and TAKE HER DOWN!!!

Ok, on second thought, maybe your wife should be on the other kite.....ok on third thought, the outcome would likely be the same there too. Pouting and crying.....and then running for your life. Forget I said anything.cool.gif

ZZ.

PS..Did I metnion we had A LOT of free time when we were kids? ummmm, and power tools.

Edited by zoomzoom

Cute story OvS

I think you're just lucky that it was her kite that downed yours!

drinks.gif Those are the priceless stories that touch the humanity in all of us, while teaching us the more important things in life.

What do you expect, OvS - she's YOUR daughter! Mmuahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

A nice story - saw it all happening right before my eyes; thanks for sharing, OvS.

Another kite story:

Udet and some comrades had once built a kite from some stuff, a really big one,

and they asked a little French girl, if she wanted to fly.

Not sure if they understood the answer - they grabbed the kid and attached her

to the kite and they really got it airborne with her hanging underneath.

Then the mother with a figure like 24 cannon battle ship came and screamed at the men,

for what they were doing there with her little one. All men ran away except for the guy,

who held the rope. The lady cried and screamed and beat him again and again, but he

wouldn't let the rope go, until the little girl was safely back on her feet.

The girl and her mother must have always remembered that for the rest of their lives -

and I often wonder, with what feelings about these German pilots did they remember it?

Edited by Olham

Make Double Sure there NO overhead wires, the results might indeed be shocking, or depending on the voltage of the lines, give you third degree burns on your hand, even possibly bring your kite flying adventures to a end.

A 1/2 an Ampere is enough to kill a person. . . if the voltage is high enough. And 345,000 is high enough

PS . . the wire will burn itself clear, immediately after your death

See... you do have a big loving heart!

You sound like my wife (mother)!!

We were at Robert Moses beach... no power lines within 10 miles of that place.

But all in all, it really is fun enjoying the finer aspects of flight with kids. But like ZoomZoom said, I was schooled!!! I have to escalate this... as we speak, I am surfing the net, looking for my next kite... something bigger, stronger, faster... with more control. She hasn't heard the last from Baron von Fart!!! I'm going to take that Geko down!!!

PS... She is thoroughly kicking my ass at the 'Punch Buggie' game by about 300 - 20. All I keep hearing from her when I am driving, walking, standing... whatever.. on the phone.. green one <pop>, blue one <pop> ... white one <pop> ... etc...etc...

The Black Baron's ultimate nemesis.... The White Angel of West Islip.

Kids. grin.gif

What do you expect, OvS - she's YOUR daughter! Mmuahahahahahahaaaa!!!!

A nice story - saw it all happening right before my eyes; thanks for sharing, OvS.

Another kite story:

Udet and some comrades had once built a kite from some stuff, a really big one,

and they asked a little French girl, if she wanted to fly.

Not sure if they understood the answer - they grabbed the kid and attached her

to the kite and they really got it airborne with her hanging underneath.

Then the mother with a figure like 24 cannon battle ship came and screamed at the men,

for what they were doing there with her little one. All men ran away except for the guy,

who held the rope. The lady cried and screamed and beat him again and again, but he

wouldn't let the rope go, until the little girl was safely back on her feet.

The girl and her mother must have always remembered that for the rest of their lives -

and I often wonder, with what feelings about these German pilots did they remember it?

I suspect, they probably remembered it as Enemy Combatants playing around like Naughty Schoolboys

great story good.gif .

my wife and i (last time i mentioned her she was still girlfriend) are expecting a daughter in end of august/early september this year. that's exactly those stories i'm looking forward to have in future life good.gif .

OvS: She hasn't heard the last from Baron von Fart!!! I'm going to take that Geko down!!!

Hihihi! No, you won't, OvS!

One smile of her will shoot you down in flames! Mmuahahahahaaa!!!!

Ahhh - I envy you, man!

great story :good: .

my wife and i (last time i mentioned her she was still girlfriend) are expecting a daughter in end of august/early september this year. that's exactly those stories i'm looking forward to have in future life :good: .

Congrats Creaghorn! That's fantastic news! '

Don't worry... girls are wonderful! Next thing you know, you'll be playing dress-up, learning all about horses, and sewing on Girl Scout patches to her vest too. And let me tell you, I do it because I don't want anyone else to. :good:

Keep us posted...

@ Olham... yep... you're 100% right. I've lost many a game, been decimated, and humbled on purpose just so she can have a good laugh. :cool:

OvS

Hope you got that shottie ready Otto for when she's 13/14. Boys will be boys grin.gif

Congrats, Creaghorn!

Yeah, Catch, that will be the hard time - when he has to let her go one day

with a bloke, who isn't half as good as him, and as he would have expected her to bring home. :grin:

A friend of mine has a 12 yr old Girl, and my son is 12 also.

We were comparing the slight differences in bringing up children of different sexes.

Whilst we both agreed, that the 'core' ways are the same (Good Manners, Politeness, self worth...etc etc)...there are also a few unique attributes between the way Boys and Girls are brought up...although, this also varies widely between individual Children I think, and also of course, whether you are a mother or father, and how that is different too.

(as you can guess...it was a long conversation, over a few ales!)

The interesting thing, was that because I have no experience of bringing up a daughter, and likewise he has none of a son...it then progressed to a "What if your Daughter, started to date My Son?"

This is where (probably due to too much beer) we both started to get rather defensive.

His feelings were of "I wouldn't want anyone making out with my Daughter, or hurting her in any way...or god forbid, getting her pregnant at too young an age"....all, of course perfectly understandable concerns, which I relate to perfectly.

I too, was protective of the Male Contingent, saying "I wouldn't like my son entrapped by a gold digging two timing hussy"

Two more beers were ordered, and the conversation degenerated still further!

"So, are you implying that my daughter is a Gold Digging Hussy then" (slurred speech by now!)

"Well Steve...You were the guy who implied my son would even want to get your Daughter Pregnant".... knocking Pint off table by accident!!........which thankfully stalled the conversation...we both looked at each other, and laughed! :heat:

We both realised the next day...that Children are the real reason we are here!..... they will never be perfect...there will always be upsets, difficulties, tantrums, naughtyness, annoyances, rows between couples as to the best way of doing things, mess, door slamming, loud awful music, cheek, answering back.......... but when all is said and done, we are reborn in them....they carry through our gentetics.....and even when we die.....a little piece of us, will live forever.

It's a sobering thought.

Parents I know, who have 'been through it'...and I sometimes look up at them in awe....as my son enters his teenage years..(which always brings a sympathetic Groan from the been there, done that parents)...all tell me, that you never stop being a parent!...it doesn't end, when they go off to University, or move to another city to get a job, or get married....nothing really changes at all!....you still worry about them, you still think about them a large proportion of your life.

And then (as some joyous sounding people on this forum have said)...you become a Grandparent perhaps!

So, what did the other nights Drinking session teach me?

Simple

Never discuss Politics, religion....or your Kids, when two parts gone!

Guess what?.....My parents told me that!.....and as a Typical son....I took no notice whatsoever!....until it happened....and I sat there thinking "Mum, Dad....you were right all along! :grin:

Lol UKWM. Very funny, very philosophical, very true. My son's 20. But he'll always be 7.

Congrats Creaghorn! That's fantastic news! '

Don't worry... girls are wonderful! Next thing you know, you'll be playing dress-up, learning all about horses, and sewing on Girl Scout patches to her vest too. And let me tell you, I do it because I don't want anyone else to. good.gif

Keep us posted...

@ Olham... yep... you're 100% right. I've lost many a game, been decimated, and humbled on purpose just so she can have a good laugh. cool.gif

OvS

thank you,

i already see myself driving in 3 a.m. through the city, searching for an open mcdonalds because she said: "daddy, wanna cheesburger". i don't think i'll be able to have some authority towards her at all because i'll be under her girly-pink-hello kitty-spell blink.gif

I credited her with 1 combat kill, and awarder her her favorite ice cream from the local Mr. Softie truck.

Good story clapping.gif. Sure she didn't do it on purpose?

When I was a nipper, I was friends with several Fillipino kids. Where they came from, kite combat is almost a national sport. So we used to go have kite fights all the time. It was serious, too. We mostly flew the old "bat" kites, and we'd tape razor blades on their leading edges and ice picks on their front points. After a fight, we'd patch the things up with electrician's tape and do it again.

Over in the Philippines, they have broken glass on the 1st few feet of kite string and the object is to cut the other kite loose. But we were more interested in destruction and forced landings so tried not to cut strings. Of course, it happened periodically with all the razor blades involved cool.gif

I can very much relate to this OVS! I have a small sporting kite I bought in London back in my student years. I always flew it myself as it is controllable, two strings and it makes turns and loops with very delicate pulls on the strings. This year my daughter (who I believe is of similar age as yours if I remember well, 10) insisted that she took the controls. I was amazed by her control authority over the thing and I just sat on the beach watching her have fun with it until her shoulders got numb. A pilot in the making, and I was thrilled by it.

sorry for hijacking your thread again, OvS.

last monday my wife and i went to the doc who checked everything as usual via ultrasound. now it is about halftime and what happened? what was thought to be a girl several weeks ago, turned out to be a boy now. heat.gif .

so obviously some particular part was hidden well blink.gif .