Sign in to follow this  
Duce Lewis

Calling all Brits

I got my Historic Aviation catalog in the mail today

It has a 5 hour Mini-series DVD "Piece of Cake" for $40 US

Details the Hornet Squadron in the 1st year of WWII

Phoney War, BoF, and BoB

Saw some good reviews on the web

I think this is a video from the series (Me 110's are actualy 109's)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hG8BoXXOp4

Has anyone seen it and is it worth the $$$?

Save your $40 and buy the book instead Duce.

The book is (was) controversial in it's 'warts and all' depiction of RAF pilots in a frontline squadron from '39 thru '40 but it's a good read, IMHO. A better read than the series is to watch.

And if you do read the book and like the rather bleak tone, then the author Derek Robinson has done the same with WW1, in a trilogy: 'War Story', 'Hornet's Sting' and 'Goshawk Squadron' - of which the latter is the best.

I rate 'Piece of Cake' the best of all his novels though.

[EDIT] Oh, and that YouTube video is NOT from the series [/EDIT]

Edited by Dej

You're going to be disappointed if you think that extract is from 'A piece of cake'.

It was well written with come good acting and characterization, but didn't really have the production values to recreate air to air combat. It focussed more on the lives of the men, rather than combat scenes.

There were some dogfighting scenes, but they certainly didn't utilize CGI (like that clip)

Edited by JohnGresham

Saw the TV series in the 80s, have the novel by Derek Robinson, and have had the DVD of the series for a few years. That footage does not look familiar to me - anyway don't expect many expensive flying stunts from an ITV series.

IMO its still one of the best films/dramas Ive ever seen - far superior to The BOB (despite it not being fact based) - some of the characters are just brilliant - and I cant see how you wouldnt find it entertaining.

fyi In the book Hornet Squadron (not real AFAIK) use Hurricanes.

Edit: Actually The Michael Caine take off bit in BOB rocks and is the only piece of comparable script IMO.

Edited by MigBuster

Yes I've seen it. I've enjoyed more from the drama point of view than by the quality of dogfights.

Probably I'll see it again sometime because I've recorded it from the TV with my DVDR.

Would I buy it? I really don't know. Maybe.

The British TV series have, usually, top quality. In a scale 1 to 10, I'd give 7.5 to "Piece of Cake".

P.S.

I don't remember to have seen that scene. But it was some time ago, so...

Thanks for all the replies Guys!

I found it on Amazon for $33 but I think I'll hold off for now

I wasn't sure on the video clip

The Google Link said it was "Piece of Cake" but there was no mention on YouTube

Thanks for clarifying

Thanks for all the replies Guys!

I found it on Amazon for $33 but I think I'll hold off for now

I wasn't sure on the video clip

The Google Link said it was "Piece of Cake" but there was no mention on YouTube

Thanks for clarifying

Duce check out the following links

http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/categoryID/FF75FF2D-AA3A-4590-8CD2-B42A4287E0A3/productID/EC2C7CBC-1312-4CC9-B0D6-69569E6A42D1/

I have bought quiet a few dvds from these guys. I really enjoyed the series, and enjoyed reading the book.

If you want books: http://www.derekrobinson.info/

cheers

And I was annoyed about 'Piece of cake' because there is at least one thing that happens in the book that was technically impossible.

Please send me answers on a £10 note and I will let you know if you are right...

"It was well written with come good acting and characterization, but didn't really have the production values to recreate air to air combat. It focussed more on the lives of the men, rather than combat scenes"

Er, what? Paying more attention to the people who lived through the madness of war, rather than concentrating on the hardware? What were they thinking of?

"It was well written with come good acting and characterization, but didn't really have the production values to recreate air to air combat. It focussed more on the lives of the men, rather than combat scenes"

Er, what? Paying more attention to the people who lived through the madness of war, rather than concentrating on the hardware? What were they thinking of?

Yes, that's exactly what I said wasn't it. Sigh. Why not re-read what I actually wrote, rather than trying to be so smugly sarcastic. Where did I say, or even imply, that they should have focussed more on combat scenes? I simply pointed out (in response to the original question) that they didn't have the production budget to do it and also said it was well written and well acted.

I have no doubt if they'd had the production budget to use CGI, (such as that featured in the original post), or special effects to feature it, that they would have used it, but they were instead forced to use mainly material re-edited from 'The Battle of Britain'

Now...What were you thinking of?

grin.gif

Yes, that's exactly what I said wasn't it. Sigh. Why not re-read what I actually wrote, rather than trying to be so smugly sarcastic. Where did I say, or even imply, that they should have focussed more on combat scenes? I simply pointed out (in response to the original question) that they didn't have the production budget to do it and also said it was well written and well acted.

I have no doubt if they'd had the production budget to use CGI, (such as that featured in the original post), or special effects to feature it, that they would have used it, but they were instead forced to use mainly material re-edited from 'The Battle of Britain'

Now...What were you thinking of?

Now that's smug. Get over yourself please. suicide2.gif