Sign in to follow this  
Orangehat44

Looking to get back into sims

Im a college engineering student who use to be a true flight sim nut. Had all the old janes games in the late 90's when I was still in grade school. Id stopped playing for awhile untill this march I stumbled across the silent hunter series and that rekindled my old love for sims. Through the subsim forums I discovered some other sim forums and the newer flight sims, obviously you have to really be looking, Sims dont get too much publicity next to the COD's and other FPSs that steal the limelight. I also got Birds of Prey for xbox 360 that quenched some thirst of flight as its a true beauty though more action orientated than a true sim. I got the Saitek AV8R that works for PC and 360, cause it was cheap I dont expect wonders from this stick, but I hope it can atleast let me fly abit till I can afford/ justify to myself dropping the $$ on a HOTAS (really drool over the Logitech with the FFB, my first stick was a logitech back in the 90s and they've always held a soft spot in my heart from my old equipment).

I did pick up IL-2 1946 as well as I was always a WW2 buff, and since I started flying RC planes my love for the old warbirds has only grown. But I got the itch for more modern jets as well. I loved Janes USNF97 and the USAF games. Anyways I think Ive made my mind up to get either LOMAC or the SF2 series for my first plunge back into the sim world. Im sure after I finish my last year of school and graduate next spring I'll be able to go alittle more wild and get every sim I want. But for now I just figure one from WW2 and one more modern will quench the thirst if you will.

I think im leaning towards getting SF2 and the SF2 Vietnam and Europe addons (they are addons right? thats what I could deduce from the third wire site). But why should I choose one over the other for the first jump back. Also What kind of features do we get with the newer sims, I remember the campaigns in the old games to really just be a series of missions in the same theater, so not really a difference from doing a campaign or just mission builders, or recreates of real campaigns (I believe the original longbow I played a gulf war campaign.) But I hear alot about dynamic campaigns and such for these new games.

So Im just looking for a scoop and seeing if anyone would recommend one sim over the other.

Thanks guys!

I posted a brief repliy to your question at SHQ.

(they are addons right? thats what I could deduce from the third wire site).

There's only one official addon in the works for SF2 series. The main games are bought and run independently, but can be merged for user's convenience.

The unofficial addons/mods however are thriving, mostly in downloads section here.

I had LOMAC and it definitely is a greaty sim. But the "keyboard drill" for it is extensive. I could never remember the vast array of commands. I felt like the Strikefighters series was a breath of fresh air. So I would recommend SF2 to you. That single purchase could keep you amused for years with the amazing number of addons and customizations available.

So SF2 and the likes of SF2:vietnam or Europe are all stand alones? I figured the differnt theaters were like expansion packs. Thats nice to know Thank you. I was definatly interested in vietnam or europe. And I thank you for your info on SHQ, I just wanted to poll the field so to speak, seems theres lots of different flight sim forums so I joined here SHQ and missions 4 today I think so I could poke around. Again thank you all.

Edit: just saw your post on my SHQ thread. What mods do you speak of are they game play mod fixes or more add ons. also im not the most computer savy and loved how in the silent hunter series i could run most mods with JGSME are mods for these games easy to install and understand?

Edited by Orangehat44

The SF series has a gentler learning curve than LOMAC, it is also easier to get quick fun from it than from LOMAC.

LOMAC is more centered on 90's/00's while SF is more centered around 50's to early 80's.

If eyecandy is your thing, then LOMAC can't be beat.

If missile lobbing is your thing, then LOMAC is probably the best choice.

If the only real kill is a gun kill, then SF is your cup of tea.

If you like to spend as much time creating as flying, then SF will delight you.

If you want to play online, then LOMAC is your only option (or SF1 games).

As for which one to get if you decide to go for SF, it's all up to you.

SF2 is probably the lesser choice, it is fictional, with an uninspired terrain, however it has ressources the other games have not AFAIR.

SF2V has terrain and a planeset for the Vietnam war, and the 3rd party Air & Ground War Expansion Pack takes it to a whole other level.

SF2E is for an hypothetical WW3 in Germany, with possible dates between the 60's and 80's, once again you can make it even better with a 3rd party effort, NATO Fighters.

SF2 uses an "open" structure, making it easy to create and install mods, some have installers, but for most it consists of copying directories, most mods these days are pretty straightforward to install and come with readmes, and the community is always here to lend a hand.

Mods range from skins to complete changes (with new maps, new planes, cockpits, skins, weapons, tanks).

You can browse the Downloads section to get an idea of what the community offers.

Edited by Gunrunner

What mods do you speak of are they game play mod fixes or more add ons.

In SF series mods can be anything from new weapons and planes to new campaigns and maps. Mod installation is simple in SF2 games, they were designed with that in mind.

I have been using this series since it first came out and I still get a lot of joy out of it... with all the mods it's even more fun.

If I buy the SF2 series from third wire web site can I download to 2 places. I have a desktop and lap top. My desktop can definatly run it but if my lap top can it would be nice to have it on both.

The installers are completely self-contained programs with no DRM. You can download to one computer, make multiple copies of the installer to archive, and install on multiple machines. No calling home, no intrusive DRM at all. Heck, the older generations of the sim, you could run off a USB stick...

FC

So when I buy I download an installer file. and I can copy that to other computers to install on mulitple places? thanks thats cool. Cause I was gonna be out of town at my gf's place and I just ordered my joystick to be shipped there. (She lives where I go to college. but Im living at home for 6 months for an internship so I go visit on weekends) so i bring my lap top. I'll probably buy it then to get a taste this weekend then put it on my desktop when I get back. I was trying to read through the knowledge base here but most of it seems to be pertaining to the SF1 series and wings over ____ series. Also it seemd on the third wire site there werent many patches on the download page concurent with the patches listed in our knowledge base. If I buy and download now will I get a patched version or will I still have to patch the game? if so where do I find those. Thanks.

All installers you get from TW site are patched up to date already.

And since the policy of the store is "buy once, download anytime", if you have a hiatus and want to reinstall later on, you can just get the latest installer instead of reinstalling from scratch and patching.

If you don't start over, you just get the patch, it's the most efficient in all cases.

Thanks, thats a real nice feature from third wire all right. I like em already, think i just might pick it up and download it when I get home if my stick is in. Thanks for all the help guys, Im sure i'll be back to pick your guys brains later, but one final question alot of people have recommended for IL-2 to just play the game stock as there inst much of a need for mods other than adding personal preferences, so I understand. Is there any must haves for TW series' or should I just start with stock and see how I like and what I want to add. I was lucky enough to stumble on the subsim forum from the start of my silent hunter career to learn that pretty much every rendition of the game required one of the mulitple super mods to make the game a real jem. But unlike the subsims seems like the devs of these flight sims put more time and effort. I just wanted to make sure there was nothing I needed right off the bat, try it out then add planes or other mods to taste I guess.

The games are playable and enjoyable out of the box.

However if you feel you want more, you can always find it. :grin:

okay one last query for you as ive been reading through some stuff and I do plan on picking up vietnam and europe, I assume a merged install is some how combining the games. Do they all load when you load the game then? or is it just for mod convinience, and how do you do one?

When you merge games (i.e. install them in the same folder in their release order - Nam, then Europe) you can run them with a single shortcut/executable. In the menus you'll be able to pick either of the two terrains, campaigns for both titles and use planes from one game on the map of the other in single missions if you fancy.

When you merge games (i.e. install them in the same folder in their release order - Nam, then Europe) you can run them with a single shortcut/executable. In the menus you'll be able to pick either of the two terrains, campaigns for both titles and use planes from one game on the map of the other in single missions if you fancy.

Also, just be aware that if you decide to add either of the free expansion packs for either of those titles (SF2:V Air and Ground Expansion Pack, or NF4+ for SF2E) that they're better added over a standalone install. You can, however, have a standalone install of each and a merged install. I think instructions for that are in the KB.

Okay basic question now, picked up veitnam, and its been so long im completly lost is there training any where?

Aside from learning where the key commands are, the game is meant to be learned by trial and error while flying, though there is a pdf instruction manual and my SARH tutorial listed above is a quick shortcut. I have made keyboard map for the latest SF2 mappings as well: http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6892&hilit=keyboard+layout