Sign in to follow this  
ace888

GIMP and Inkscape?

To All,

I would like to know if it is possible to build an aircraft by using GIMP and/or Inkscape? Or is it either program can only be use for "skin" design?

I have been told that Inkscape is vector base and GIMP is pixel base. I assume all mods on this form use pixel base?

Thanks

Aircraft are built in 3dMAX ONLY; Gimp CAN be used for skinning, but only once the UVmap has been created. Never heard of inkscape

wrench

kevin stein

Ace888, as Wrench said, you'll need 3DS Max for planes, and yes, all skinning and decals are raster based but you can use Inkscape for the initial work and GIMP for the finishing touch, in some cases it might make for a faster and cleaner workflow (even though it still requires more patience than I have).

Wrench, Inkscape is a vector drawing app, it is the perfect complement to GIMP for skinning and making decals (vulgarisation : you work with shapes you can resize and deform at will without loss of quality rather than pixels, then you export as pixels when you're done, giving a crisper result than working only in pixels, and it makes alpha channels work for edges easier too).

Wrench,

Thank you for the information.

Gunrunner,

Thank you for the information as well. Ya, I have been reading the inkscape program, looks pretty neat and as you described, better quality than GIMP.