Sign in to follow this  
dsawan

Can't get mods to show after full merged install

Hi, folks. I am havign problem getting mods like planes to show up in a new sf2 merged install. It is patched to March 2010 patch. i followed the knowledge base article. I copied the sf2I.exe, ran the game, exited out. then saw the new folder"Wahtever you like" and copied the objects folder whic contains my mods from my external hard drive to the newly created folder. I recently had to move my modded files to an external drive as my pc crashed. Now, when I start the game, only default planes show from emrged install and no modded ones. i checked the option.ini files in the new folder and it says directory is the new one. can anyone help to fix this? here is the link to the article in knowledge base I was using.

Hi all!

You may all know what I’m talking about already, but I couldn’t find it in the KB. I think I found a really easy way to have multiple installs of SF2 (or SF2V or SF2E).

Apparently, the name of the folder in your main ThirdWire Mod folder is not hard-coded but copied from the name of the EXE when it is first run.

So you fancy another intall!... Follow me:

Go to your main SF2 (or V or E) folder.

Make a copy of your “StrikeFighters2.exe” (or Vietnam or Europe, but you get that now).

You should get a new file called “Copy of StrikeFighters2.exe”.

Rename that file “Whatever_you_like.exe”.

Run it.

There you go! This will create a “Whatever_you_like” folder in your ThirWire mod folder (by now everyone knows where it is!). This folder is a carbon copy of the initial mod folder created by your stock SF2, with its own “option.ini”. When you launch your “Whatever_you_like.exe”, it will read this “option.ini” file.

In your “Whatever_you_like” mod folder, you can add or remove pretty much anything you want (as long as it’s SF2 compatible). However, if you remove stock aircraft (or other ground objects), you will probably CTD if you try Instant Action or stock Campaign.

So far, I’ve remove most of the US aircraft (I want a Western Europe vs Soviet) and add a new terrain, and everything works perfectly fine. Haven’t done a campaign yet!!!

Franck

http://forum.combatace.com/topic/40588-sf2sf2v-knowledge-base/

what's the FULL path of you mods folder???

example (mine, with XP; vist/7 will be slight different, /SavedGames/whateveritis)

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin J. Stein\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2

cause, what you seem to be describing, is placing stuff in the Objects folder of the CORE install, not the mods

C:\Documents and Settings\Kevin J. Stein\My Documents\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2\Objects\Aircraft

path

wrench

kevin stein

EDIT: did you start and RUN a mission from the new, renamed Exe?? That's what creates the mods folder

Edited by Wrench

Hi, kevin. here is the path. Also, i copied the objects folder to the saved games folder that was newly created and overwrote the old one so the mods will be there. i did not put them in the core one under program files. Only the new icon is there accrding to knowledge base from frogger. I used the israel.exe to create the new install and not SF@ europe. i dont know if that makes a difference cause frogger wrote this before Israel was released. Anyway, You can see it in option.ini:

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\“Whatever_you_like

Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\“Whatever_you_like\ScreenShots

Format=JPG

[Version]

BuildDate=Mar 2010

[MergedTitles]

StrikeFighters2=TRUE

StrikeFighters2 Vietnam=TRUE

StrikeFighters2 Europe=TRUE

StrikeFighters2 Israel=TRUE

Changed=FALSE

Also, i did run a mission as that is the only way to get the new folder to appear under saved games. the, again i copied the objects folder from my external hard drive to the new folder-Whatever you like" and overwrote the ojects folde there. I checked and the mods all copied over sucha s TSR bomber,etc. Spinners stuff. they are there but when i click on the desktop icon either from chsortcut or in thirdwire folder where core is, it does not show the modded stuff.

What I'd do, is back up the Objects (aircraft, any ground objects, etc) DELETE the new mods folder, DELETE the new renaname exe, and start over. Something DEFINATELY went wrong... the addons should always show up in Single Missions as long as they fall withing the years specified by the terrain's ini -as that's been changed from 1st Gens- and are not mission type limited

Also,when doing the new one, DON'T use SF2:I, use the SF2:E exe ... MUCH more flexibility there.

so...

copy/paste the sf2e.exe out somplace... then

Rename to SOMETHING better than "whatever_you_like", as that was used ONLY as an example! If its for an era-specifc or region specific type install, NAME it match the install type (depending on what it 'goal' is), just like we used to do with the 1stGen WW2 installs ... call it WW2PTO for example or SF2 MidEast Wars -if that's what you're going for. For example, for the upcoming KAW, the exe got renamed to KAW -- AND I cheated on mine; I created a KAW folder, copied all the 'core' files, renamed the sf2e.exe, and ran it. Basically, the Old 1stGen way, so there's 2 complete SF2 installs. Long way around, as I don't trust how this new system. Yet.

Don't forget to CREATE a NEW shortcut for the new exe ... that HAS to be done!

wrench

kevin stein

Hi, again. i tried again but with the SF2 Europe.exe. i made a copy in core folder. Started ther sim and exited. Then the ne wmod folder appears in saved games and then copied my objects with mods from external and overwote the objects folder in new one. The mods are there in copy-SF2 which is the new mod folder. But when you go to start it up, just the default show. Here is a copy of option.ini

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe - Copy

Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\StrikeFighters2 Europe - Copy\ScreenShots

Format=JPG

[Version]

BuildDate=Mar 2010

[MergedTitles]

StrikeFighters2=TRUE

Changed=FALSE

How are you starting the game? are you running it by double clicking the new exe you created?

I start the game by clicking on the new icon created according to the frogger post above in the thridwire folder. Basically its the icon that i copied the sf2 e.exe from and then made a shortcut to dsktop. So yes, I double click the new icon created.

Dsawan and anyone else wanting to do multiple installs.

Go to C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/StrikeFighters2 Europe.(Yours might be StrikeFighters2 Israel with the merged install)

Copy StrikeFighters2 Europe.exe and StrikeFighters2 Europe.ini to somewhere else.(Like in terrains)

Rename them: StrikeFighters2 Europe2 or whatever. Rename the .exe and the.ini the same. Put them in C:/Program Files/Thirdwire/StrikeFighters2 Europe or Israel besides the original .exe and .ini. That will give you 2 or more .exe's and 2 or more .ini's in that folder.

Run the new .exe game once from that folder. When the game starts you should have StrikeFighters2 Europe mainscreen. The game engine will make a new Mods folder with the same name as your new .exe and .ini.

Put a new shortcut to it and you have dual or more installs all running off the original "Core Files".

Now put your Mods in that new folder and try it.

I have 5 separate Strike Fighters2 games with 5 separate 'Mods' folders all running off of one "Core Files" install.

I know it's a pain,but most modders recommend putting Israel as a standalone install because of the changes.

If you have a problem PM me here and I'll try to help. :good:

Hi, guys. i tried accroding to above and still no good. it keps giving me only defauly planes. I only triedputting a few planes but no good. the new folder for mods did create but no go. here is the .ini profile. I was able to do this mod installation before and now its not working. Do you think TK broke the code with the latest patch?

[Mods]

ModsEnabled=TRUE

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\sf2 euro

Editors=StrikeFighters2

[screenShots]

Directory=C:\Users\dsawan\Saved Games\ThirdWire\sf2 euro\ScreenShots

Format=JPG

[Version]

BuildDate=Mar 2010

[MergedTitles]

StrikeFighters2=TRUE

Changed=FALSE

It's working finehere with the new patch. I think your exe is making all new folders somewhere else and you are not seeing where they are. That very thing happened to me once. Just a thought.